Has Anyone Else Found These Games to be Just...Off?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Throughout these entire Games, there was something “off” about them that I just couldn’t quite put my finger on.

Whether it was poor/weird scheduling or time zone differences, they just never felt like an actual Olympic Games to me. The Games are supposed to be big, bold, important, climactic. These Games have kind of just been there in the background and - to me at least - have been one of the quietest, least attention-grabbing in recent memory.

I don’t think it’s solely due to the time difference because Sochi and London didn’t feel this way. Maybe it’s due to the oddly spaced scheduling where nothing happened for large swaths of time. At any rate, to me these have felt more like I’m watching a dress rehearsal for the Games, or a smaller competition like the Canada Games. No disrespect intended to those types of events, but the Olympics are supposed to feel bigger and these two weeks haven’t felt that way at all.

Canada sets a record for most medals in its history and it’s barely a blip registered.

Is it just me?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Throughout these entire Games, there was something “off” about them that I just couldn’t quite put my finger on.

Whether it was poor/weird scheduling or time zone differences, they just never felt like an actual Olympic Games to me. The Games are supposed to be big, bold, important, climactic. These Games have kind of just been there in the background and - to me at least - have been one of the quietest, least attention-grabbing in recent memory.

I don’t think it’s solely due to the time difference because Sochi and London didn’t feel this way. Maybe it’s due to the oddly spaced scheduling where nothing happened for large swaths of time. At any rate, to me these have felt more like I’m watching a dress rehearsal for the Games, or a smaller competition like the Canada Games. No disrespect intended to those types of events, but the Olympics are supposed to feel bigger and these two weeks haven’t felt that way at all.

Canada sets a record for most medals in its history and it’s barely a blip registered.

Is it just me?
Must be the time zone. It's on the other side of the globe. How did you experience Nagano?

Reactions: Fighter

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Must be the time zone. It's on the other side of the globe. How did you experience Nagano?

Nagano was pretty quiet too but I count everything pre-2000 as before the Olympics exploded into a media and sporting frenzy. Starting with Sydney in 2000, every Games has been the focus of attention for 2 weeks while they run. This year just seems oddly quiet and smaller.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Maybe the somewhat boring location makes it look that way, but the organization has been very good in my opinion. Clinically good, but no carnival and fireworks. The athletic performances are in focus, and it's hard to have much to complain about that.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Maybe the somewhat boring location makes it look that way, but the organization has been very good in my opinion. Clinically good, but no carnival and fireworks.

That might be the word I was looking for. They’ve been clinically cold to me. No warmth, no spectacle. Just by the book and in and out.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Nagano was pretty quiet too but I count everything pre-2000 as before the Olympics exploded into a media and sporting frenzy. Starting with Sydney in 2000, every Games has been the focus of attention for 2 weeks while they run. This year just seems oddly quiet and smaller.
That late? In Germany it has been on since forever. I was too young for Moscow but I vividly remember details of Los Angeles and Sarajevo. Olympics in Germany was as long as I remember a 24/7 issue.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
That might be the word I was looking for. They’ve been clinically cold to me. No warmth, no spectacle. Just by the book and in and out.
That might be due to cultural perception. Korea is on the other side of the globe and they are generally a little more reserved but they are warm people ( they have "jeong")

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That might be due to cultural perception. Korea is on the other side of the globe and they are generally a little more reserved but they are warm people ( they have "jeong")

I’m Asian myself so I completely understand that perspective, and yes, that may very well be the main cause. A reserved, quiet people put on an efficient and orderly Games.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
The lack of spectators does make this look like some weird third-rate event or something. It looks like it is, like, 20 people around the course when they compete. I think this affects it a lot. It's really awful.

For those of you who live in countries without big, tax-funded TV-stations, the difference might not be so big on the next one: But here in Norway it is kind of weird with an Olympics sold to commercial TV-stations where they take breaks to show commercials all the time. They have resorted to have a split screen where you can still se the race, after tons of complaints, but still -weird.

[(a small edit for typo:)]

Last edited:
Reactions: BMann

At least in Canada, I think the lack of NHL players makes a big difference. A lot of people tune in primarily watch their games and stick around to watch something else that catches their interest along the way. That's where a lot of the casual viewers who drive up the talk about the games seem to come from. Anecdotally, that certainly is the case with the people I know, as most of them haven't watched a single event, unlike previous games. Plus, the hype and discussion around the selection process for the team helps drive up awareness and interest for several months leading up to the games as well.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Because of the time difference I have watched on the BBC Red Button. The sport is still enthralling. The Winter Olympics have a unique feel and always have done (climate change may affect them considerably) but what I am disappointed by is the lack of spectators. Some venues have been almost empty. It's a real shame. Olympics don't just pop by in your nation every four years. It will be decades before they go there again.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
The lack of spectators does make this look like some weird third-rate event or something. It looks like it is, like, 20 people around the course when they compete. I think this affects it a lot. It's really awful.

For those of you who live in countries without big, tax-funded TV-stations, the difference might be so big on the next one: But here in Norway it is kind of weird with an Olympics sold to commercial TV-stations where they take breaks to show commercials all the time. They have resorted to have a split screen where you can still se the race, after tons of complaints, but still -weird.

We are very lucky that the BBC still holds exclusive rights to the Olympics. I have seen coverage from other nations where the state broadcaster no longer does. Intrusive advertising ruins coverage.

Reactions: FVM and Eisen

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
The timezone is definitely a bit difficult. I have missed almost all morning sessions that start between 2 am and 4 am in Finland. So I basically missed all the alpine stuff, jumps, most of snowboarding etc. The wind was also terrible early in the game which postponed many competitions and caused confusion.

The lack of spectators is also disappointing in some events. The cross country tracks have been almost empty. But it's understandable because these are a kind of fringe sports in Asia.

The organization has been fine though. I haven't heard any complaints about the sporting venues.

Thank God we still have state broadcast rights in Finland. Well, men's hockey was sold to a commercial tv but I wasn't that bothered about it because NHL players weren't there. YLE will probably lose it's rights eventually to these major sports events but I'll enjoy it while I still can.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i will admit the time difference and my age has really shown during these Olympics. the first week i was waking up at whatever time to watch whatever and now it was like meh, okay they won/lost, won't bother watching now lol that's not a Korea thing though that's a damn i'm old thing.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They've been fine to me. I think that it's just perception... partly due to cultural differences and partly due to personal expectations. If you're Canadian, it may feel "off" because Canadians aren't competing for gold in hockey and curling, and, if you're American, it may feel "off" because Americans are winning gold in curling and cross country. I'm the latter and it definitely feels surreal and different than past Olympics, but that's due to the results, not the organization, coverage or whatnot of the Games, themselves.

Last edited:

Lisa Needs Braces

Apr 7, 2004
I think the time change is a huge part of it. London and Sochi were tailored to have the big moments show at a reasonable hour in the US/Canada. I'm not getting up at 2am to watch a semi final for something when I have to work the next day. Also, the US team was not very good this olympics overall so there was a lot less focus from American media. And no NHLers so the mens hockey teams were a bunch of nobodies or KHLers and were basically not worth watching.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

Is it just me?
I find that the Winter Olympics tend to be more hit and miss.

There's been aspects of PyeongChang that have felt like the Olympic Games to me and others that haven't. The one thing that's stood out is the pretty tame and sparse crowds at so many of the events. Albeit a small nitpick, the fact that none of the medals whatsoever are handed out at the venues is anticlimactic as well.

The Summer Games are more of an event these days. And with Canada becoming more well rounded and threatening in numerous sports/disciplines they haven't really competed in during the past 2 decades, I think those are getting a lot more attention in the country.

Bring on Tokyo 2020 where De Grasse and Penny are gonna light the world on fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUPEN and Cloned

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

There's been aspects of PyeongChang that have felt like the Olympic Games to me and others that haven't. The one thing that's stood out is the pretty tame and sparse crowds at so many of the events. Albeit a small nitpick, the fact that none of the medals whatsoever are handed out at the venues is anticlimactic as well.

The Summer Games are more of an event these days. And with Canada becoming more well rounded and threatening in numerous sports/disciplines they haven't really competed in during the past 2 decades, I think those are getting a lot more attention in the country.

Bring on Tokyo 2020 where De Grasse and Penny are gonna light the world on fire.

actually. that bugged me a lot.

Reactions: PSUPEN

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

De Grasse yes, but I would caution having too many expectations for Penny. She has been inconsistent and injured since the Olympics.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I've had no desire to watch these Games (nor have I since the NHL didn't participate), but yeah things have felt a bit....strange.

In 2014 and 2010 there was more of a definite how can I say....buzz in the air?? I.E. When the new year arrived we knew it was Olympic time, or most of us couldn't wait for them to start. With these Olympics I don't know anyone who'se watched any of the coverage.

Shitty time zones and no NHL players being there doesn't help either.

Oct 18, 2006
As usual, I have absolutely loved watching anything and everything I can and to me there’s nothing more special than the Olympics, simmer or winger. I always try to soak up as much of the action as possible and with the favourable time zone; it’s enabled me to see most events.

In saying all that, I agree to a certain extent. I feel like the games have been very well organised with no dramas and no controversies. So hats off to South Korea for their organisational skills. However there have certainly been some issues. The attendance has been poor at certain events, mainly the ice hockey, biathlon , ski jumping and cross-country. It might not be fair to compare but you watch a World Cup biathlon event and the athletes are so revered, such generous applause and appreciation for their efforts. When shooters came into the range there was mild reception, when someone shot clean to pull away, barely anything. Even athletes crossing the finish line were greeted to a pretty subdued reception. Cross country, absolutely no one out on the tracks, the PA guy having to shout ‘hands up in the air’ every time they came around. It just made things feel less special, like less of an occasion than the Olympics deserve. These athletes are the best of the best competing for their sports highest honour; sometimes it didn’t necessarily feel like that. Even at the bottom of the alpine skiing events, a bit flat.

Then there was the scheduling. Cramming 3 or 4 medal events late at night local time, which meant that it was hard to catch most of that action. Then there were 3-4 hour blocks during the afternoon where there was literally nothing on. Scheduling was a big issue. Often at night you’d have biathlon, bobsleigh, ski jumping, short track all on at once, which was frustrating as it would’ve been nice to catch all of it, which would’ve been possible if they’d spread it out. But TV stations obviously have a huge say in this.

I think a lot of it comes down to the time zone; you can easily lose track/interest if events are shown at ungodly hours. So yeah I can see the reason behind this thread but that didn’t stop me from loving every single second it was on and from experiencing the withdrawal symptoms which will soon set in.

Reactions: VP and shortshorts

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The timezone is definitely a bit difficult. I have missed almost all morning sessions that start between 2 am and 4 am in Finland. So I basically missed all the alpine stuff, jumps, most of snowboarding etc. The wind was also terrible early in the game which postponed many competitions and caused confusion.

The lack of spectators is also disappointing in some events. The cross country tracks have been almost empty. But it's understandable because these are a kind of fringe sports in Asia.

The organization has been fine though. I haven't heard any complaints about the sporting venues.

Thank God we still have state broadcast rights in Finland. Well, men's hockey was sold to a commercial tv but I wasn't that bothered about it because NHL players weren't there. YLE will probably lose it's rights eventually to these major sports events but I'll enjoy it while I still can.

Fringe in Asia yes, but they also made it ridiculously expensive. Even family members of Norwegian athletes couldn´t afford to go. I saw packages before the Olympics at €5k for one week (by the way the cheapest I found).

I feel sorry for athletes reaching their peak between 14 and 22. Three #%"% locations in a row for winter sports. I can understand the odd "novel" location, but three in a row is just stupid. IOC seem to have finally understood though. 26 games will most likely be in a proper winter sports location.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Time zone and work didn't help me, but I think these Games were just fine. the Winter Olympics are just not like the Summer ones. Looking forward to Tokyo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad