Has Ryan Strome finally arrived?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Strome for Eberle. Let’s do return the chosen one to the island.

In all seriousness it’s good too see.

Yeah Eberle clogging up more of our cap space is exactly what we need. However, you certainly could have him for a 1st round pick.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
The Stromes always seem to take a while.

Might be waiting a long time for Matthew, though. A long long time

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
People saying it's all breadman need to consider that not everyone has the ability to produce even with elite players and if you can have a guy go near PPG and have chemistry with Panarin for 3M that's extremely valuable.

Oilers would be dying to have a guy fill a spot on McDavid's line going near PPG. It's not like they have anyone doing anything close to that right now, and that is with Draisaitl/McDavid. It's not something that can be dismissed. Clearly Strome has some talent.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Oiler fans.. ya hate to see it. Lol

Haha - lots of us really liked him last year. Wasn't putting up numbers but solid defensively and generally looking good doing it. I'm shocked he's been THIS successful but I'm not shocked at his success. He was always a good player. Crappy we traded him for a bag of pucks but that's Chiarelli for you. He traded two low picks in the deepest draft ever for an unproven defenseman that had barely touched the NHL. He traded every successful winger we had for various parts and left gapping holes in the lineup. His approach to managing the team was akin to cutting a hole in the roof to patch a hole in the window

Reactions: Bgav

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Doesn't he play with panarin? Still impressive though. He played like maybe 8 min with McDavid.

Scouts told ChiaTURD not go trade for Spooner. He gave them attitude and said he drafted spooner and knows him.

I'd love to punch CHiarelli in the face

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Doesn't he play with panarin? Still impressive though. He played like maybe 8 min with McDavid.

Scouts told ChiaTURD not go trade for Spooner. He gave them attitude and said he drafted spooner and knows him.

I'd love to punch CHiarelli in the face

Nobody will ever be as bad at trades as Chiarelli. Absolutely generational.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
While Strome is obviously benefiting from Panarin playing at an incredible level, Strome still needs to have pretty high hockey sense to really thrive with a player like that.

Burrows is always an example for me, where everyone thinks he just rode the coattails of the Sedins but it wasn’t until he was put in their line they became the best version of players we’ve ever seen. He complimented them and their games well, and I think that’s what is happening with Strome and Panarin.

They are just feeding off each other and play similar games. They’re cycle game is really good and they are both making nice passing plays. People always think in situations like this, Strome is doing as minimal as he can and just benefitting from an all star on his line.

Will Strome make this last for more than one year? Hard to say, but they look like dynamite this season.

Reactions: yada

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
While ive been enjoying a lot of what strome has produced one thing he also excels at is taking terrible penalties. Quinn has probably benched him for more shifts due to stupid plays then any other player.

Last night he was benched for majority of the first period after being on the ice for the sh goal the rangers gave up.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Chiarelli made trades like it was 1999: "We need a BIG guy who can stand in front of the net and do nothing!"

I suspect part of Strome's challenge in getting enough consistent ice-time in the NHL has been his size. All coaches are wary of little guys, even though the game is played on the ice, not in the air.

As an Oilers' fan, I was delighted with the Eberle-for-Strome deal, and I liked Strome's game in Edmonton. He was hard-working, was zippy, and had good hockey IQ. It didn't work out well for him, production-wise, but that's what happens when you're constantly bounced around from the second to third to fourth lines, with a revolving door of line-mates on a team with disastrous coaching/management.

Anyway, I like Strome and I'm glad to see him doing well in New York. He's finally getting the minutes he deserves. Keep in mind the guy scored 50 points five years ago for the Islanders while getting only 15-minutes' ice-time per night (he was equally productive as John Tavares that season at even-strength). He good.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I was excited when the Oilers grabbed Strome because I’ve seen him play and I saw skill there and he was just a prospect really and hadn’t really yet shown what he was capable of — there was still upside.

then the Oilers never really gave him the chance he needed and cut the cord wayyyy too early.

I think there is something in the water in edmonton.. hopefully it was just a bad GM and we have moved on.

Reactions: yada

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Don't know what to make of Strome. He looks better than he ever has, but also Panarin is finishing every pass Strome makes. Will be an interesting contract negotiation.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Yes, playing with Pana helps, but he also puts up points on plays Panarin isn't involved in. For example, the last goal of the game last night. It deflected off of Panarin, so he got an assist, but that was back in the D-zone. Strome is the one who took it all the way up the ice and set up Elite Sniper Jesper Fast for the goal.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Strome has always had talent. Even if Panarin is a big contributor to his success, sometimes a player just need to be in the right situation to finally take that last step and excel. I have watched him a lot in the past, but admit I haven't watched NYR much this year. We will see

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Stromes a solid player but those numbers are indeed a total mirage. It really is all Panarin.

Panarin is the guy carrying the puck into the zone every time and making all the plays, not much exaggeration. He’s almost automatic to enter the zone and once he enters, he’s gonna find someone’s stick and that line is gonna set up shop in the offensive zone.

Panarin is one of the most Impactful players at Even Strength so he really does have the talent to carry Ryan Strome and Jesper Fast like he has this year

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'd say yes given his stats, which are impressive, but then again the Islanders probably thought the same thing 5 years ago

AVsTimeOut

Jan 31, 2012
AV's Gum Retailer.
Would say it's because of Panarin, but he was one of our best forwards last year once we acquired him.
Really, he's just picking up where he left off.. Now just with Panarin.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Strome certainly is benefitting from the situation with Panarin, but he has played away from him plenty and is producing in his own, not just a product of Bread.

Also, there's been so many cases of putting a player with an elite player in hopes to get them going, but to no effect. No one ever talks about the times it fails, but it happens way more often than not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad