Speculation: Has a team ever signed a free agent with the intention of trading them?

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
The only one I an think of is when the Ottawa Senators traded Marian Hossa hours after signing him to an extension, and as far as I understand, Hossa was not aware of the trade.

Here's some more information about it: The Marian Hossa for Dany Heatley Trade, Revisited
Typical Senators.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
you can’t do a sign a UFS, retain, then trade. It’s cap circumvention. The league will block it.

it’s the same thing thst saw player X traded to a different team, get bought out, thrn sign with original team. This happened and the league say this will not happen again.

The answer is we don’t know. The CBA rules don’t say such a deal would be a illegal. Nor has any team attempted to do such a deal in the past and been officially blocked by the NHL.

If a team tries to do this in the future then the NHL could block the Trade and the team/player could subsequently appeal. If and when that happens we’ll know finally know the official answer.

Reactions: AslanRH and CDN24

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
you can’t do a sign a UFS, retain, then trade. It’s cap circumvention. The league will block it.

it’s the same thing thst saw player X traded to a different team, get bought out, thrn sign with original team. This happened and the league say this will not happen again.

Those are two completely different scenarios. It's not the same thing. Nobody has done this yet.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Those are two completely different scenarios. It's not the same thing. Nobody has done this yet.
It really isn’t.

another example it trading a player to a team and they trade them back with retention.

they are using another team to help them out of their poor cap planning.

it’s anticompetitive trading.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Spell check?

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
flipped at the deadline sure. traded immediately would kill your reputation. no free agent will sign for the foreseeable future without trade protection.
I would assume the team would need to compensate the player for agreeing to such a deal. What if you paid above market value? Like if you paid Patrick Kane 10 million, which I don’t think he’s worth anymore, but flip him at 5?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
It really isn’t.

another example it trading a player to a team and they trade them back with retention.

they are using another team to help them out of their poor cap planning.

it’s anticompetitive trading.

You're just describing Minnesota retaining money on Orlov and O'Reilly at last year's deadline. Yet more unblocked moves of this intention.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You're just describing Minnesota retaining money on Orlov and O'Reilly at last year's deadline. Yet more unblocked moves of this intention.
Pass through retention is allowed

im talking of say Matthews was a UFA, Toronto asks team X to sign him for his current contract length/cap and retain $4M+ each year for a 2nd.

Washington traded Oprik iirc to Colorado then they bought him out and he resigned in Washington is not allowed.

pittsburg tried to trade for a player they retained on in the off-season and couldn’t. Trade voided by league.

Similarly if Pittsburgh traded him to team X after last years deadline and tried to reaquire him with retention by next years is deadline isn’t allowed.

it’s the same reason why offer sheets carry a one calendar year NMC

it’s all cap circumvention.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
except there is a specific rule regarding this, so not really the same.
Mouser's post addresses the initial scenario
Except it involves cap circumvention/ anticompetitive action.

the league likely sent an internal memo to all teams voiding any trades attempting the thing I mentioned becsusr it violates thr spirit of the law.

in an offer sheet around some player like Laf on a team with a $10M cap hit a team could Put in some conditions that adjust salary which forces a bonus tho matching team would certainly be paying but new team would not.

this happened 30 years ago with escalator clauses in the nfl that were latter blocked in future CBAs

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

the league likely sent an internal memo to all teams voiding any trades attempting the thing I mentioned becsusr it violates thr spirit of the law.
I don't necessarily disagree, but the correct answer is that it is unknown as it hasn't been tested yet.
It wouldn't surprise me a bit though if someone explores it on a player like Patrick Kane due to the bind the flat cap years have put on contenders.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

The one year TDL thing is a common one and it doesn't seem like there's an issue with it.

I think it depends on the scenario going forward. This year was one of the first where we saw sign and voids (Galchenyuk) as well as sign and trade (Tkachuk). As more examples of these show up, I wonder if more teams may find the circumstances to make such a transaction possible.

I think signing a UFA and then trading them rapidly could occur, but I don't think you could get away with it if your intention was to trade immediately and not try to leverage their contract status at the TDL. However, I guess this could be possible if a player suddenly had family they wanted to be around (illness) and it was either retain and trade to a specific location vs the player go on an extended leave of absence. Maybe something like that? (ie: Heart attack of a family member a few weeks after signing as UFA?) But I assume teams would try and ask the league if it's allowed prior to doing it vs just doing it and asking for forgiveness.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Conor garland signed in Vancouver thinking he can get the contract he wanted but wanted out as soon as he signed paper to pen.

Toronto signed some cat I forget his name and they got 2nd round picks for him in back to back deadlines

Daniel Winnik

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I would be surprised if Arizona signed Dumba and Zucker to hold onto them for the entire season.
I disagree. However the Coyotes have been known to sign free agents for only 1 year and trade them at the dead line. I disagree because the AZ Coyotes are competing this season and may be on the bubble by the dead line.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Reactions: banks

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Most of the time when teams that miss the playoffs sign a decent UFA for a 1 year contract, trading the player at trade deadline is at least on the table.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The examples people are using are guys who were signed with the intention of them playing 3/4 of the season and being traded at the deadline - to maximise the return for the trade and minimise cap hit for the acquiring team. This is fairly common.

As far as a player being signed for the purpose of being traded immediately with retention, even though this isn’t expressly forbidden by the CBA, I’d say that is something the league would consider cap circumvention.

Well for starters you cant trade guys like that until December.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad