Has the boycott been effective so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It's tough. I don't wanna spend money on the team, but the roster itself has my support. As in I'm supporting the players, but not the owner. I don't know how effective that will be.

I've gone to one game via free tickets.

Reactions: billpo

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Seven games in how are we feeling about the boycott? Has attendance been bad enough to send a message to Eugene? Should we continue boycotting?
That said, attendance numbers to date are pretty abysmal. We're averaging slightly more than 15,000 per game – and that's tickets distributed, not fans in attendance. That's good for 27th in the league, behind only Carolina, NJ, NYI and Florida for the "top" spot.

I'd expect a minor bump in the near future, unfortunately. Winning has a way of making people forget about their principles, but I'm sticking to my guns. I don't think this team is going in the right direction and won't step foot in CTC as long as Melnyk is still involved. But I do have plans to see them in Montreal and support the players.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
It’s a win/win situation I think. If the team does have success all year I think the boycott will likely die out for awhile but it means that the Sens will have to sign Duchene and Stone or face tons of even more backlash. Especially if they are dealt at the deadline during a potential playoff spot.

If they suck, the attendance numbers will continue to suck.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
We are in playoff spot, so clearly it's working :sarcasm:

edit: oh shit we are not anymore. Boycott intensify!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Maybe it will help EM to get off his arse and work for his money instead of just crying for it

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Attendance would suggest that the boycott/lack of ticket sales is real, not whether or not it has been effective.

(As in, we have some data now that reflects that there is in fact a reduced Ottawa Senators fan engagement in the product - whether or not this is due to active protest against the team, or passive disinterest in the product, is probably going to be impossible to tell without some serious market research funding)

The next 1-3 years of decisions from the organization will determine whether or not the lack of fan support through direct revenue streams (whether it be via boycott or otherwise) was EFFECTIVE. It's way too early to tell at this point.

Reactions: aragorn

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Im a stubborn SOB and pride myself in being a man of my word, as I was very vocal both online and offline over the offseason I haven't gone yet, turned down freebies and don't plan to go until Eugene is out, will likely go to Montreal to take in a game or two this year to get my live hockey fix. It's been nice to save a few bucks and frankly I was more than bored attending the CTC as far as the venue is concerned as really nothing has changed for me as far as fan experience in the last 10 years.

Hope the movement gains further traction and I will continue to do my part!

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I think the comp'd low attendance numbers speak for itself. #MelnykBoycott #EmptyCTC working so far. #MelnykOut in progress.

Boucher's troops are fighting tooth and nails, as unsustainable the results are due to the style which is a result of lack of experienced talent. The team on ice always has my fan support, 240%. Via live TV only until #MelnykOut.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I would guess that with Melnyk's ego, this kind of thing just galvanizes him that much more to spite those fans that are voicing their displeasure.

Still haven't bought Center Ice for the first time in about 10 years and not buying any memorabilia anymore. Free streams have their drawbacks and obviously that's not making any difference, but hey at least it makes me feel better lol.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think even without a boycott, attendance would have been down based on the abysmal season from last year. There might be 9-10K paid attendance, who knows. People are not going for a variety of reasons: Melnyk, money, apathy, no Karlsson. All of that adds up. Not sure how much you can attribute to each of those variables, but they sure add up.

I think the team is heading in the right direction. Perhaps the trading of Karlsson has accelerated the progress of Lajoie. Or maybe it was in the natural selection of events as young guns were coming anyways.

The team is gaining momentum and I think attendance will improve as the season unfolds. Fans can do what they want with their money. We will know how effective the "boycott", or let's just call it embarrassing attendance, if Stone and Duchene cannot be signed based on horrific revenues. That can easily happen.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I was waiting for a thread like this.

I agree with those who said it's too early to tell. The wins and the losses do not tie in to my decision to support the team financially, as I had done for so long. I'm pumped to see them playing as upstart and engaged as they have for the most part, but it's not what is going to get me to go. If they keep playing well, attendance will definitely improve and will improve again once that Christmas rush/holiday season spike kicks in. I admit there are fans who masqueraded their boycott, whether inadvertently or not, but I'm not one. I can only speak for myself.

And even if I was simply raging against one season of awfulness (which I'm not, and it wasn't), four October wins hardly erases it, anyway. We'll see how this young team navigates the grind as the season progresses (and I hope it's well), but there's no tie in. I won't give my money to liars or idiots, and as brash as that is to say, that's how I feel. They've lied; and changed course; and meddled; and lied some more; and were tone deaf and dumb for far too long. I'm fine with people referring to it as a "boycott", but that only implies an end game, IMO. For me, as much as I want Scrooge and D'Oh gone, I agree with those who say the "boycott" can't directly impact these things, so it's a mere point of principle for me and less of a "boycott to impact change". If they want to maintain status quo, unfortunately, so do I. My faith is gone. That's the problem.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I think even without a boycott, attendance would have been down based on the abysmal season from last year. There might be 9-10K paid attendance, who knows. People are not going for a variety of reasons: Melnyk, money, apathy, no Karlsson. All of that adds up. Not sure how much you can attribute to each of those variables, but they sure add up.

I think the team is heading in the right direction. Perhaps the trading of Karlsson has accelerated the progress of Lajoie. Or maybe it was in the natural selection of events as young guns were coming anyways.

The team is gaining momentum and I think attendance will improve as the season unfolds. Fans can do what they want with their money. We will know how effective the "boycott", or let's just call it embarrassing attendance, if Stone and Duchene cannot be signed based on horrific revenues. That can easily happen.

I didn't expect Stone and Duchene to be signed, even if the fans sold out the building.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Attendance, with the giveaways, has been dreadful.

We won't know about it's effectiveness (or lack thereof) for a few years. Maybe sooner if attendance levels stay constant for most of the season.

Once the team cools off, and we all know it's coming, we'll get a better idea about how the market really feels about Euge.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I didn't expect Stone and Duchene to be signed, even if the fans sold out the building.
Most competent organizations have these extensions ironed out prior to the season, remember, the only reason we traded EK was because "he wasn't willing to be part of the solution", if Mark Stone and Duchene are both willing to be part of the rebuild, as we are being told, then why weren't the extensions signed in the off season? More lies as usual.

This team currently has 7 forwards under contract for next season, right inline with Meldick's prediction of 15 new faces by next year.

Reactions: InAbsensia

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Most competent organizations have these extensions ironed out prior to the season, remember, the only reason we traded EK was because "he wasn't willing to be part of the solution", if Mark Stone and Duchene are both willing to be part of the rebuild, as we are being told, then why weren't the extensions signed in the off season? More lies as usual.

This team currently has 7 forwards under contract for next season, right inline with Meldick's prediction of 15 new faces by next year.

Which Franchises would you put forward as am example, of a "competent" organization?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
There’s no marketable star on the team. The kind of player people pay to see because he brings you out of your seat with his unreal skill. When you trade that player away attendance is gonna go down.

Reactions: billpo

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
But we can interpret this both ways, can't we? If Stone and Duchene aren't re-signed, one side can argue that it's because the attendance dropped, and so Melnyk wasn't able to afford to sign those two guys. Alternatively, one could argue that it's a sign that the boycott wasn't effective enough in persuading Melnyk to spend, keep the stars and have a competitive team.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I'm personally not really boycotting as im also a little dubious about how how much it will impact change. Also i dont want to boycott as i want to have some nights out with friends and family going to games. I will start Melnyk Out chants when i go though.

Looking at the attendance numbers so far, they are down, but not massively as if there were a mass boycott. I am however voting with my wallet as it seems are many others. Melnyks words have had an effect on my desire to support the team. He is the main one who has impacted change in my ticket buying behavior. Not the fact that the team is losing.

It would be very easy for me to imagine a good owner setting a tone of competence, saying i know its hard but we need to rebuild. We have to face the reality that we are a small market so we need to focus on small market strategies. Not to say we wont spend when the time is right, but at this time we have to make difficult decisions and we will be back. For now enjoy the kids growing and know we have a plan.

But Melnyk is not competent. His messaging is affecting ticket sales. Dont need to boycott, the message is well known

Reactions: Pyro and billpo

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I haven’t gone to a game for a couple of years but really looking forward to tomorrow night. I’m not overtly supporting Melnyk but the team is FINALLY playing entertaining hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad