Has a skater ever worn #1?

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Sounds very Dostoevskian. Played for Torpedo Gorky (what a handle huh?) from 58-72. League MVP in 70. Had an arena named after him. Funny, I dont remember him at all, nor do I actually ever re-call having watched the Soviet National Team play at all in the 60's. Strange.

Konovalenko was not well known in North America but quite famous in Europe. I wasn't around then but you might remember that the Canadian National Team starting in 1964 was composed entirely of university students and 'amateurs' in order to satisfy the IIHF's requirements that only amateurs participated in their tournaments. Canada used to send the defending Allan Cup champions to the World Championships and Olympics, but the IIHF deemed many of the players 'professionals'. Some had some experience in the minor leagues and a few even played in the NHL at one point, and that was enough to make them ineligible.

We had to send a bunch kids while everyone else got to send their very best. It's not surprising that Canadian (and by extension US) interest in international hockey dropped to rock-bottom by 1970, when Canada finally said "**** it, we're not playing anymore."

Torspo21

mailataikuri
Dec 15, 2009
Oijärvi
torspo21.blogspot.com
Theo Fleury wore #1 in one game while he was playing in Finland during lockout. The jersey did usually belong to Jari Halme, backup goalie of the team.

I remember Tappara forgotted to bring Fleury´s #95,7 jersey with them (to Pori) so he had to play with Halme´s #1 jersey, which was a way too big for him. Anyways, to answer the question, I played one season with number 1, even though I was forward. That in Tappara´s junior team long long time ago...

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
I remember that Thomas Sjögren was using #1, when playing for AIK in the SEL in 01-02 season. What made it even more weird was that the number was retired by the club (goalie legend Leif "Honken" Holmqvist's number).

tummen_upp_19882w.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad