Has JR vindicated himself?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Anyone else think Jordan may stick over Sangs by the end?

If common sense wins out, he would at least get a chance. Problem is jr came into the season loving sangs, and he isn't known for giving up on players he elevates like that. Also sangs is a waiver eligible guy I think, so that clouds the issue for jr. Not for me. If we can give up a first round pick on waivers for nothing when other guys didnt have waiver issues, then screw it why not sangs?

Value is pretty tough for trades right now. No one wanted to trade for hickey, and someone else went surprisingly cheap this past week I think. Yeah tangradi for a 7th. No takers on petrecki or tyrell.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Sanguinetti played the first two games so, no he wasn't.

Sanguinetti played well in the first couple games (a likely product of both him playing for Charlotte and the majority of the rest of the league not playing much in the lockout), but as soon as the league talent started getting their legs back under them, Sanguinetti was exposed. And exposed badly.

If Corvo continues to play like he has been the past couple games, he's worth keeping around. If he reverts back, we may have to stick with the Corvo/Sangs revolving door until one of them gets their head on straight.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Is everyone comfortable going to playoff war with our group of defensemen because I'm not? Im fine with Gleason, Joni, Faulk, and Harrison but beyond that there is noone I can consistently trust and noone who is difficult to play against.

That speaks for a lot of teams' 5/6 defenseman. Canes might struggle a little more than others in that regard...but that's why you have J Staal and Semin acquisitions in the offseason, to balance it out. Or make up for it. Very few teams have no holes.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Sanguinetti played well in the first couple games (a likely product of both him playing for Charlotte and the majority of the rest of the league not playing much in the lockout), but as soon as the league talent started getting their legs back under them, Sanguinetti was exposed. And exposed badly.

If Corvo continues to play like he has been the past couple games, he's worth keeping around. If he reverts back, we may have to stick with the Corvo/Sangs revolving door until one of them gets their head on straight.

Is that the same Sanguinetti that gave up a goal with mite level defense in the 1st 5 minutes of the season? He's been brutal since his first shift.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Likely accurate as far as Sangs goes. I would love to see Jordan get the chance to stick, at least for a few games. Not sure if he's waiver eligible as well (I think he is) but he's a younger dman then Sangs, brings a better defensive game, and is still at least passable at bringing the puck movement game. He won't dominate by any stretch, he doesn't have the skill set to do so. But I'll take a guy that can bring a solid no-nonsense game as a #6/7 any day of the week.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Jordan is still waiver exempt for this season. Next year he will not be.

As far as the team going into the playoffs, I agree with faulkingdynamic that I feel good about Gleason, Joni, Faulk, and Harrison on a bottom pairing. I also feel fine with either McBain or Corvo on the bottom pairing with PP time. I agree that one top 4 defenseman is needed, especially someone who can help the PK.

But if JR can acquire a top 4 D and enter the playoffs with:
Gleason-Faulk
Pitkanen-(Trade)
Harrison-Corvo/McBain

then things look better.

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of moving like McBain + 2nd for a solid DFD - think Bryan Allen type guy.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
To put it bluntly, who cares about games 1 and 2? It'll be unfortunate if those losses somehow come back to haunt the team, but it's pretty clear they were an unfortunate aberration forced upon us by the lockout.

Cam Ward was the worst goalie in the league, and the Staal's looked useless.

We've seen a few shades of Joe Corvo. The highlight being the 09 season, where he was a very good player. I'd say at worst, in Carolina, he's been 11-12 Jaime McBain.

I hate to use words like playing with a sense of urgency, because we can't know what's going on in his mind, but it seems like he's playing really really really hard.

A play in NJ particularly stuck out in my mind, where he was going to absolute war trying to get a larger Devils player out of the shooting lane on a shot from the point. Not just tie up his stick, or stand near him. He was practically crawling up inside the guys' jersey and pushing, Midvale School for the Gifted style.

I was full on the trash Joe bandwagon early on, but when he said he's stepped up his game, so the Coaches have no choice but to play him, I'm inclined to believe he's doing just that.

If his play stays in the same realm, even ignoring the scoring aspect,

Gleason/Corvo
Pitkanen/McBain
Harrison/Faulk

That's not so bad. If we can get better at the deadline, good. But with our offense, and the forecheck of unending doom, I think we can more than get away with that group.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Said it before, will say it again: barring some sort of prolonged injury to Pitkanen, Faulk, Harrison or Gleason, this is the group that JR will take to the trade deadline, and then he will pick up a defender. Sanguinetti will be like Tverdovsky in '06, and Corvo will get into the lineup when McBain acts like he's playing MN high school hockey (which he will do at various times).

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
To put it bluntly, who cares about games 1 and 2? It'll be unfortunate if those losses somehow come back to haunt the team, but it's pretty clear they were an unfortunate aberration forced upon us by the lockout.

Cam Ward was the worst goalie in the league, and the Staal's looked useless.

We've seen a few shades of Joe Corvo. The highlight being the 09 season, where he was a very good player. I'd say at worst, in Carolina, he's been 11-12 Jaime McBain.

I hate to use words like playing with a sense of urgency, because we can't know what's going on in his mind, but it seems like he's playing really really really hard.

A play in NJ particularly stuck out in my mind, where he was going to absolute war trying to get a larger Devils player out of the shooting lane on a shot from the point. Not just tie up his stick, or stand near him. He was practically crawling up inside the guys' jersey and pushing, Midvale School for the Gifted style.

I was full on the trash Joe bandwagon early on, but when he said he's stepped up his game, so the Coaches have no choice but to play him, I'm inclined to believe he's doing just that.

If his play stays in the same realm, even ignoring the scoring aspect,

Gleason/Corvo
Pitkanen/McBain
Harrison/Faulk

That's not so bad. If we can get better at the deadline, good. But with our offense, and the forecheck of unending doom, I think we can more than get away with that group.

My belief is that with this current roster, they're a playoff team.. With a move or two they could be a cup contending team...That's not to say that bringing in a top 4 dman would guarantee us anything but we are playing for something and I'd like to think we'd make a move to get us closer to the prize.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
We can't lose NHL assets for nothing. Despite what Sangs has looked like in the early going, he's an option we don't have if he leaves. We'd literally be talking about recalling career AHL players without him as a 7th. You simply can't let him get claimed on waivers unless a move is made to bring in someone else who can handle NHL minutes. I have the feeling that the organization was already pretty miffed about having to give Jordan a chance at all and probably did everything in their power to make Tim Gleason play if he could.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I have the feeling that the organization was already pretty miffed about having to give Jordan a chance at all and probably did everything in their power to make Tim Gleason play if he could.

What makes you say this? I'm having trouble understanding why the org would begrudge an emergency call-up of one of their former draft picks...one that they used to be fairly high on, no less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad