Has Matt Cullen declined at all?

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Since he's been a Penguin he's got 39 points in 90 games 6 SH 1 PP playing less than 14 min a game on the 4th line . I suspect it looks even better if you just take the numbers from Jan on, even Crosby couldn't score with MJ coaching. You kind of expect physical freaks of nature like Jagr or Selanne might age unusual well but how in the world has a guy like Matt Cullen just kept going like this at 39? I know he's had better offense season but I'm guessing he also had more ice time and a more offensive role way back then.

Last edited:

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Nope, he's been awesome so far again this season.

Kuhnhackl-Cullen-Fehr is the best 4th line in the league.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think that's most impressive is that he's at 7 points in 9 games this year, he's one of the top scorers on the Penguins so far.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
He's in the playing against guys who weren't born when he was playing in the NHL category.

Oct 18, 2011
he's had an interesting career.....when he was a ducks prospect he was supposed to be a star offensive player....ended up being a pretty good player who has bounced around and has found a niche in the league. damn sure didn't see him lasting this long

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
he's had an interesting career.....when he was a ducks prospect he was supposed to be a star offensive player....ended up being a pretty good player who has bounced around and has found a niche in the league. damn sure didn't see him lasting this long

Best forward Ducks drafted outside of round 1 wish we could of signed him instead of Boll who makes 100,000 more this year and signed for another season.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
He'll be 40 years old in a few days and is one of the better 5on5 players in the NHL.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Im 35 now. Matt Cullen is a name that reminds of watching Ducks hockey back when I was kid.

To see him still in the NHL is such an easy thing to root for.

The fact that he isnt a declining star... lets say a Howe or Jagr or Selanne... but just an 'average guy' still just bringing a solid effort and contribution year in and year out makes him a standout for a great hockey story or even a good sports idol for kids.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Seeing the career he's put together and the high level he is still playing at just makes me wish the Ducks would have been able to keep him this whole time. He was one of my favorite Ducks players. Glad to see he has found a great spot in the 'Burgh

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I want to say I read over the summer nobody in history has more career points than he does without ever having hit 50 points in one season.

He's basically been a guaranteed a roughly .5 PPG player for the better part of 20 years.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
before last year Penguins bottom 6 on paper looked weak but damn have they continued to be amazing

honestly think their medical team have been giving them magic pills aka pedsss

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Curious to know howmany offers he had before he signed with the Pens again in the summer.

Just going off of Michael Russo, I don't think he had a single one before the Pens offer. But, and this is a big but, he was only considering offers from the Pens and Wild, and if he didn't get one from either team, he was going to retire. If he had marketed himself to the entire league, I'd have to think he'd have had at least a few teams interested.

I love Matt Cullen. Nice guy, works hard, family man, and like someone else said, an every-man, not some aging superstar still hanging in there. He's an odd case of a guy simultaneously never living up to his potential as a scorer, and yet exceeding his potential as a hockey player.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
hard to believe he's been in the league almost 20 years now. his time with the ducks feels like decades ago

guy's a true warrior. goes 110% every night which is remarkable considering his age and mileage

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
His skating if unreal and this league will always value players who can skate, which is why a guy like Michael Grabner can still get a contract.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
He is the 2nd highest scorer from the 1996 draft.

Now, 1996 was a crappy draft year...but the fact that he is only 30 points from being the top scorer from his draft year is pretty amazing.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I feel like us Rangers fans are the only group without fond memories of the guy. He hit a post every shift that one year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He is the 2nd highest scorer from the 1996 draft.

Now, 1996 was a crappy draft year...but the fact that he is only 30 points from being the top scorer from his draft year is pretty amazing.

If he stays fit, he can do those 30 points this year...

... although I'd rather he didn't so we can convince him to come back for one more year.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Shouldn't have taken him so long to get a contracgt.

To be fair not any team could have gotten Cullen on that contract. Cullen was deciding between his hometown team (Minnesota, who didn't exactly pull out all of the stops to get him) and the team he had just won a Cup with (while his kids were actively campaigning to stay in Pittsburgh)...the other 28 teams were non-factors in his decision and that fact definitely kept his cap hit down.

He's been fantastic. He's ageless...the man is still one of the faster players on the ice every game, and when you combine that with solid skill, veteran savvy, and a relentless work rate...it's pretty amazing.

Now how he lasted as long in free agency and signed for what he did in 2015...that one I still can't explain. I guess everyone just looked at his age and wrote him off. With the way he's playing he's still got plenty of hockey left in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad