Has JR vindicated himself?

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
I know it's sorta early days still, but based on the last 5 games or so, Corvo (Whom I will freely admit to bashing in the offseason) is really looking like he's not only worth the money, but may even be a steal at $2m.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Too early to tell. If we make the playoffs and he resigns Semin to a fair contract I'd say he did extremely well in the offseason. If Semin walks because JR refuses to negotiate mid-season I'll be back to hating him.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Well, Corvo was already pretty damn cheap even without his improved play: 1 year/$2M is a tiny price considering how ridiculous the UFA market always is for defensemen. To give a little perspective, this year scrubs like Greg Zanon and Aaron Rome could get 2 years/$2.25M per and 3 years/$1.5M per, respectively!!! Considering that this move was basically for depth, any additional good play is a bonus for us.

Last edited:

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
Corvo's produced well in a few recent games. This does not mean he will continue to produce, and I'm not willing to discount an entire bad season in Boston over a handful of games. I'm not rooting against the guy, I was thrilled for him tonight.

In terms of JR...he's won us the Cup. He's largely built good teams (especially when we had Lavi) but he's also built a few clunkers while fooling us into believing they were something (the infamous Aaron Ward + Stephan Yelle season. Gritty vets!)

But overall, when you consider the budget he's had to work with, he's a good GM.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
In terms of JR...he's won us the Cup. He's largely built good teams (especially when we had Lavi) but he's also built a few clunkers while fooling us into believing they were something (the infamous Aaron Ward + Stephan Yelle season. Gritty vets!)

As slow and used up as Aaron Ward was that season...at least it was an expiring contract, so the pain was over pretty damn quickly (Boston's still paying the Eaves buyout).

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
As slow and used up as Aaron Ward was that season...at least it was an expiring contract, so the pain was over pretty damn quickly (Boston's still paying the Eaves buyout).

Haha, well the team overall was genuinely crap. Ward and Yelle were just sold to us as important additions when they were just...ugh.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
Corvo plays a game of risk, and so things are pretty much at one extreme or the other. Either he does something and it comes back to bite him, or if he has other players helping cover for him or who are in the right place at the right time it doesn't and leads to some good chances instead. Then there are the games like the last couple, where his risks pay off big time.

Overall I'd say the chemistry is really starting to click with this team, and that's been a huge part in Corvo's play in that they are all playing well together. Hopefully they can keep it up and build on it.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
One slick thing jr does is rarely makes lonterm mistakes. Aside from maybe Brindy's last contract, when the player goes belly up, they are usually gone by the next year. Contrast with buffalo or the isles.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Haha, well the team overall was genuinely crap. Ward and Yelle were just sold to us as important additions when they were just...ugh.

Yes, it was :laugh: Of course, they did have the second best record in the league in the second half IIRC, and one thing that the junk on that team had were highly tradeable, expiring/short-term deals. That season, we were able to parlay what were basically used pucks into Tlusty, Osala, Nash, Sanguinetti, a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th, a 6th, and a 7th. Even JR's bad moves often have silver linings from cap/asset management perspectives.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Early.... yes early.... the Semin move is the best free agent pickup we've ever made. If we can lock him up at a number lower than what he's making this year for future seasons, it'll be a real game changer if he continues to bring the heat the way he has thus far. I hope he doesn't get frustrated with a lack of goal scoring and start neglecting the pleasant surprises in his game like his defensive ability and his forechecking.

Corvo? Corvo is Corvo. He'll have ten bad games, a handful of awesome games, then he'll revert back. Don't fall in love with Corvo on a hot streak.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He's a stop gap. A band aid. No different than him bringing back any vet under his "the devil you know" theory. He could always have good games. He's always been athletic with a good shot and puck skills. The issue has always been game sense. I haven't seen any changes there.

Remember he got a hat trick in his first game against Ottawa? That was amazing. When challenged he can respond well. It's the day to day that messes up joe. I'd rather have him in a playoff game than sangs if it was today, but overall I think we still need to develop his replacement. I thought Jordan looked pretty good for his first game.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Corvo was AWFUL until he sat those three games... Way to early to be excited about his play

Is Corvo the only one who doesn't get a pass on an awful start this season? Guys been good. Better than good. He's doing all the things we could hope for offensively, and has been slick and mostly error free in the defensive zone.

My hopes are up.

Sasha Cares

28 mph!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2006
Island of Misfit Toy
He's a stop gap. A band aid. No different than him bringing back any vet under his "the devil you know" theory. He could always have good games. He's always been athletic with a good shot and puck skills. The issue has always been game sense. I haven't seen any changes there.

Remember he got a hat trick in his first game against Ottawa? That was amazing. When challenged he can respond well. It's the day to day that messes up joe. I'd rather have him in a playoff game than sangs if it was today, but overall I think we still need to develop his replacement. I thought Jordan looked pretty good for his first game.

If used as a band-aid, then this is all good... If he gets an extension then :rant::rant::rant:

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Biggest mistake: Signing Tomas Kaberle to that horiffic deal.

Best move: Searching out Pierre Gauthier to take that contract off his hands in exchange for an expiring contract (Spacek).

Beardy*

Biggest mistake: Signing Tomas Kaberle to that horiffic deal.

Best move: Searching out Pierre Gauthier to take that contract off his hands in exchange for an expiring contract (Spacek).

lol seriously.... how in the world did we get that monster off our books?

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
Is everyone comfortable going to playoff war with our group of defensemen because I'm not? Im fine with Gleason, Joni, Faulk, and Harrison but beyond that there is noone I can consistently trust and noone who is difficult to play against.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Is everyone comfortable going to playoff war with our group of defensemen because I'm not? Im fine with Gleason, Joni, Faulk, and Harrison but beyond that there is noone I can consistently trust and noone who is difficult to play against.

Oh, I'm not sure any of us are comfortable with our d in a playoff situation. With all of them healthy we seem probably two solid guys short a cup challenger. If Pitts is the top, I think we need another top pairing guy. That's just me though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad