Has Kopitar now surpassed Toews career?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
With a Selke and a Hart nomination

It's him, Hall and McKinnon, right? Who's expected to win that one? Players aren't nominated, by the way, just voted on. So all we know at the moment is that he finished top 3 in Hart voting.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
With a Selke and a Hart nomination, has Anze Kopitar finally surpassed Jonathan Toews career? Or does Toews' extra Cup still reign him supreme over the Slovenian wonder?
No. He's had a magnificent season while the entire Blackhawks team is slipping. I'll still give Toews the edge, including his international play.

...and when you're having this discussion, you need to include Bergeron too. These are three incredible players who often haven't gotten enough attention because people like shiny things ("Ooh, look... 100 points!" instead of "That guy does everything, except get 100 points.")

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Yes, I'd rank Kopitar ahead. I think they were in the same tier prior to this season. And now Kopitar had a monster year. There aren't many current players ahead of him. The only thing Toews had was an edge in hardware, but Kopitar has been the better player even without the 2nd Selke.

Toews would now need to outlast Kopitar and play a couple years longer. And possibly win more.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sucks for Kopitar he plays for Slovenia. Toews career, when viewed by the public, is helped significantly by his iconic performances at IIHF events. I'd lean Kopitar, but it wouldn't shock me at all if the general voting writer prefers Toews due to the extra cup, 2 Olympic Golds and other international accomplishments.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
No. He's had a magnificent season while the entire Blackhawks team is slipping. I'll still give Toews the edge, including his international play.

...and when you're having this discussion, you need to include Bergeron too. These are three incredible players who often haven't gotten enough attention because people like shiny things ("Ooh, look... 100 points!" instead of "That guy does everything, except get 100 points.")
Wowww you can't use international play to compare the guy from Canada to the guy that's the only player from his country in the nhl

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I don't think an extra cup is any reason to say Toews has had a better career than Kopitar.

Kopitar in 922 games - 290G / 538A / 828P / 0.90PPG, 2 Selkies
Toews in 791 games - 292G / 382A / 674P / 0.85PPG, 1 Selkie, 1 Smythe

The edge is already in Kopitars favor. Although I guess it depends what Toews does in the 131 games to catch up to Kopitars games played.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Sucks for Kopitar he plays for Slovenia. Toews career, when viewed by the public, is helped significantly by his iconic performances at IIHF events. I'd lean Kopitar, but it wouldn't shock me at all if the general voting writer prefers Toews due to the extra cup, 2 Olympic Golds and other international accomplishments.
He was given the combined forces of Europe to attack Toews and Team Canada, but ultimately fell short...

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

illpucks

May 26, 2011
With a Selke and a Hart nomination, has Anze Kopitar finally surpassed Jonathan Toews career? Or does Toews' extra Cup still reign him supreme over the Slovenian wonder?
Only on HF has Kopitar surpassed him. Kopitar is a choker as a captain and the Kings have gone nowhere without the leadership of Dustin Brown. Question few years back was has Toews surpassed Crosby?

Reactions: Riddum

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Wowww you can't use international play to compare the guy from Canada to the guy that's the only player from his country in the nhl
Heh, heh, heh.

Actually, I was referring to the fact that on an international team of all-stars, Toews had been the very best (2010 Gold Medal team). It's kinda easy for Kopitar to be the best on his team. I wasn't talking about winning golds. Shoulda been more clear.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
When all is said and done, Kopitar will be known as the superior hockey player.
Not likely, at least talking about the perception that will be driven among casual fans. Toews will have the narrative behind him because he is a good Canadian boy and the hype machine is much bigger for him, despite the fact that Anže was the superior player throughout their career. Quite frankly, I don't think Toews was the best defensive forward on his line, let alone in the league.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Not likely, at least talking about the perception that will be driven among casual fans. Toews will have the narrative behind him because he is a good Canadian boy and the hype machine is much bigger for him, despite the fact that Anže was the superior player throughout their career. Quite frankly, I don't think Toews was the best defensive forward on his line, let alone in the league.
Hossa would be bergeron for league cuz he literally wins the selke any time he plays close to a full season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad