Has this messy offseason diminshed your excitement for the 2020 baseball season?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'll be watching the Blue Jays progress this year, they have some stable pitching which is a plus.
The guys from last year will have a better go around this time.

I'm excited for em, also around the league as well.
See how the Dodgers do this year, could be a make or break season for Dave Roberts.
Hoping to see Oakland make it farther than the last two years.
Another couple teams I'm gonna keep an eye on, White Sox/Reds/Angels.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
...I'm excited for em, also around the league as well. See how the Dodgers do this year, could be a make or break season for Dave Roberts. Hoping to see Oakland make it farther than the last two years. Another couple teams I'm gonna keep an eye on, White Sox/Reds/Angels.
Agreed. I'm excited to see how the Dodgers, White Sox and Cubs do and to see how the Astros are treated on the road.

Oct 18, 2011
Im actually really looking forward to the season atleast for LAA, if nothing else they should be entertaining even if they are mediocre. Arte really f***ed us overruling the Pederson trade though

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Even with the Astros thing included, the thing that irritates me and wrecks my mood for the game more than anything are the teams adding the protective netting. The Jays are putting the netting up on almost all of the 1st and 3rd base lines. The people with their phone in their nose win...................the rest of us who have watched a baseball game since 1900 and know the risks and actually hope to catch a foul ball lose. Thanks MLB.
After half a season, you won't even notice it. Don't let that ruin the game for you. If anything, now you can check that urgent email on your phone or talk with your kids without fear of you or others in the crowd getting concussed.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
After half a season, you won't even notice it. Don't let that ruin the game for you. If anything, now you can check that urgent email on your phone or talk with your kids without fear of you or others in the crowd getting concussed.

He probably complained when the NHL did the same after the young lady died in Colombus. Some people just cannot stomach change.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Even with the Astros thing included, the thing that irritates me and wrecks my mood for the game more than anything are the teams adding the protective netting. The Jays are putting the netting up on almost all of the 1st and 3rd base lines. The people with their phone in their nose win...................the rest of us who have watched a baseball game since 1900 and know the risks and actually hope to catch a foul ball lose. Thanks MLB.

There are times when I'm at a game and I'm taking in the atmosphere, buying a beer, doing whatever and I could not be able to react to a 100MPH foul ball off the bat. There have been many line-drive foul balls that I have lost in the sun/lights etc. I'm not locked in on every goddamn pitch like I'm in the batters box when I'm at the game, why should I be? I'm trying to enjoy everything that being at a baseball game has to offer and blaming people for being on their phones is a weak attempt.

Do you think everyone that attends a game is able to react to foul balls? Now add to that, are they able to react to the extremely crazy bounces those foul balls take off seats/hand rails/stairs etc? Not everyone can be a superhuman and react to these things.

Blaming people on their phones is such a lazy attempt, but that is to be expected I think. Besides, those nets still allow plenty of foul balls to reach fans...not even sure what you're talking about. They even lift these nets up when BP is happening so fans can interact with the players still, at least at Mariners games they do - so, what is the issue?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

We'll see. It is just a dumb idea. I don't check my email at a baseball game, I don't even bring in my phone. Why would I? Nothing kills the atmosphere more than texting every two minutes during a baseball game. Was at Fenway last year, about the best place you can watch a baseball game and even in between pitches I was just soaking up the atmosphere............I mean, you are at Fenway Park! Enough said. Who needs to check emails then?

I still think the netting behind the nets at NHL games is unnecessary. It takes away from a souvenir. Or watching the pregame warm up and literally hoping for a puck to go off the crossbar and into the crowd. That was always part of the atmosphere of the game. Now? How many pucks go into the stands at an NHL game? The odd one, but it might happen once a game. Why cheat the fans even more? The leagues have gotten worse ever since they've let the lawyers take over. You think that for $200 tickets you can have a shot at a souvenir right? Not anymore.

There are times when I'm at a game and I'm taking in the atmosphere, buying a beer, doing whatever and I could not be able to react to a 100MPH foul ball off the bat. There have been many line-drive foul balls that I have lost in the sun/lights etc. I'm not locked in on every goddamn pitch like I'm in the batters box when I'm at the game, why should I be? I'm trying to enjoy everything that being at a baseball game has to offer and blaming people for being on their phones is a weak attempt.

Do you think everyone that attends a game is able to react to foul balls? Now add to that, are they able to react to the extremely crazy bounces those foul balls take off seats/hand rails/stairs etc? Not everyone can be a superhuman and react to these things.

Blaming people on their phones is such a lazy attempt, but that is to be expected I think. Besides, those nets still allow plenty of foul balls to reach fans...not even sure what you're talking about. They even lift these nets up when BP is happening so fans can interact with the players still, at least at Mariners games they do - so, what is the issue?

I'll say it again, don't sit there. It has been written on the back of your ticket since the days of............well, I can't remember when they started this, I have always seen it. It probably started when some stuffy person got hit with a foul ball and it disturbed them so then MLB printed it on the back of tickets for the dumb people. Now, we are all paying the price for even dumber people. You just don't sit there, it is that simple. You can find a ton of places a foul ball will never reach at a baseball game. Or a home run. If you like this idea of netting then just wait for the days when someone suggests it is too dangerous to catch foul balls. Don't laugh, you are helping breed that as we speak with this blessing of extra netting.

There are tons of foul balls that enter the stands every game. From either the ground or the air. 30, 40, 50, maybe more depending on the game. All of the sudden that's cut down to what, how many? You pay the money you pay for a ticket but this is the thanks the fans get? Taking us even further out of the ballgame experience?

I will have to see how the netting looks, but by the sounds of it, at least in Toronto, it doesn't look like you will even be able to reach down on the foul lines and grab a foul ball coming your way. How does this give back to the fan? It doesn't. But you'll still pay $12 for a beer and $20 for a hotdog/pop combo. Sorry, the idea is just utter garbage and will only continue to get worse. Stay away from a baseball game if you are too lazy to pay attention to it.

He probably complained when the NHL did the same after the young lady died in Colombus. Some people just cannot stomach change.

You just simply don't sit there then. You can have compassion for Brittany Cecil in 2002 and still think that there should have been more logic to it. She was a kid, 12-13 I think, and not able to absorb a puck like an adult could. Not like an adult can do it well either, but still. It was in a spot above the top portion of the glass where a deflected puck can enter. You have the entire arena to pick from, if you aren't comfortable then you shouldn't sit there, especially if you have young kids that might not pay attention the same.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I'm super excited. I'm embracing the hate. I'm hoping the Astros are extra motivated and dominates the season. I'm just curious to see if any GM avoids them(even with a new GM) when it comes to trade talks or if they will ask for the moon. Also would be interesting to see what the player will say or how they would feel going to Houston.

Besides Houston, I'm excited to see Ohtani pitch again. And all the new Japanese players

Last edited:

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I'm super excited. I'm embracing the hate. I'm hoping the Astros are extra motivated and dominates the season. I'm just curious to see if any GM avoids them(even with a new GM) when it comes to trade talks or if they will ask for the moon. Also would be interesting to see what the player will say or how they would feel going to Houston.

Besides Houston, I'm excited to see Ohtani pitch again. And all the new Japanese players

Hate is easy to embrace when you know respect comes with it. But hated with no respect is something different. That's gonna be hard to endure.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I am excited to see how the Jays young core progresses this year. I am hoping for big steps forward. With the Red Sox getting rid of Mookie it could mean that the Jays could challenge for a wild card.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yes. It is also compounded by the Yankees injuries.

TBH, I still see the Astros coming out of the AL, which bothers the heck out of me.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Hate is easy to embrace when you know respect comes with it. But hated with no respect is something different. That's gonna be hard to endure.

Yeah, I don't see the point of embracing the hate when the Houston org from top to bottom has been exposed as being liars, cheaters, and unremorseful d-bags. Like why would you wear that as a badge of honour?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I realize that without actually being a hardcore fan of a team like Houston that got caught with their pants down being complete slime, it will just sound like hollow words, but if the Jays were going through the same thing or the Canes, I pretty much immediately resign from being a fan of that organization. Can't cheer and support a team in anyway who has no respect for the game, other teams/players, and fans, etc.

Obviously do what you want but it's pretty insane to 'proudly' cheer on a team like that.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Yeah, I don't see the point of embracing the hate when the Houston org from top to bottom has been exposed as being liars, cheaters, and unremorseful d-bags. Like why would you wear that as a badge of honour?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I realize that without actually being a hardcore fan of a team like Houston that got caught with their pants down being complete slime, it will just sound like hollow words, but if the Jays were going through the same thing or the Canes, I pretty much immediately resign from being a fan of that organization. Can't cheer and support a team in anyway who has no respect for the game, other teams/players, and fans, etc.

Obviously do what you want but it's pretty insane to 'proudly' cheer on a team like that.
Would you find a new team to cheer for or just become a fan of the sport? What about prospects that wasn't part of the team at the time? Or doesn't matter as long as they're on that team? Some guy on another board has completely stopped being a fan but said would root for Tucker, Whitley, etc individually. And lastly, how would you feel if the Jays signed someone(batter) from the Astros or made a trade with them? I know you guys have Giles but I won't count him since he's a pitcher. Would cheer for the new player or no? What if it's at a important time of the game? (The Mets were like shame on Houston but Marisnick with us now so we forgive him).

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Would you find a new team to cheer for or just become a fan of the sport? What about prospects that wasn't part of the team at the time? Or doesn't matter as long as they're on that team? Some guy on another board has completely stopped being a fan but said would root for Tucker, Whitley, etc individually. And lastly, how would you feel if the Jays signed someone(batter) from the Astros or made a trade with them? I know you guys have Giles but I won't count him since he's a pitcher. Would cheer for the new player or no? What if it's at a important time of the game? (The Mets were like shame on Houston but Marisnick with us now so we forgive him).

Fan of the sport. f*** the team and everything they do until that regime is gone or they fall on the sword in some way.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California

Nah, you shouldn't change your team just based on this scandal. It doesn't erase.the other past years you supported this franchise.

However, you still haven't really given your thoughts on this whole thing. Are you ashamed? Do you think the title is tainted? Do you buy Altuve's excuse of his wife getting mad about his shirt getting ripped during the walkoff celebration? What did you think of that joke of an apology when they had that press conference? Do you condone their smug attitude? Do you agree with the punishments, or lack thereof?

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Nah, you shouldn't change your team just based on this scandal. It doesn't erase.the other past years you supported this franchise.

However, you still haven't really given your thoughts on this whole thing. Are you ashamed? Do you think the title is tainted? Do you buy Altuve's excuse of his wife getting mad about his shirt getting ripped during the walkoff celebration? What did you think of that joke of an apology when they had that press conference? Do you condone their smug attitude? Do you agree with the punishments, or lack thereof?
I guess I'm not ashamed because I still support the team and the players but yes it does suck and it is disappointing.
Sure the title is tainted but I'll still say they're the 2017 champs(it's the only title I have when it comes to all my favorite sports team :(. Yes it would be nice if they can win another one in the next 3 years or so.)
Altuve's excuse seems suspicious but I won't say it's untrue.
Yeah their apology was bad but I don't care . I thought when the reporters talked to them individually I thought it was a little better. No I didn't agree with the punishment, I thought they would have gotten their international money taken away. Apparently they're the front runners for 1 of the topish free agents. So if they land him, he kind of makes up for no 1st round pick. Maybe should have more picks taken. Like round 3 and 4.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If the Yankees don't, I'd love to see the Astros win it this year.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Not saying to become a fan of another team, just don’t support the team in question until they’ve paid their penance and cleaned up their act.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
The Astros stuff has actually made me more excited than I usually am for baseball. They're the new heels that everyone will be wanting to go after.

I'm also pretty interested to see if the Blue Jays can actually make a decent run with the young and talented core that they have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad