Has Sidney Crosby Won His Last Art Ross?

Sidney Crosby will never win another Art Ross?

• Yes

Votes: 139 94.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Yes, McDavid/Drai and a few others in their primes combined with his age and health will make it very difficult

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You could have asked this in 2017 and the answers would have been a resounding yes.

Like do people even think Crosby is a serious Art Ross contender anymore? He's not hitting 125 points and you probably need 125 points to beat prime McDavid in the scoring race. I honestly can't even realistically see him hitting 110 points in a season anymore, and that would only have gotten him in 5th last year.

Considering the higher scoring era today, I'd bet the best Crosby could do at this point is 40 goals and 105 points. That would have had him at 8th last year.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Crosby won the Art Ross twice he won't win it again, somewhat underwhelming result considering the talent. McDavid has already doubled that and will triple it in the not too distant future.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I would never fully count out Sid, but the main issue right now is he seems to have a nagging injury every season that forces him to miss 10-15 games. His pace has still been really good, I think he would have been around 10th or so had he played all 82 last year.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Only player to win a conn smythe over 33 yrs old is MSL at 37 yrs old. The art Ross has been around for 75 years. This is a young man’s trophy. The next oldest to win it is a 33 yr old Gretzky. Crosby has zero shot at another art ross

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Too many players would need to have off seasons/injuries while he has a a hot season like this one so far.

Only player to win a conn smythe over 33 yrs old is MSL at 37 yrs old. The art Ross has been around for 75 years. This is a young man’s trophy. The next oldest to win it is a 33 yr old Gretzky. Crosby has zero shot at another art ross
Gordie Howe in 1962-63 but Crosby is not Gordie Howe.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Too many players would need to have off seasons/injuries while he has a a hot season like this one so far.

Gordie Howe in 1962-63 but Crosby is not Gordie Howe.
Howe was 34 when he won it, crosby is 35. Howe wasn’t as old as corsby is today when he won

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Crosby won the Art Ross twice he won't win it again, somewhat underwhelming result considering the talent. McDavid has already doubled that and will triple it in the not too distant future.
Injuries are entirely to blame for that. I can't think of many players in NHL history whose trophy case has suffered as much from injuries as Crosby's, outside of maybe Lemieux and Orr. I mean, he's suffered major injuries while leading the scoring race on three separate occasions.

Last edited:

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Obvious answer, there is too many elite players right now not to happen unless all of them gets injured during a season.. wont happen and with the new kids.. coming over on top forget it.

Macdavid Draisaitl Robertson Kucherov Hughes Pastrnak Bedard Fantili Mitchkov Just to name a few. Way too much younger talent out there.. Crosby isnt top shape anymore he is amazing but not Lemieux amazing which could simply generate points out of nowhere without physicality due to is out of this world hockey sense. Crosby dont have that level of IQ his physical part of the game is too important in Sid success.

Sid made his mark in an era of low scoring hockey so respect for that. He should focus on pts points on the board at this point continue his legacy but wont challenge for it. Maybe be close to top a few moments during a season maybe at most.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Hopefully he can make a run at it and finish top 5 in the end. Guy has achieved practically everything that can be achieved in the sport and is still not done. Insane player.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Not a this stage of his career. As great as Crosby is, he just can’t keep up with McDavid offensively

However, winning another Hart trophy could be a possibility. In order to happen, the Oilers have to miss the playoffs first so it disqualifies McDavid for the award. Then Crosby has to maintain his current pace, remain league leader in EVP, finish the season top 5 points leader (110-ish pts) and of course make the playoffs.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I would never fully count out Sid, but the main issue right now is he seems to have a nagging injury every season that forces him to miss 10-15 games. His pace has still been really good, I think he would have been around 10th or so had he played all 82 last year.
That's only true for 2 out of the last 9 years.....the other 7 years his missed, on average, less than 3 games a year.

The answer to the question is pretty easily "yes" though. Pretty tough to expect 35+ year old Crosby to compete in a scoring race against a prime McDavid and a few others. He's holding his own very respectively....think he's 5th right now, but unless there are injuries, I just don't see it as possible.

St. Louis did it, but it was a short year and if Crosby didn't get hurt, all indications were that he would have won it in a landslide (like 25% ahead). That's the type of thing that would have to happen I think. That year, Kane wasn't quite there yet in his career, Malkin missed half the year, Ovechkin was scoring goals, but not really a scoring champ threat......you just didn't have the top guys quite in their prime the same way you do now, so it's extremely unlikely unless there are injuries.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He hasn't been all that close since 2015, when he probably would have won it if not for that virus, so it is a weird question. He's just under 40% behind McDavid, so he would absolutely need an injury there, plus he would need to play the whole season. Would need some luck to end up ahead of Kucherov and Draisaitl, but I could see most of the other top scorers dropping off as the season goes on. All that to say.... very, very small chance.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I've seen him as more of a wild card than a competitor since 2019 when Kucherov and McDavid upped the ante numbers wise. I think it's possible if they both get injured but that's more of a luck thing

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
There's about 5 guys who are capable of competing with McDavid over the course of a full season if he's not playing his best.

McDavid in peak form is a guarantee to win the Art Ross.

Reactions: PuckG

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
McDavid has been the highest scoring Canadian 6 years in a row.

The only player to do lead all Canadians in scoring more times than 6 in Wayne Gretzky.

Crosby, at age 35, will not be the one to end the trend. A top 5 finish at this stage of his career would be fantastic, but a top 1 (or even top 3) is not remotely realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad