Has any NHL team or any team tbh had so many career ending injuries?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I think it may be disingenuous to call Timonen's injury, in itself, "career ending". While it obviously could be the end of the road for him, the injury alone isn't one that would put him away for good. Age is the reason why it's even a possibility.

Whereas Pronger's injury, for example, was one that would end a career no matter the circumstances.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Well it certainly may put a nail in the coffin of his career.But so many others, obviously Pronger, Lindbergh, Tertyshny come to mind

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Parent and Primeau as well... though both were into their 30's. Though both were still playing at a very high level until the moment their career was ended, similar to Pronger in that regard.

The injuries that diminished Lindros age ~26-28 as well as Gagne and Kerr. (both around age 29 when started to be severely troubled.)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If we're trying to go into the hockey hall of fame of unlucky and horrible incidents then we're still firmly behind Lokomotiv Yaroslavl on that leaderboard.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If we're trying to go into the hockey hall of fame of unlucky and horrible incidents then we're still firmly behind Lokomotiv Yaroslavl on that leaderboard.

I'll file that one under incompetence more than unlucky. The KHL knew the planes sucked & were outdated but valued saving some bucks over safety.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Surprised no one has mentioned Propp yet. I still can hear my Dad saying "he was never the same after the POS Chelios elbowed in the head!" He was already 30 years old, and was traded the following season, but yeah, I guess it also fits.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I doubt the Flyers are are any different from other organizations, it's just that we are all familiar with the injuries that took place. If you talk to fans from other organizations I'm sure you'd see that there are just as many for them. The Flyers seem to have a lot more catastrophic type of injuries/illnesses (Ashbee, Lindbergh, Tertyshny) but even with that I don't know the history of other teams. The Leafs have that Bill Barillko cat who died way back when. I'm sure there are others.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I doubt the Flyers are are any different from other organizations, it's just that we are all familiar with the injuries that took place. If you talk to fans from other organizations I'm sure you'd see that there are just as many for them. The Flyers seem to have a lot more catastrophic type of injuries/illnesses (Ashbee, Lindbergh, Tertyshny) but even with that I don't know the history of other teams. The Leafs have that Bill Barillko cat who died way back when. I'm sure there are others.

All franchises deal with players breaking down due to injury, but the Flyers have to be up there in terms of unexpected or sudden injuries that ended the careers of star players. I mean Lindros is probably the most famous example in NHL history of a legitimate generational talent just having his career completely destroyed by injury, and it's something that no one could have really predicted. There's Mario and his health concerns, but he was able to come back and still be a generational player. Most felt that Lindros was done from the moment that Stevens hit him. Primeau and his concussion was sudden and unexpected, Pronger too. Lindbergh's wreck was something that could have happened to anyone. Ashbee's injury was too.

I'm sure there are other franchise that can play the what-if game as well, but I have to believe that the Flyers are at or near the top of the list in terms of franchise altering injuries. They have been fairly healthy during the Richards/Carter and Giroux eras (outside of Pronger who was already on the back nine of his career), so maybe our luck is turning.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Deaths during career since 1968 while still in organisation:

Atlanta:

Dan Snyder

Blues:

Bob Gassoff
Jeff Batters

Calgary:

Pelawa

Carolina:

Steve Chiasson

Detroit:

Terry Sawchuk

Edmonton:

Don Ashby
Trevor Ettinger
Kristiāns PelÅ¡s

Kings:

Scott Garlands

Leafs:

Tim Horton

Montreal:

Neil Carnes

Nashville:

Sergei Zholtok

Nordiques:

John Kordic

North Stars/Dallas:

Bill Masterton
Scott Winkler

Penguins:

Michel Briere
Artem Kopot

Philadelphia:

Barry Ashbee
Yannick Dupre
Dmitri Tertyshny
Pelle Lindbergh

Rangers:

Roman Lyashenko
Alexei Cherepanov
Derek Boogaard

Vancouver:

Luc Bourdon
Rick Rypien

So we do lead that unfortunate list.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Tough to compare with other organizations but some of the career-ending injuries that happened on ice deserve a special mention (Ashbee, Parent...even Laperrierre). But one that needs mention is to Bob Dailey.

The Flyers got off to a tremendous start early in the season, sporting a gaudy 8-1-1 record through the first 10 games. After an ugly 8-4 loss at the Spectrum to Dailey’s old team, the Canucks, the Flyers headed to the Aud in Buffalo. Dailey, who had scored in the Canucks game, had six points and a plus-five rating heading into Buffalo.

With the Flyers’ trailing the Sabres 4-1 in the second period, Dailey raced Buffalo forward Tony McKegney for an icing touch up. Dailey never made it. Bumped from behind by McKegney, Dailey’s skate got caught in a rut in the ice and he fell backwards into the boards, shattering both his tibula and fibula.

“The ankle was busted on both sides. The bones were in a hundred pieces,” he recalled in The Greatest Players and Moments of the Philadelphia Flyers.

Dailey was carried off the ice on a stretcher and rushed to a local hospital.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=435864

------------------------------------

Also, Joe Watson, though I never saw it, had one when he played for the former Colorado Rockies. Watson is a lifer with the Flyers but his injury was nearly as bad as any:

Just 16 games into his first campaign, while playing against St. Louis, Watson chased a loose puck near the end of the ice. The Blues' Wayne Babych checked him against the boards, leaving the fallen rearguard with the worst broken leg in NHL history. His thighbone was shattered into 14 pieces and his kneecap was split in two. Watson's career on ice was over. He was lucky to escape with only a permanently disabled leg.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=14650

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
All franchises deal with players breaking down due to injury, but the Flyers have to be up there in terms of unexpected or sudden injuries that ended the careers of star players. I mean Lindros is probably the most famous example in NHL history of a legitimate generational talent just having his career completely destroyed by injury, and it's something that no one could have really predicted. There's Mario and his health concerns, but he was able to come back and still be a generational player. Most felt that Lindros was done from the moment that Stevens hit him. Primeau and his concussion was sudden and unexpected, Pronger too. Lindbergh's wreck was something that could have happened to anyone. Ashbee's injury was too.

I'm sure there are other franchise that can play the what-if game as well, but I have to believe that the Flyers are at or near the top of the list in terms of franchise altering injuries. They have been fairly healthy during the Richards/Carter and Giroux eras (outside of Pronger who was already on the back nine of his career), so maybe our luck is turning.

Lappy should be added to that unfortunate list:(

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Not only is it the quantity of players, but the quality. Lindbergh, Primeau, and Pronger were all great players. If we throw Lindros into that list, it is pretty ridiculous how much talent the Flyers lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad