Hasek was pretty awesome in 1993-94, eh?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I mean, he was incredible from 1993 to 2000 in general, but could the 1993-94 season have been his greatest-ever season (regular season, anyway)?

His stats are kind of scary-good:
Save-percentage
.930 Hasek
.924 Vanbiesbrouck
.918 Roy
.915 Brodeur

GAA
1.95 Hasek
2.40 Brodeur
2.50 Roy

Goals Allowed (adjusted) -- this is where 0 is all shut-outs, 100 is average, and higher than 100 is getting worse
67 - Hasek
72 - Vanbiesbrouck
78 - Roy

The only major goalie stat Hasek doesn't totally dominate is the GSAA one (goals-saved above average), which goes:
56 - Vanbiesbrouck
54 - Hasek
44 - Roy

But when you look at how far ahead of Roy he is, I have to wonder what happened to Vanbiesbrouck that season, or if that was Beezer's very best season.

That GAA compared to the rest of the League is frightening. Has any goalie ever been nearly half-a-goal better than 2nd-best -- even Dynasty goalies? And then, look at how Hasek fared compared to his back-up, Hall of Famer (albeit in the low-point of his career), Grant Fuhr:
Won-Lost-Tied
30-20-6 Hasek
13-12-3 Fuhr
Save Percentage
.930 Hasek
.833 Fuhr
GSAA
53.85 Hasek
-10.83 Fuhr

I mean, that's insane.

Then, how did he make-out in the playoffs? I think it's often forgotten that Buffalo very nearly took down the strong '94 New Jersey team in these playoffs, losing by only a goal in game seven. Hasek certainly can't be faulted, with a .950 save-percentage and a 1.61 GAA. That is nutty for 1993-94!

In conclusion, Hasek was a good player in 1993-94.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's a great season but did you not look at his stats in 97, 98 & 99? They're all 3 better to me. If you include playoffs - 98 & 99 look even better.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It's a great season but did you not look at his stats in 97, 98 & 99? They're all 3 better to me. If you include playoffs - 98 & 99 look even better.
Sure, everybody knows about those seasons. That's why I wanted to celebrate this one a little more.

But you know, of those six seasons in a row he led the NHL in save percentage, this is the only one (sort of 1995-96 too) in a really higher-scoring period, and his save percentage is as good this season as in 1998 or 1999 when it full-on dead puck era. This is also the only season that he and the Sabres won the Jennings trophy for lowest team GAA... which is the more incredible given how poor Fuhr's results were this season. Also, Hasek's GSAA is as good in 1994 as in 1997, 1998, or 1999.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I love that Grant Fuhr got a Jennings trophy that year for his GAA of 3.69 (in a not-insignificant 32 games). Literally got the award in spite of himself.

I think that season probably gets less talk now because there was less talk back then. There narrative of Hasek as a superstar wasn't there yet from what I recall. None of us knew what Hasek was, and most of us didn't believe he could keep it up. Whereas by a couple years later, everyone was well aware that we were watching one of the greatest goalies of all time. When I think back about the late 90's, I remember everyone talking about his greatness and so those seasons stand out to me as great. Maybe it's just the difference in me being 11 years old vs. 15, but I don't have the same memories of everyone praising Hasek prior to the 1995 strike (it's sad that I mentally divide the NHL into eras based on work stoppages..).

Last edited:

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Folks remember Hasek’s ‘93-‘94 season for that sub-2.00 GAA. First time a goalie did that in 20 years. (Though GAA is not a great metric, given we have Sv% to go by.) Also, that epic 70-save, 4OT shutout against Brodeur and the Devils in Game 6.

John Davidson, who was then doing color for Rangers games on MSG-TV, said it best: “I don’t see any Bobby Orrs or Serge Savards playing defense in front of him.” That was probably the most impressive part: his defense was mediocre at best (with all due respect to guys like Randy Moller and Philippe Boucher).

Was it Hasek’s greatest season? I don’t think so, given what he would accomplish later that decade. But it was quite possibly his most significant season, as it gave birth to “The Dominator” and to an amazing era.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
all i know is if i put together an allstar team of players at their best i'd pick hasek to be my goalie. other goalies i enjoyed watching Vernon; liut; moog ; fuhr; roloson.

Last edited:

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
What I'd love to know is what was the general impression of Hasek at the end of the 93-94 season? Here's a guy who had a historic season in his first as a starter in the NHL after being extremely accomplished and touted in Europe, but on the other hand had just turned 29 and was not at all a "young" player. Were there concerns that his season was an aberration? Were some people thinking Pete Peeters or Bob Froese? Or was the universal consensus that Hasek was the real deal and would rival Roy for the rest of the decade?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Last edited:

Florbalista

Jul 28, 2019
Here is a contemporary HF-y thread (use at your own risk) from September 1994...Google Groups

It's not much, but it might help to paint a picture that not everyone was totally sure, while others were like "finally, he turned a corner...I knew it all along!" ...ya know, like a main board thread...

The link leads nowhere for me though.

I found this quote from mid-March 94 on Hasek, Fuhr, Jennings and Vezina:

Due to the Dominic (the Dominator) Hasek, the Sabres had
crept into a good spot to win the Jennings (fewest team goals
against) All goalies playing in 27 games or more share the
Trophy.
While Brodeur and Terreri has been on a streak for New Jersey
Grant Fuhr played in his 27th game and let in six goals.
Although he now claims half of the trophy (if won), his
continued presence in the goal mouth will no doubt
result in the Jennings being won by the Devils. Let's hope
Hasek plays most of the rest of the way. With an average under
2.00, he deserves something and in my opinion, the Vezina is
no lock although I believe he is the leading candidate.
Opinions, comments?

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
1.95 Hasek
2.40 Brodeur
(Forgive me quoting myself.) Above all, it's this stat that knocked me out. Hasek's GAA is nearly half a goal per game better than the second-best in the NHL, and it's not because his team was uniformly great defensively, as (a) Grant Fuhr's way below average stats show, and (b) the defence-core in front of him proves. Check out the 1993-94 Sabres' regulars on defence:
- Richard Smehlik (5th-round draft choice from Czech Republic in his 2nd year in the NHL. A good, solid, unspectacular player.)
- Randy Moller (this was his next-to-last season, he scored two goals and went -5.)
- Ken Sutton (third season as a regular, went -6. Never played more than 53 games in any season after this.)
- Doug Bodger (former 1st round draft-choice of the Pens, right in his prime at this point; solid, non-flashy player)
- Craig Muni (Leafs' draft choice they dismissed, became member of late-Oilers' dynasty. Stay-at-home veteran D-man, solid.)
- Peter Svoboda (Former Canadiens' D-man who seemed to peak in late-80s; played sixty games and went +11.)
- Philippe Boucher (rookie, played 38 games, -1.)

It's not exactly a motley crew, as some of of these guys were solid enough defensively, but then again it's hardly the Hall of Fame bunch of blue-liners you'd expect, given the top goaltenders' dominant GAA. Not one of those D-men ever won an NHL award or appeared in the All-Star game (except Boucher, who did so late in his career as a replacement for an injured Niedermayer).

So, has any goalie (with a respectable number of games played) ever led in GAA by such a dominant margin, including over his own back-up(s)?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What I'd love to know is what was the general impression of Hasek at the end of the 93-94 season? Here's a guy who had a historic season in his first as a starter in the NHL after being extremely accomplished and touted in Europe, but on the other hand had just turned 29 and was not at all a "young" player. Were there concerns that his season was an aberration? Were some people thinking Pete Peeters or Bob Froese? Or was the universal consensus that Hasek was the real deal and would rival Roy for the rest of the decade?

I'll be honest. I thought that Hasek was a complete fluke. The weird style and the outlier performance, it all seemed so unnatural.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
12 year old me would hate to hear this, but absolutely nobody could approach Hasek at his peak. Not Brodeur, not Roy. Their careers as a whole were longer and more productive, but peak Hasek was a force of nature.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Hasek was pretty great in 1987, 1989 and 1990 when he was the all-star goaltender at the world championships, backstopping Czechoslovakia to three medals and getting the Golden Stick award all three years as his country's greatest player.

In the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals Hasek was pretty awesome as he STONED Mario Lemieux on a famous 3rd period breakaway when the score was 4-4. If you haven't seen it, google it, as it was spectacular. Heck, watch all FIVE (5) times that game that Hasek stoned Mario Lemieux point blank (four Mario breakaways he stopped that night: sticked, gloved, padded, gloved).

I'll be honest. I thought that Hasek was a complete fluke. The weird style and the outlier performance, it all seemed so unnatural.
The great Tretiak was goalie coaching the Blackhawks and the media asked him why he was only helping Belfour and not Hasek, and Tretiak said Hasek does NOTHING that he teaches, that his style is too different.

As someone quipped a few years after that: "the only thing he does right is stop the puck" and he does that better than anyone else.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
In the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals Hasek STONED Mario Lemieux on a 3rd period breakaway when the score was 4-4. If you haven't seen it, google it, as it was spectacular.
I remember that. You could see Keenan on the bench shouting "Dominik!" to Hasek to get him ready to come on in relief. It was a thankless position to be in, but he sure made the most of it. He made a bunch of spectacular saves, and I was thinking, "Who's this guy?" I had seen him play in Canada Cup '87, but that was when I was 11 and now I was 16, and it seemed ages ago.

Prsut18

Jul 30, 2018
CZ
12 year old me would hate to hear this, but absolutely nobody could approach Hasek at his peak. Not Brodeur, not Roy. Their careers as a whole were longer and more productive, but peak Hasek was a force of nature.

Hasek´s NHL career was shorter probably mainly because political reasons... who knows what could have happen

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
The injury in 1992-93 was a blessing in disguise, because it gave Hasek and goalie coach Mitch Korn a lot of 1-on-1 time to refine Hasek’s game - most notably his glove hand and his patience - in a way that Tretiak could not (because Korn actually believed in Hasek’s technique).

As for the perception of Hasek coming out of 1993-94, THN ranked him as the 22nd best player, behind goaltenders Patrick Roy (#4), Felix Potvin (#12), and Bill Ranford (#21).

In terms of individual seasons, Hasek and Vanbiesbrouck had two of the very best of the decade. Vanbiesbrouck’s struggles in late-March and early-April (a stretch of 0-5-2, .876 goaltending) knocked expansion Florida out of the playoffs, otherwise he may have taken the Hart/Vezina, but his season was probably seen as more of a fluke than Hasek’s at the time.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Korn's first full-time hire was actually with Buffalo in 1991 - I got to work a few of his camps while he was in Buffalo, and that's where I learned to not try to mold goaltenders into a certain prototype but to shape their strengths and preferred style using best practices. I love Tretiak, but I could never see Mitch making a statement like that.

It's also where I learned to hate terms like "butterfly goaltender", since just the term imposes a style. The butterfly should be a save technique used when appropriate, but if you're a goaltender who thinks of yourself as a "butterfly goaltender" you're going to over-use that manoeuvre.

I've got one of Mitch's goalie guides (I'd guess circa 1997 or so) that I should scan and upload at some point.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
It's also where I learned to hate terms like "butterfly goaltender", since just the term imposes a style. The butterfly should be a save technique used when appropriate, but if you're a goaltender who thinks of yourself as a "butterfly goaltender" you're going to over-use that manoeuvre.

*sheepishly raises hand*

I usually don’t feel comfortable unless I have my right pad on the ice. My vision isn’t what it used to be, so I use it as a safety net for rebounds when I have a crowd. By the time people realize they can abuse my high blocker-side, I’m off to the next town with a new name and identity.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I usually don’t feel comfortable unless I have my right pad on the ice. My vision isn’t what it used to be, so I use it as a safety net for rebounds when I have a crowd. By the time people realize they can abuse my high blocker-side, I’m off to the next town with a new name and identity.

I was always a stand-up style goaltender who knew his vertical angles well (think a convex combination of McLean and Hasek but significantly worse than either).

Three years ago, I switched to butterfly style pads and the new cowlingless goal skates, which have been awesome for my game - being able to bite into the ice from a very low crouch position lets me really push hard (and quickly) to emerging events.

I feel you on the vision, though - I'm 45 and developing cataracts (which can ultimately be corrected) and macular degeneration (which may not be correctable). Have to rely more on angle knowledge and effort.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
As for the perception of Hasek coming out of 1993-94, THN ranked him as the 22nd best player, behind goaltenders Patrick Roy (#4), Felix Potvin (#12), and Bill Ranford (#21).

:help:

This is for another time and another thread, but I just don't understand how Ranford got so much mileage out of the 90 cup run and 91 Canada Cup.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad