Has the internet's accessibility ruined the gaming experience?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I agree with the premise. Learning all about the meta for each game really sucks some fun out of them for me, unfortunately I can't help myself and avoid Reddit and game forums (or even HF in relation to hockey, definitely feeling some of the same things about hockey now).

I'm addicted to the metagame and I wish I could stop.

i don't know if any of you play destiny, but when the sleeper simulant quest came out, there were some (actually pretty neat) puzzles to solve in order to complete the quest. All of my friends just wanted to look up the answers, but there's no fun in that. I understand why they wouldn't want to solve it themselves either, why put the effort in when the answer is a subreddit away? I suppose now that I'm getting older, saving time like this will be important, but it sucks some fun out in my opinion.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
At the same time, it gives game developers an incentive to make puzzles or secrets that are actually possible to solve

Back before Internet the number 1 selling books in Japan were Nintendo power and a handful of video game guides because kids needed the guide in that one spot that game designers made to get you to buy it

I generally don't use guides other than to get unstuck at a really difficult area (see what I mentioned earlier, the hidden bonfire in sens fortress). The one exception being I used a full guide to finally 100% majoras mask and OoT a summer or two ago

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
At the same time, it gives game developers an incentive to make puzzles or secrets that are actually possible to solve

Back before Internet the number 1 selling books in Japan were Nintendo power and a handful of video game guides because kids needed the guide in that one spot that game designers made to get you to buy it

I generally don't use guides other than to get unstuck at a really difficult area (see what I mentioned earlier, the hidden bonfire in sens fortress). The one exception being I used a full guide to finally 100% majoras mask and OoT a summer or two ago

I don't think that's really fair, some of that was just flaws with early game design and got fixed up well before the internet guides in question. For example on the SNES you have been challenged at times but you didn't need a guide to get through Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, or Final Fantasy III/VI. Of course they'd be available to show all secrets, but unless you were like 8 or something you didn't really need them.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That's sort of my point though.

There is nothing stopping you from just not using a guide. I was able to get the Pacifist Ending in Undertale guideless, which isn't crazy hard but does have a few puzzles to figure out.

As for fighting games, the idea of special moves being secret stopped being a thing quickly. Lots of fighters include options in the menus or tutorials explaining how to do moves.

Also for multiplayer games, if you suddenly took all meta strategies off the web it wouldn't make things better. The gamers that pour hours into their games will still rule the roost, and still ruin the game for anyone that is even partially casual.

Also I think you could make arguments for so many things changing the way games work. Games were harder, and the sense of accomplishment greater when you couldn't save. So did the battery back up spoil gaming because you could save, and thus save scumming was born?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The key is to keep the hyper competitive people away from casual players. Offer the former ranked epeen stuff and they tend to keep to their own horrible communities. Doesn't stop people from raging in chat in a casual game but it helps.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think that's really fair, some of that was just flaws with early game design and got fixed up well before the internet guides in question. For example on the SNES you have been challenged at times but you didn't need a guide to get through Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, or Final Fantasy III/VI. Of course they'd be available to show all secrets, but unless you were like 8 or something you didn't really need them.

Would definitely need a guide to 100% those games unless you were really dedicated.

You also listed three of the best 2D games ever made, all three near the tops in gameplay, balance, difficulty, graphics, sound, etc. A well designed, well balanced game shouldn't require a guide to simply beat for most.

Edit: Wanted to point out that GameFAQS went online in 95, and teamed up with IGN in 97 (so right when the 64-bit Generation started). Lots of other magazines were rolling at that point as well. Guide information was easy to find by this point.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Would definitely need a guide to 100% those games unless you were really dedicated.

You also listed three of the best 2D games ever made, all three near the tops in gameplay, balance, difficulty, graphics, sound, etc. A well designed, well balanced game shouldn't require a guide to simply beat for most.

Not sure what "100%" has to do with it? That's a relatively new concept due to cheevos. It should be hard to do that regardless of the game, old or new.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Not sure what "100%" has to do with it? That's a relatively new concept due to cheevos. It should be hard to do that regardless of the game, old or new.

Not really new. Getting all the stars in super Mario 64, getting the fierce deity mask in majoras mask,

I think the first metroid had different endings for the samus reveal based on completion though I never played

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Not really new. Getting all the stars in super Mario 64, getting the fierce deity mask in majoras mask,

I think those are similar but not the same. I can have a completionist run in an RPG where I beat all the optional objectives but that wouldn't be a "100%" because I didn't collect all the set armor pieces or something to that effect.

100% pretty well implies it's even beyond optional objectives. Often it even stretches into things you cannot accomplish without replaying the game or things you wouldn't even think to do without an external achievement indicator saying you should do it for the trophy.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I think the first metroid had different endings for the samus reveal based on completion though I never played

Getting all the heart pieces in Zelda. Finding all 92 exits and beating the SPECIAL world in Super Mario World.

Metroid had different endings based on speed (might of inspired some of today's speed runners), but it also had finding all the missles, bombs, energy tanks, and there were some items not needed to finish the game. Don't get me started on RARE games. DKC with the DKC coins, bonus coins, the secret world to unlock the true ending. Banjo games and collecting...well...everything.

Point being while it wasn't called 100% back then, finding all the different collectables was definitely something to do even without achievements. 100% to me as always been finding everything in a game. Thing was I felt like we used to get better rewards for it such as bonus levels, better endings, etc. Seems like some developers are fine just throwing achievements out there.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
Take a fighting game for instance. All one has to do is go online and look at tutorials on how to perform the best combos and when to use the best strategies and what not. The game gets repetitive.

EG.Hammettf2b

Have you ever actually played a fighting game?

You can just as easily look online for tutorials on how to do the best wristshot and use the best hockey strategies and whatnot. But you'll still be you, and McDavid will still be McDavid.

Theoretically you could memorize every line in every popular opening in chess and be the next Magnus Carlsen. It's not gonna happen.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
EG.Hammettf2b

You can just as easily look online for tutorials on how to do the best wristshot and use the best hockey strategies and whatnot. But you'll still be you, and McDavid will still be McDavid.

Theoretically you could memorize every line in every popular opening in chess and be the next Magnus Carlsen. It's not gonna happen.

See post #11 for my response on this. I'm only talking about the information available. Not that said information will instantly make you better. Back in the day, we didn't have instant information when it comes to fighting games. My point is that better strategies are instantly available now. What happens when one finds out the best strategies? They want to use them. Which I'm saying makes for stale/repetitive game play. NOT that the information is going to make you better than everyone else.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's why online gaming isn't for me.

I play games to have fun and do whacky things, other people get in the way far too often.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
See post #11 for my response on this. I'm only talking about the information available. Not that said information will instantly make you better. Back in the day, we didn't have instant information when it comes to fighting games. My point is that better strategies are instantly available now. What happens when one finds out the best strategies? They want to use them. Which I'm saying makes for stale/repetitive game play. NOT that the information is going to make you better than everyone else.

By the way I do understand what you mean by this. Competitive matches can be insanely boring. Like competitive tekken matches a lot of the time is like watching paint dry.

Most of the match is them feeling out the distance. There's a lot of great matches too though

But I think that's kind of just part of some games becoming competitive events. Are you gonna say teams don't all essentially play the same way in hockey and basketball? There's only so much room for creativity when there's certain styles that are the best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad