Has anyone here seen Chris Lawrence play/Is he overhyped ala Joe Barnes based on size

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreek

Feb 28, 2002
New York
Visit site
Has anyone seen this kid play? Seems to have great size. Reminds me somewhat of Joe Barnes at this time last year. Not real great numbers but people on here were raving about his size and potential. Do you see any similarities in the two? I remmber reading that he did not get a lot of playing time with SSM this year due to the team's veteran presence. However, the Greyhounds failed to make the playoffs so I don't know if maybe didn't play simply because he was not up to par talent-wise. I know Chris is highly regarded for the 2005 NHL draft and that he had a great showing at the U-17 Tourney ealrier this year but can anyone provide me with a scouting report on this kid. I was wondering where you thought he would be drafted in the 05 Draft and what type of NHLer he projects to be at this point. Any comparisons from the pro level would be great as well and how does he compare with other top 05 eligible players (Setoguchi, Durand, Ryder, Latendresse, Brule, Downie)?

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
TheGreek said:
Has anyone seen this kid play? Seems to have great size. Reminds me somewhat of Joe Barnes at this time last year. Not real great numbers but people on here were raving about his size and potential. Do you see any similarities in the two? I remmber reading that he did not get a lot of playing time with SSM this year due to the team's veteran presence. However, the Greyhounds failed to make the playoffs so I don't know if maybe didn't play simply because he was not up to par talent-wise. I know Chris is highly regarded for the 2005 NHL draft and that he had a great showing at the U-17 Tourney ealrier this year but can anyone provide me with a scouting report on this kid. I was wondering where you thought he would be drafted in the 05 Draft and what type of NHLer he projects to be at this point. Any comparisons from the pro level would be great as well and how does he compare with other top 05 eligible players (Setoguchi, Durand, Ryder, Latendresse, Brule, Downie)?

Lawrence is not overhyped considering nobody here talks about him. He is a good skater and is a 1st round prospect. He could be a top 15 guy, but he is not in the top tier with NA guys like Brule, Bertram, Latendresse and Elayoubi.

Mikey 71

Lawrence did not play as much because of depth at center in the Soo. He played behind Jeff Carter, Tyler Kennedy, and Matt Maccarone(6'6") for much of the first half of the season. In the second half he was bumped up to the 3rd center after Maccarone was dealt but it was extremely hard for him to get on the ice with Carter playing almost 1/2 of the game. I think he is a late 1st round pick right now and given more of a chance in the Soo for quality ice time, he could be a mid first rounder.

As for his game, I really think he is just confidence away frome really contributing on the scoresheet. He can read the ice very well at times and doesn't make any more rookie mistakes than any other rookie in the OHL. He needs to fill out a bit too, but at 16, still has plenty of time. WAY too early to predict point totals for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad