Speculation: Has the Boychuk deal destroyed Bruins and Chiarelli?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm happy for Boychuk but this deal will set back the Isles whom I also do sympathize with. Well, one more bad contract on a conference rival.. good for Boston I guess.

How so?
Lubo's $6m is off the books this summer. The last yr of Yashin's $2.2m buyout is off the books this summer. Next summer is the last yr of Grabner's deal( the only really bad contract)
Days before the recent TDL, Newsday reported the isles had trade offers for Pulock/Reinhart/MDC/Ho-Sang but had no interest in trading them. Most of the nyi core is 21-26 yrs old. Boychuk and 28 yr old Halak are the old men in the core group, with some nice talent still in the pipeline.

Only the first few yrs of Boychuk's deal has a nmc. The last few yrs has a partial nmc. With the lack of quality D in the nhl, there will be a market to move Boychuk and hopefully kids like Pulock/Reinhart move into more prominent roles.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
Owners are just getting stupid again with these contracts and it spirals across the league unfortunately when this becomes the benchmark......

I don't care how much you love him, paying Boychuk 6 million to play hockey at age 36-38 is not a good contract.... it's not like he took some sweetheart deal with the AAV.....

The fact someone else would have paid it does not make it a good contract..... it means there's a lot of stupidity going on right now.....

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Reminds me of the Chara deal. Boychuk has some miles on him just like Chara.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Our return for Boychuk was very much less than it should have been but we weren't going to be keeping him and after the contract he just signed we were guaranteed to not be able to bring him back past this season. The way to look at it now is that we essentially traded Boychuk for Connolly. Again not a great deal but that's pretty much what it breaks down to

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
Our return for Boychuk was very much less than it should have been but we weren't going to be keeping him and after the contract he just signed we were guaranteed to not be able to bring him back past this season. The way to look at it now is that we essentially traded Boychuk for Connolly. Again not a great deal but that's pretty much what it breaks down to

This might end up a great deal, give it time...

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

every GM knew Chia had to move him, hard to demand a ton, was actually surprised at the return to be honest

wondering out loud if JB had never played here, was a UFA this summer if fans would still feel 6 million is money well spent?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

A year of Boychuk for 3(?) years and a playoff run at RFA prices of Connolly. And as a bonus, the team gets to move up a few spots in a deep 2015 draft from their pick to the Philly pick.

Thats a good deal if Connolly can be the middle six winger with size, speed and a shot he should be.

If you think this year is the Bruins last chance with this core, its a bad deal.

Its a good deal.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
every GM knew Chia had to move him, hard to demand a ton, was actually surprised at the return to be honest

wondering out loud if JB had never played here, was a UFA this summer if fans would still feel 6 million is money well spent?

Nope, and especially not at that term.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Seidenberg and Chara were better than Boychuk in 2011 and both had to be paid far before it would become clear that JB in his prime was a better option than either.

D is still better than it was in 2010 when Seids was out. 2011 and 2013 we were spoiled I guess.

The deals look good for Chiarelli if either second rounder turns into a good player and if Connolly is good.

This is a good deal for the Isles they have cap space and get a star in their prime.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Good deal for the NYI. Johnny B has been a very important piece for them this year. The Isles have put together a pretty good defensive corps and should be competitive for years to come. The term may seem a bit long, but if Johnny holds up it won't be that big of an issue. Isles fans seem to be quite happy with the signing.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I'm happy for JB but thats to much money and to much term. To answer the OP's question, no, not at all, if he had signed JB for that money and term then he would have, I like JB but he's not that guy IMO.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
big difference in giving a 6 year deal to a 31 year old vs. 7 year deal to a 35 year old

no one has a crystal ball, but if we weren't in cap hell, this deal to JB would not have been as bad as Chara's deal will turn out to be, most likely.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
big difference in giving a 6 year deal to a 31 year old vs. 7 year deal to a 35 year old

no one has a crystal ball, but if we weren't in cap hell, this deal to JB would not have been as bad as Chara's deal will turn out to be, most likely.

well your probably right that it won't be as bad as Chara's deal but that doesn't make it a good deal.

JB is just not worth that money IMO. He likely will start declining well before it's done.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I'm happy for JB but thats to much money and to much term. To answer the OP's question, no, not at all, if he had signed JB for that money and term then he would have, I like JB but he's not that guy IMO.

Way to much money and way to much term good for JB. Good job PC there is no way the Bruins could afford this or should they for Boychuck

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Owners are just getting stupid again with these contracts and it spirals across the league unfortunately when this becomes the benchmark......

I don't care how much you love him, paying Boychuk 6 million to play hockey at age 36-38 is not a good contract.... it's not like he took some sweetheart deal with the AAV.....

The fact someone else would have paid it does not make it a good contract..... it means there's a lot of stupidity going on right now.....

Or that the Isles don't have cap issues and get a two-for-one by locking up a great d-man and also making it harder for other teams to sign one.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Or that the Isles don't have cap issues and get a two-for-one by locking up a great d-man and also making it harder for other teams to sign one.

Johnny is a good d-man, he`s not in the category of great by any stretch IMO

I`m happy for him and grateful to have had him on the team that brought the Cup back to where it belongs but.....even if this team had the cap space...yikes that`s alot of moola

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Chia still mismanaged the cap, right? If you traded Chara for Boychuk, would you think that was a good swap? Chara is slowing down and he gets a hefty contract, too, doesn't he?

Also, even if Sequin was a problem child, are you guys satisfied with Eriksson?

It seems that even if Chia is unloading guys for cap issues and character problems, he did not do a good job on the return. Or rather, he didn't maximize the return potential?

That must account for something (i.e. the brunt of the criticism)? Or am I just suggesting the obvious? Sorry, if I am - I'm just curious what the consensus is from you guys regarding the most recent trades especially Boychuk.

For e.g., if you don't factor the Isles' contract he got, it's still bad management of the cap - he didn't foresee a long contract for him from another team, did he?

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Chia still mismanaged the cap, right? If you traded Chara for Boychuk, would you think that was a good swap? Chara is slowing down and he gets a hefty contract, too, doesn't he?

Also, even if Sequin was a problem child, are you guys satisfied with Eriksson?

It seems that even if Chia is unloading guys for cap issues and character problems, he did not do a good job on the return. Or rather, he didn't maximize the return potential?

That must account for something (i.e. the brunt of the criticism)? Or am I just suggesting the obvious? Sorry, if I am - I'm just curious what the consensus is from you guys regarding the most recent trades especially Boychuk.

For e.g., if you don't factor the Isles' contract he got, it's still bad management of the cap - he didn't foresee a long contract for him from another team, did he?

You will find literally dozens of people here who knew Johnny was going to get paid and that we weren't going to be able to afford him... at least not without sacrificing a couple of Dougie/Krug/Smith/Soda/among others when their contracts are up this offseason. And if WE knew, i think Chia had an idea too. He has the Harvard pedigree after all right??

AlpineLager

The way she *** goes
Jul 4, 2007
New Brunswick
Johnny is a good d-man, he`s not in the category of great by any stretch IMO

I`m happy for him and grateful to have had him on the team that brought the Cup back to where it belongs but.....even if this team had the cap space...yikes that`s alot of moola

Yes, this. He is a decent defender and a locker room guy. Massive overpayment.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
You will find literally dozens of people here who knew Johnny was going to get paid and that we weren't going to be able to afford him... at least not without sacrificing a couple of Dougie/Krug/Smith/Soda/among others when their contracts are up this offseason. And if WE knew, i think Chia had an idea too. He has the Harvard pedigree after all right??

Smart guy but it's too bad he failed Seguinomics.

As far as the Boychuk trade goes, I was never that torn up as it was clear the Bruins would not be able to resign him and this way they got some draft picks to replenish after trading quite a few over the years and I had my doubts that they could be a contender this year, they would have had to start the year with 20 or 21 players had they kept him.

Lucic and Chong

Mar 11, 2010
As I said at the time of the trade, Peter Chiarelli did a damn good job stewarding Johnny Boychuk's career. Dealt him to an up and coming team where his skillset would be highly valued, and where he could earn the biggest paycheck of his life, without even having to test the FA market. Chiarelli put Boychuk in a great position to succeed.

Good on Boychuk for making it all happen with hard work, and I wish him all the best except against the Bruins.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
Smart guy but it's too bad he failed Seguinomics.

As far as the Boychuk trade goes, I was never that torn up as it was clear the Bruins would not be able to resign him and this way they got some draft picks to replenish after trading quite a few over the years and I had my doubts that they could be a contender this year, they would have had to start the year with 20 or 21 players had they kept him.

I agree, we knew we couldn't resign the guy, so they traded him for assets they were hoping to use later at the deadline when they would have a better idea of what they need. The downside to that idea is that it's selling when prices are low and buying when prices are high, but in essence we traded this year of Boychuk for Brett Connolly, an upgrade on our 2nd rounder, and a swap of second rounders for next year. I lot of people will huff and puff about the boychuk trade regardless, but I think PC did a very astute job in asset management here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad