Hasek in Pregame Warmup

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I have heard the rumor (first in The Hockey News I believe, and a few other places after that that I can't recall) that when he was on the Red Wings (the first time), Hasek would go through entire pregame warmup sessions without allowing a goal. Is there any truth to this? Due to many factors I doubt this ever happened but was wondering if anyone had better info on it.

WeissFC

@WeissFC
Mar 11, 2010
www.futureconsiderations.ca
I have heard the rumor (first in The Hockey News I believe, and a few other places after that that I can't recall) that when he was on the Red Wings (the first time), Hasek would go through entire pregame warmup sessions without allowing a goal. Is there any truth to this? Due to many factors I doubt this ever happened but was wondering if anyone had better info on it.

Might be true. I know that there are teams that will go though warmups and go out of their way not to score because of confidence factors. I'd bet it would be more for this reason than anything.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If Hasek sees the puck, he stops the puck. And so shots from the blueline in pregame, yeah, I can believe it. He had outstanding reflexes and eye-hand coordination.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Hasek was notorious for being so competitive that he would hate to allow goals, even in practice, so I would assume that extended to warmups as well.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
It's probably not all that difficult to do if the goalie is focused and the shooters are not. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a warm-up shutout (but I don't go to that many games and have never seen a goalie of Hasek's calibre), but I've definitely seen warm ups where only one or two goals were allowed

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The more pucks Hasek faced, the better he got. He was his weakest early in a game and got better and better as the game went on. Or so it used to be said. I haven't seen any 1st,2nd,3rd period, OT breakdown stats for Hasek.

So, to play in warm-up as if it was a game situation would help him get into the game earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad