Has Mikael Granlund become the premier offensive player that has eluded Minnesota for so long?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Granlund has been taking steady steps forward for a while now, and at 27, he might just be entering his prime. Stats:6g 6a 12p in 12 games. He started of the year slow but now has a nine game point streak and 12 points in those nine games. It looks like his shot is much more lethal this year, which has been opening up more options for him.

Could Granlund finally be the weapon MN has been missing since gaborik?

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think he can be the best forward on a successful team. His lack of speed and size/strength/reach limit him. He had a nice goal the other night, but his shot is not lethal, and he simply doesn't use it often enough, in any event. It has improved, though.

He is a very smart, courageous player with outstanding puck handling and passing skills. Great at zone entries, and good at running a PP. A Backstrom type player.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's a very nice player but he's not a cornerstone player which I think is what you are implying here.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
He's a driver, but not the guy you want being the primary driver.
Theres probably 45 forwards I'd take to guide my team over him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's a very nice player but he's not a cornerstone player which I think is what you are implying here.
Actually he is a cornerstone type player. He is exactly the type of player you want on your 1st line, #1 PP, or driving a really, really good 2nd line. He has physical limitations, but finds a way to work around them.

Reactions: boyko10

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I don't think he can be the best forward on a successful team. His lack of speed and size/strength/reach limit him. He had a nice goal the other night, but his shot is not lethal, and he simply doesn't use it often enough, in any event. It has improved, though.

He is a very smart, courageous player with outstanding puck handling and passing skills. Great at zone entries, and good at running a PP. A Backstrom type player.
Though Backstrom could be the cornerstone player for a franchise, couldn't he? Otherwise I agree with your assessment.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I could be off-base, but Granlund doesn't seem to be the type of player that can make a scoring chance out of thin air.

However, he's great at capitalizing on scoring chances and instead of making an average play, he can make those high IQ plays that will lead to a high percentage scoring chance.

Kevs Security

May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Actually he is a cornerstone type player. He is exactly the type of player you want on your 1st line, #1 PP, or driving a really, really good 2nd line. He has physical limitations, but finds a way to work around them.
Okay so you replied that while I was typing. But your earlier post stated he couldn't be the best forward on a successful team, which I took as a "not a cornerstone player".

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That's about right, though he has underrated two way attributes that many high end, offensive forwards lack. The guy is amazing at winning board battles. Consistently makes fools of bigger, stronger opponents.

Being the second best forward on a team is pretty good. Sooner or later he is going to be paired with some lucky young sniper and make him a lot of money. His vision and passing is superb.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Okay so you replied that while I was typing. But your earlier post stated he couldn't be the best forward on a successful team, which I took as a "not a cornerstone player".
Semantics?
He's the most untouchable forward on the Wild. For them, that's a cornerstone player(sadly).

He would be 3rd or 4th best forward on the Leafs, 3rd best forward on EDM, 3rd or 4th best forward on PIT, etc., etc..

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
He isn't 'the guy'. He never will be. But he's very talented and would play an amazing 2nd fiddle if the Wild had a guy like Tavares, etc.

Kevs Security

May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Semantics?
He's the most untouchable forward on the Wild. For them, that's a cornerstone player(sadly).

He would be 3rd or 4th best forward on the Leafs, 3rd best forward on EDM, 3rd or 4th best forward on PIT, etc., etc..
That's what I mean. We're on same page on that one. I just don't think player is a cornerstone type per se if you can't build succesfully around him. Of course he can act as that player for the Wild but that doesn't necessary make him one. Bozak was Toronto's first line center for a while but he really doesn't qualify as a #1 center by the usual standards... And I think Backstrom is the type of player who could be the cornerstone for a succesful team.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

I would agree with that. How many of those 45 players would you say a team can build a cup contender around?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Is Zach Parise still playing? Whatever happened to that guy....he was a star in New Jersey, then Minny got him and Suter in a blockbuster signing, and now seven seasons in to his Wild career he has yet to top 62 points. :help:

I thought he'd be a factor, but it doesn't look like it. Off to a good start this year at least.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think that MN held back Granlund in his first few years by having him play C. On the Wild, Koivu is the template for what a C is. Physical, superb two way player, with good FO talent. Granlund tried, but it's no coincidence that his point totals shot up once he moved to the wing.

Yeah, Backstrom is better, but they have some similarities in their game. I wonder how many assists MiG would get feeding 88, though.

Reactions: Kevs Security

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is Zach Parise still playing? Whatever happened to that guy....he was a star in New Jersey, then Minny got him and Suter in a blockbuster signing, and now seven seasons in to his Wild career he has yet to top 62 points. :help:

I thought he'd be a factor, but it doesn't look like it. Off to a good start this year at least.
Back problems for close to two years, maybe more. Finally had a procedure done this summer (fusing discs?) and so far, he looks like the old Parise, albeit an aging one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad