Has 3 on 3 bumped up the stats of the top teams in the NHL?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I've always wondered this. Look at the league this year, the Rangers are I believe 5th in the league, if not worse and they're on pace towards 109 points about. Two seasons ago, albeit in a full season and not just "on pace" and in a down year for the Presidents' Trophy team, the Rangers won the PT with 113 points. Last season, I believe the Caps had over 120 points. I have to think that 3 on 3 OT, as much of a gimmick as it is, is still X% more correlated with how good a team is than the shootout which is a complete crap shoot. So since more games are now ending before the shootout in the 3 on 3, is that however slightly bumps up the point totals of the best teams in the league? Not saying whether it's good or bad, just wondering if that's the case. Or is there no such effect?

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The Caps have had 13 games that went to OT this year.

They won 5 of those in OT. The rest they either lost in OT or went to a SO.

So i wouldn't say it matters that much. Maybe teams with elite players to put out there on 3 on 3 benefit from it, but ever so slightly.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I don't think so. I think there's just a handful of really really good teams right now. Washington, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, and Columbus all on pace for 114+ points. Most years that's good enough to win a president's trophy.

pezpunk

May 3, 2013
I've always wondered this. Look at the league this year, the Rangers are I believe 5th in the league, if not worse and they're on pace towards 109 points about. Two seasons ago, albeit in a full season and not just "on pace" and in a down year for the Presidents' Trophy team, the Rangers won the PT with 113 points. Last season, I believe the Caps had over 120 points. I have to think that 3 on 3 OT, as much of a gimmick as it is, is still X% more correlated with how good a team is than the shootout which is a complete crap shoot. So since more games are now ending before the shootout in the 3 on 3, is that however slightly bumps up the point totals of the best teams in the league? Not saying whether it's good or bad, just wondering if that's the case. Or is there no such effect?

A quick glance at the Caps overtime stats could have answered this question for you. It's a non-factor.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
A quick glance at the Caps overtime stats could have answered this question for you. It's a non-factor.

I don't know where to find that. I don't believe NHL.com shows overtime records, just shootout. I'm sure I could have found it, but I can ask on HF, also. No reason for the sass.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't know where to find that. I don't believe NHL.com shows overtime records, just shootout. I'm sure I could have found it, but I can ask on HF, also. No reason for the sass.

The Kings are the ones who have benefited from OT this year it would seem.
They're currently 10-1 in 13 3on3 games with 2 games (1-1) going to shootout.
Chicago and Columbus are next best in terms of wins, but they lose a fair bit as well (8-4 and 7-4 respectively).

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/...y-type-regulation-overtime-and-shootout/2016/

That link is where, for future reference.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Teams ranked by winning percentage in games ending in 3 on 3.

New York Rangers
Los Angeles Kings
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Washington Capitals
Chicago Blackhawks
Philadelphia Flyers
Columbus Blue Jackets
St. Louis Blues
Carolina Hurricanes
San Jose Sharks
Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver Canucks
Florida Panthers
Buffalo Sabres
Pittsburgh Penguins
Winnipeg Jets
Montreal Canadiens
Toronto Maple Leafs
Minnesota Wild
Boston Bruins
Arizona Coyotes
New Jersey Devils
Ottawa Senators
New York Islanders
Detroit Red Wings
Anaheim Ducks
Tampa Bay Lightning
Dallas Stars
Nashville Predators

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/...y-type-regulation-overtime-and-shootout/2016/

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Teams ranked by 3 on 3 points gained

10 Los Angeles Kings
8 Chicago Blackhawks
7 Columbus Blue Jackets
6 Washington Capitals
6 St. Louis Blues
6 Philadelphia Flyers
6 Florida Panthers
6 Buffalo Sabres
5 Pittsburgh Penguins
5 San Jose Sharks
5 Montreal Canadiens
5 Edmonton Oilers
5 Calgary Flames
5 Vancouver Canucks
5 New Jersey Devils
5 Colorado Avalanche
4 Toronto Maple Leafs
4 Carolina Hurricanes
4 Arizona Coyotes
3 Minnesota Wild
3 New York Rangers
3 Ottawa Senators
3 Boston Bruins
3 New York Islanders
3 Winnipeg Jets
3 Detroit Red Wings
2 Anaheim Ducks
2 Dallas Stars
1 Nashville Predators
1 Tampa Bay Lightning

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Generally speaking more wins in 3 on 3 is a going to make a difference (more wins), but that's a pretty mixed bag none the less.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
No, I don't think you can really come to that conclusion. Is it causation or correlation? I'm inclined to believe the latter.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Capitals would actually be much better off with SO rather than 3-on-3 OT because they have Oshie and Kuznetsov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad