Speculation: Has Ron Hainsey’s NHLPA lockout ‘bad cop’ role blackballed him in free agency?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
That statement formed the basis for my suggestion of replacing Mark Stuart with Ron Hainsey for an instant upgrade; with a bonus draft pick thrown in to sweeten the occasion.

It would be win win for the Jets if they could swing it.

I don't see it happening though.

I suspect Chevy is leaving room for the likes of Trouba, Posty and Red kick down the door.

Hopefully someone can.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I am not certain what all of you guys think of this possible scenario; and likely Chevy has entertained it as well.

What if the Jets were to trade Mark Stuart for a decent draft pick or prospect, and utilize Mark's $1.7 million cap hit toward re-signing Ron Hainsey.

The player move, based on the not necessarily real world based assumption that another team would pay that price for Mark Stuart, would accomplish several things.

* The cap space is then opened up to re-sign Number 6
* Ron Hainsey, in my view, is the far superior talent and player
* Ron Hainsey has proven to handle more and tougher minutes
* It takes the pressure of being #4 defenseman off Grant Clitsome
* It also creates space for Grant Clitsome to share the load of #4 role
* It provides a familiar partner for Zach Bogosian until Trouba Time
* Ron Hainsey is better on the penalty kill than Mark Stuart
* The move also adds a pick or prospect, as an added asset

Is this scenario crazy, or does it make at least a modicum of sense?

I would LOVE this.

I really liked Hainsey on the team. I like him as a #4 guy. There are 3 reasons people don't like him: His lockout work, is previous contract, and the fact that he was thrust into top 2 roles too much due to injury.

I don't think any of that is germaine to having him back here on a reasonable contract/ term. He is a HELL of an upgrade over anyone not named Enstrom, Bogosian or Byfuglien. The jury is out on Trouba, because he has not played an NHL game yet.

BizZombie

Jul 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It would be win win for the Jets if they could swing it.

I don't see it happening though.

I suspect Chevy is leaving room for the likes of Trouba, Posty and Red kick down the door.

Hopefully someone can.

Leaving the door open for Jacob Trouba, Paul Postma, and Zach Redmond is a good idea, that could pay real dividends as they improve and claim additional ice time and responsibilities. I definitely support that way of thinking.

The problem is that in the meantime, it still leaves Mark Stuart on the team, in place of Ron Hainsey. That is the short term tradeoff. While Stuart does play third pairing, the left side would be stronger with Enstrom-Hainsey-Clitsome than with Enstrom-Clitsome-Stuart.

Here's hoping that one of the younger players makes Mark Stuart the very definition of redundancy, and he gets moved for a draft pick to open his roster spot.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Then what does that make Stuart?

I dont think any "great hockey mind" who has watched more than few games could say Stuart is better than Hainsey.

I never said nor did I ever imply that Stuart was a better option.

Hainsey is a 5/6 on any respectable playoff team. He is no where near a #4.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
I would LOVE this.

I really liked Hainsey on the team. I like him as a #4 guy. There are 3 reasons people don't like him: His lockout work, is previous contract, and the fact that he was thrust into top 2 roles too much due to injury.

I don't think any of that is germaine to having him back here on a reasonable contract/ term. He is a HELL of an upgrade over anyone not named Enstrom, Bogosian or Byfuglien. The jury is out on Trouba, because he has not played an NHL game yet.

Very interesting thought. I would support this as well as long as we don't give Hainsey any more than 2.5....

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Very interesting thought. I would support this as well as long as we don't give Hainsey any more than 2.5....

I was thinking something along these lines. Going by the initial premise of trading Stuart for a pick/prospect to free up $ 1.7 m to add to the $2.3 of current space to sign Hainsey doesn't quite sit well. If we were sitting on $4 M cap space I can think of a few other players still out there that I would pursue before Hainsey.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I get what you're saying but you come across as a little bitter because he doesn't want to stay in Winnipeg. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

I'm pretty sure if the Jets offered him a couple of years at around 3mil per he would have taken it. But the Jets had better depth at D and needed to make room for younger players. I never got the feeling that Ron didn't like playing here from his tone in the interviews.

For all the Hainsey hate I can tell you if one of those "post shots" ever went in for him the arena would have exploded (a little extra)!

I loved all the shots he blocked but hated when he got burned going down early and playing second goalie. These usually resulted in passes through his legs for back door tap ins.

Hainsey will be missed by some... hopefully our other players will make us forget about him. And the haters can cheer that he is gone.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I would LOVE this.

Can't disagree with anything said in this post. Swapping Stuart for Hains is definitely a nice upgrade.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
The problem with saying someone is a __ spot on a quality playoff team (ignoring the fact that EVERY team in the league doesn't have picture perfect depth), you are essentially saying they aren't elite for that spot.

Playoff team is top 50% of league.
Above average playoff team is top 25% of the league.

Saying someone isn't top 25% of their respective placement doesn't demote them as a lesser player. That would need to be at least the lower 25% of their respective placement, where you can debate that they are a tweener.

Results-wise Hainsey is essentially a very average #4. The results don't change regardless on how much I know or don't know about hockey.
SDI is looking at how much a player reduces goals and scoring chances relative to what you would expect for their usage. In this stat when looking at 6 year period or 2 or 1. Hainsey revolves around in the 3rd best block when dividing it into 6 chunks (ie: defensively he's performed as a #3).
Points-wise he's performed around a #5.

Someone may be wiser at hockey then I but when a guy for last 6 and last 2 and last season performs as a #4, I'm inclined to consider him a #4.

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Awful assumption

I could do without both

How does that sound?

Like you have no idea what you are talking about tbh.

You mentioned that you knew hockey minds that agreed with your pov. May I ask who? I have never once heard anybody say that Ron Hainsey was bad at his job. Overpaid, yes...but you are seriously implying that you would sooner have Clitsome in that 4 spot when Hainsey is the clear upgrade.

He's not offensive dynamo or a physical threat, but that doesnt make him a bad defenseman.

Even great hockey minds can be wrong, but the numbers never lie and that's not really putting a spin on it either.

james10011

Aug 1, 2013
Folks, all I'm saying is that he is void of the type of character that is needed to win.

He's big and yet, refuses to use his size. He let his partner Bogo, and his recent surgically repaired wrist at that time, fight on several occasions while Hainsey looked up at the clock avoiding confrontation once again. What a great teammate, eh? Can't measure that in Corsi but this is the type of jam that determines a winner.

Combine that with his aloof attitude that comes across clearly when interviewed and voila, a bad reputation is earned. Did he EVER put any effort into our community, even a 50th of what Bogo has done? Did he ever correct a reporter who was trying to lead him to say something negative about Winnipeg? You know the answer and it rymes with "Doh."

Duke, I don't know you from Adam, just noticed your secondary moniker. Don't sweat it.

We have kept the good character players this summer and ditched the bums. Addition by subtraction. Peace...

Ron Hainsey was paid to play hockey, that does not include:
-Fighting
-Conducting entertaining interviews
-Supporting the community
-Defending the reputation of Winnipeg

Let's judge him based on things that actually matter. Also, if not defending Winnipeg is an indictment of character I am officially the worlds largest *******.

james10011

Aug 1, 2013
Because Hainsey is ****
Most of you won't like reading it but too bad
I know hockey minds greater then anyone here that say the same thing.

Spin what ever you want what ever way you want. Still doesn't change that

Well I just so happen to know EVEN GREATER hockey minds. And then if you know greater hockey minds than that amount of "even"'s then I meant EVEN EVEN GREATER hockey minds. Isn't this game fun?

BizZombie

Jul 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Well I just so happen to know EVEN GREATER hockey minds. And then if you know greater hockey minds than that amount of "even"'s then I meant EVEN EVEN GREATER hockey minds. Isn't this game fun?

I know an even greater, greater hockey mind that can out think your even greater hockey mind person. So there. Hmmph.

This is better than a school yard "debate" of the pugilistic prowess of big brothers, dads, and other Cronin the Barbarian clones.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
His lack of talent did that

Baseless statement nothing more. You make a broad accusation with absolutely nothing to back it up. You don't like Hainsey, thats cool, no problem...however if your going to make a statement like the guy had no talent...despite the fact that he was statistically effective at the job he was given, not to mention moving up and down the lineup...

then you had better bring some evidence to back that up.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Why not?

Hainsey > Stu

Adding a draft pick > Not adding a draft pick

In what world is improving the team a bad thing?

Stuart could leave the Jets lineup and no one would even notice. 5/6 D are a dime a hundred dozen.

Stuart can not play top four minutes. His effectiveness drops way off after 20 minutes.

If any of the top three D get injured the Jets will have problems.
Last year they had Clitsome to fill into the top four spot and until very late in the season people were naming him Clitlless for a reason. Suddenly he has become a top 4 D man in people's eyes and the team doesn't even have another player that can easily move into #4 with a injury.

Anyone saying Hainsey not re-signing is a good thing is delusional.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Stuart could leave the Jets lineup and no one would even notice. 5/6 D are a dime a hundred dozen.

Stuart can not play top four minutes. His effectiveness drops way off after 20 minutes.

If any of the top three D get injured the Jets will have problems.
Last year they had Clitsome to fill into the top four spot and until very late in the season people were naming him Clitlless for a reason. Suddenly he has become a top 4 D man in people's eyes and the team doesn't even have another player that can easily move into #4 with a injury.

Anyone saying Hainsey not re-signing is a good thing is delusional.

The only way that this would have been a good thing is the acquired an upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad