Has there ever been so many Jewish NHL players of this caliber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Ok, that shit is funny.

The Ruben Goldstein shit isn’t, just some stereotyping lowbrow ape humor.

Anyways- half Jewish here, and I remember googling professional Jewish athletes as a teen. It’s.. not a long list, and the unathletic Jew is absolutely a stereotype. So, like- seeing Jews exceed in the NHL is cool. Seeing black players exceed is cool, or Asian players, because those are minority groups in the NHL, and that representation might matter to someone. Had no clue the Hughes were Jewish, that’s dope.

PS- Jew is not actually derogatory, but the fact that you likely think it is kinda speaks to the context we’re all inculcated in.

Sorry to be all serious, glad these guys are having success and are likely inspiring a lot of kids!

Are they unathletic, or just a very small community? A quick google search gives me about 2.5% of the US population being jewish.

For context, african americans make up 14% of the US population, and asian american 7%.

If we assumed that the NHL had a fair representation, and that all players were US born, 32 teams x 20 players x 2.5% = 16 core roster players

OP listed 7 players, 4 of them are studdx one a rookie, one a top 4 D, and one a top 6 player. Seems like theyre being extremely well represented in hockey in terms of quality at least :)

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Has there ever been this many Jewish NHL players of this calibre (sic, including our friends from across the pond) ?

Adam Fox
Zach Hyman
Jack Hughes
Quinn Hughes
Luke Hughes
Jason Zucker
Jakob Chychrun

I don't think I've ever seen so many top NHL players who are also members of the tribe at one time in the NHL.
I could care less what their religion / faith is. has never occurred to me to ponder.

Reactions: Gnome17

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
I think they're half Jewish but consider themselves Jewish. I wouldn't have guessed because their last name isn't Jewish.
My dad is Jewish, mom is not
.According to Jewish law I'm not Jewish so they must have

Same here.
Same here, Jewish dad, non Jewish mom.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think they're half Jewish but consider themselves Jewish. I wouldn't have guessed because their last name isn't Jewish.
Have some of that going on in my family, too. Anyway, nice bit of trivia, and not a bad starting lineup, if Quinn plays forward.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Swayman should be added as the starting netminder, and an excellent player.

Last edited:

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
No, but they need to drink 4 glasses of wine
1711588720293.png

Reactions: Kryten

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Those who are wondering why we have seen an influx of Jewish players are finally realizing why the NHL will move heaven and hell to make Arizona a viable hockey market. The NHL is reaching to demographics you would least expect and we are here to witness it.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Wow, very impressive list actually - I had no idea!

It feels to me like the successes of the NY teams may have had a lot of residual effect that's starting to show up more and more. Probably the Devils successes too. I think in particular the Rangers have been well-represented in pop culture from 80s/90s sitcoms to late-night television and movies where many prominent Jewish actors/personalities wear the Rangers jerseys regularly going back to the 80s and 90s (from memory).

A couple of other important hockey figures would be Sam Rosen and Gary Bettman.

This reminds me of the (mostly alleged) story from when the Rangers were established back in the 1920s: in order to capitalize on the large Jewish population in the city, the idea was floated to promote goalie Lorne Chabot as "Chabotsky", implying he was Jewish (he was not).

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
In Illinois, there are a good number of Jewish players in the high schools. The schools with good teams tend to be in the north suburbs where their families moved to from Chicago 3 generations ago

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

Same here.

Same here, Jewish dad, non Jewish mom.
No, this is a myth. Only some very strict Orthodox Jewish sects believe in this rule.

Your religion is for you to decide. Judaism being your ethnicity depends on how you were raised. The Jewish culture (the non religious stuff) is what makes up the ethnicity because for a the majority of history, they didn’t have a country of their own. Do not get into politics, please.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight and Profet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad