Has PK Subban’s skating declined?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
He's slower but he's also stronger, and his edgework is freaking ridiculous.
And he's still way more faster than Weber.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
How do all of these Habs fans know this information that PK bulked up during the summer?. Do you guys still follow him?

I'm not sure why you're surprised that a lot of Habs fans kept up with Subban even after the trade. He was a very loved player in Montreal.

To answer your question though, he bulked up a lot while he was on the Habs. He was visibly slower during his lasts 2 seasons with us, especially the last one, and he was again slower with Nashville in his first year. Haven't watched too many Nashville games this season, so I don't know if he's been the same.

That said, it seems he's not missing his explosiveness and prefers relying on his strength instead, so maybe it was a good decision for his career.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Many of us still follow P.K. more than our own team

Have close family who are big Habs fan and have to agree on this. They were cheering HARD for Nashville last year.

Like it or not PK will go down as this generations Montreal Canadiens lefend

Reactions: Jtown

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Have close family who are big Habs fan and have to agree on this. They were cheering HARD for Nashville last year.

Like it or not PK will go down as this generations Montreal Canadiens lefend
Yeah, I'm praying that when Subban's contract is up and the current regime is done for, maybe we'll get him back.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Players are at their best in terms of skating between 20-24 or so, and usually lose a half step or so in their mid to late 20s. The amount of experience they gain vastly outweighs the slight decline in physical ability, which is why their overall peaks(especially dmen) are still a bit later than their physical peak.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
People think he's fast just because he's a puck moving defenseman...

When he entered the league, he was fast, but since then he decided to bulk up as much as possible, which made him lost his speed.

You hear poster spout that Weber is slow (which is not true), but Subban isn't any faster

Weber is slower than Subban. Don't be a homer.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
His skating dipped a bit in Montreal, as he seemed to focus on strength.

He's not any less of a dman though, just a bit different. I dont think he's gotten any slower since joining the preds.

member 290103

I think it gets progressively harder to skate as the size of your head grows. I suspect he will eventually be unable to stand upright.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
About Subban putting on some muscle, I remember hearing him say recently he's "217 pounds of Canadian beef" or something like that. NHL.com has him at 210 pounds. So yeah, that extra weight definately affects his acceleration, but once he gets going, he's fine. He adjusted his game too.

The multiple injuries he had over a period of 6-7 months and the fact he had a short off-season last summer didn't help either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad