OT: Has anyone tried playing hockey with a mask on?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If you have would appreciate thoughts on which mask, breathability, how safe, etc.

I've been sitting out since the pandemic started but in going nuts and am at least considering giving it a go. I've got underlying risk factors so playing without a mask just isn't an option .

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
My spring-summer league went on (I couldn’t play because of that health issue I was experiencing) and there was not a single case. Fall-spring ball hockey season just started and I play my 2nd game this afternoon. I didn’t see anybody wearing a mask and I think wearing a mask while engaging in strenuous activity is dangerous. There have been cases of people exercising while wearing masks and fainting, even dying. Masks also get really disgusting when you’re exercising so it’s nearly impossible not to be readjusting which would mean you’re touching your face. Wearing a mask while playing is stupid IMO, there are much easier precautions you can take.

What kind of facial protection do you wear to play? I wear a fishbowl so the visor part goes down past my nose and nearly covers part of my mouth, then I also have those thick plastic bars covering a large part of my mouth. I would recommend getting a fishbowl. This also allows you not to wear a mouth guard, mouth guards spread germs like crazy as you’re taking it out putting it back in wearing a glove that’s touched other people’s gloves, etc.

I play ice & ball hockey, in my ball hockey league I’ve decided to homedress to minimize contact and not sit around in the locker room. So I walk into the arena with my shin pads, elbow pads, jersey, gloves, helmet already on. Ice hockey season starts this month and idk yet how I’ll manage the dressing, it’s a little more uncomfortable to wear ice hockey pads in the car lol. Our coach also used to bring water bottles that we’d share, we’re now strictly bringing & using our own. The refs also throw anyone out who engages after the whistle, there were 2 game misconducts at my last game for scrums after whistles. They also wipe down the benches, gate doors, etc in between each game.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
My spring-summer league went on (I couldn’t play because of that health issue I was experiencing) and there was not a single case. Fall-spring ball hockey season just started and I play my 2nd game this afternoon. I didn’t see anybody wearing a mask and I think wearing a mask while engaging in strenuous activity is dangerous. There have been cases of people exercising while wearing masks and fainting, even dying. Masks also get really disgusting when you’re exercising so it’s nearly impossible not to be readjusting which would mean you’re touching your face. Wearing a mask while playing is stupid IMO, there are much easier precautions you can take.

What kind of facial protection do you wear to play? I wear a fishbowl so the visor part goes down past my nose and nearly covers part of my mouth, then I also have those thick plastic bars covering a large part of my mouth. I would recommend getting a fishbowl. This also allows you not to wear a mouth guard, mouth guards spread germs like crazy as you’re taking it out putting it back in wearing a glove that’s touched other people’s gloves, etc.

I play ice & ball hockey, in my ball hockey league I’ve decided to homedress to minimize contact and not sit around in the locker room. So I walk into the arena with my shin pads, elbow pads, jersey, gloves, helmet already on. Ice hockey season starts this month and idk yet how I’ll manage the dressing, it’s a little more uncomfortable to wear ice hockey pads in the car lol. Our coach also used to bring water bottles that we’d share, we’re now strictly bringing & using our own. The refs also throw anyone out who engages after the whistle, there were 2 game misconducts at my last game for scrums after whistles. They also wipe down the benches, gate doors, etc in between each game.
We've had some cases here... I feel like if I play in 100% going to wear a mask. Leaning towards the under armor sportamask

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Kids have played both Lacrosse all summer and started fball last month without masks. Nobody else wears them either.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
We've had some cases here... I feel like if I play in 100% going to wear a mask. Leaning towards the under armor sportamask
Have you tried exercising wearing a mask before? When you inhale it basically gets sucked into your mouth and it feels like you're choking, I don't know what your pre-existing condition is but if it's anything like asthma I think it would do a lot of harm wearing a mask while playing.

What kind of facial protection do you wear when you play? I don't know if fishbowls are taboo where you play but they've definitely had a resurgence among my generation. Fishbowls are already protective from spreading germs but there's also an attachment called the Bauer Splash Guard which would give you full protection from germs without impeding your ability to breathe.

ConceptIII_1200x1200.jpg

There's also a CCM fabric mask that attaches to cages/fishbowls so it would stay on well without needing readjustment
rs.php

rs.php

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Have you tried exercising wearing a mask before? When you inhale it basically gets sucked into your mouth and it feels like you're choking, I don't know what your pre-existing condition is but if it's anything like asthma I think it would do a lot of harm wearing a mask while playing.

What kind of facial protection do you wear when you play? I don't know if fishbowls are taboo where you play but they've definitely had a resurgence among my generation. Fishbowls are already protective from spreading germs but there's also an attachment called the Bauer Splash Guard which would give you full protection from germs without impeding your ability to breathe.

ConceptIII_1200x1200.jpg

There's also a CCM fabric mask that attaches to cages/fishbowls so it would stay on well without needing readjustment
rs.php

rs.php
Yeah I've thought about that combo as well

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Which mask?
Replying to PM here in case anyone else wants to know

cCD8dks.jpg
I use the Bauer Concept 3, you can get the splash guard for it (not sure if it fits on other branded fishbowls or cages)
It offers really good coverage even without the splash guard, it covers my nose and down to part of my mouth (then obviously the bars in front of mouth as well) and allows you not to wear a mouth guard which are breeding grounds for bacteria.

some people complain about fishbowls fogging up but I typically don’t have that problem. I play most games in nicer arenas that are quite modern though, when I’ve played in older arenas with bad humidity I can get fogging issues but nothing too bad. I’ve never played with just a visor or no visor so I can’t compare it, but the fishbowl has way better visibility than a cage (and is more protective against germs)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yeah the full face-shield with the splash guard looks like the best best, and even the second option EdJov posted with the full conforming mask (looser masks can definitely cause issues).

Seen a couple of people on my Twitter TL with the face shield option and have had great reports about it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've played a couple pick up soccer games over the summer with a mask. I initially tried with a cloth mask but that was tough, the gaiter was easier with breathability but would fall off your face a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad