Speculation: Has Adam Oates Been Fired Yet????

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Quick question,

Is Oates responsible for the PP success or is that on one of the assistants. Also, how much of that success really is on the coach with this group of PP guys we have. I remember when Oates was in Hershey their PP was god awful (and still is!)

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Quick question,

Is Oates responsible for the PP success or is that on one of the assistants. Also, how much of that success really is on the coach with this group of PP guys we have. I remember when Oates was in Hershey their PP was god awful (and still is!)

I thought the PP was Forsythe's responsibility.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Quick question,

The PP is Forsythe.

Liberati0n*

The PP is Forsythe.

Yes. That doesn't mean it's not Oates' design. Forsythe runs it and makes smaller changes, but all signs are that the PP system is Oates'. Oates also at least promoted Forsythe before this season and may have hired him in the first place(?).

It seems like it's a pretty ingenious design...as long as you have an Ovechkin. Losing him would compromise everything.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I remember a lot of NJD fans claiming Oates wouldn't be a good head coach and frustrated with him as an assistant.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yes. That doesn't mean it's not Oates' design. Forsythe runs it and makes smaller changes, but all signs are that the PP system is Oates'. Oates also at least promoted Forsythe before this season and may have hired him in the first place(?).

It seems like it's a pretty ingenious design...as long as you have an Ovechkin. Losing him would compromise everything.

Oates's whole career, player and coach, in a paragraph. It's always been about helping one guy score goals:

Hull
Neely
Bondra
Kovie
Ovie

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Quick question,

Forsythe has the direct responsibility, but it's an Oates design. It has a lot in common with what the Devils were doing under Oates.

I remember a lot of NJD fans claiming Oates wouldn't be a good head coach and frustrated with him as an assistant.
And a lot of NJ players, including guys like Elias, claiming he would be an excellent head coach.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

And a lot of NJ players, including guys like Elias, claiming he would be an excellent head coach.

If the NJD players knew anything, they'd be in the game.

Guess this proves once and for all that HFBoards posters are the authority on such topics :nod:

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Forsythe has the direct responsibility, but it's an Oates design. It has a lot in common with what the Devils were doing under Oates.

What else would they say publicly? "Eh, I didn't like Adam to be honest. He nitpicked everything and just didn't contribute a whole lot to the coaching staff."

DeBoer's words on Oates during the last NJ/WSH game spoke volumes. He had to think for like 5 long seconds of anything positive to say about him. All he could muster up was pretty much "he was a smart player, so he's a smart coach". :laugh:

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water

I'd claim that too in hopes he would be hired elsewhere.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Trotz's contract reportedly expires at the end of June in Nashville. Yay or nay? Depends on who the higher-ups are but I kind of don't mind the idea. He's a stable experienced hand at least. I'd take him over Tortorella, assuming he gets the axe once their mgmt. makes up their mind.

Whoever it is needs to preach defense leading to offense and explosive speed through the neutral zone. I don't think Trotz would handicap them in that regard and maybe they'd finally get good D management. I might like the length of the resume more than the content but I wouldn't mind him being on the short list.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
As long as Laviolette is out there, I'd say no to Trotz.

If Lavi gets hired before the Caps make a change, it's worth considering, but I'm not sure Trotz's style/system, however defenseman friendly it may be, fits the Caps' core.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If you hire Fenton, though, Trotz likely becomes the logical frontrunner to coach I would think. Would Trotz open it up to a greater extent with more horses up front? Could Evason join him?

Either way they need to get the higher-up positions settled first--and hopefully sooner than later--so that they can get everything in order to prepare for subsequent hires and the off-season generally. The longer it takes the greater the chance that some of the coaching candidates get picked off.

It's looking like Nashville, Toronto, Carolina and Vancouver could all be making coaching changes among non-playoff teams. Highly disappointing first round losses could add a few more among playoff teams and could provide those other teams a reason not to rush into a hire.

If they're also looking at a front office executive to begin the process then change should start coming pretty soon you'd think.

PucktotheHead

Jan 11, 2014
Virginia
Either way they need to get the higher-up positions settled first--

Agree.

Who might they look at as a possibility for President of the club? Inside the Org promotion or (hopefully) bring someone new in? And what would you guys think about Jim Benning as GM?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Agree.

Who might they look at as a possibility for President of the club? Inside the Org promotion or (hopefully) bring someone new in? And what would you guys think about Jim Benning as GM?

No idea how realistic these names would be as possibilities, but Pat Quinn and Pierre Lacroix seem interesting choices as President.

Benning would be one of my top 3 (along with Joe Will and probably Jeff Gorton) for GM.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It would have to be someone from outside the org. Who knows. Plenty of names out there. I'm a fan of NotGretzky.

Now Walsh is putting Oates on blast:

SkyKerstein: Statement from #Caps Halak's agent @walsha "On Jaroslav Halak, Jaro never at anytime said he didn't want to start against St. Louis...A private conversation between a player and coach should stay private and not be discussed with the media....I am bewildered that a coach would break that trust especially when those comments the coach publicly attributed to Jaro are not accurate...It's the coach who makes the decision on who plays in the games, not the players."

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
SkyKerstein: Statement from #Caps Halak's agent @walsha "On Jaroslav Halak, Jaro never at anytime said he didn't want to start against St. Louis...A private conversation between a player and coach should stay private and not be discussed with the media....I am bewildered that a coach would break that trust especially when those comments the coach publicly attributed to Jaro are not accurate...It's the coach who makes the decision on who plays in the games, not the players."

PucktotheHead

Jan 11, 2014
Virginia
I am just about to the point where I believe Oates is doing this crap on purpose to get back at the club that stripped his "C" after he demanded a trade and they then traded him to Philly. lol

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
LOL

I figured Walsh would chime in and I have no qualms with his chiming in this time.

I'll be happy to this thread title change to "Adam Oates Has FINALLY Been Fired".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad