Confirmed with Link: Hartley Re-signed to Multi-Year Extension

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I heard Treliving and Hartley just on the radio, I'm so happy for Bob, he's such a character guy.

-Treliving enforced that he wants this to cement to the players that Bob and his message will be around for a long time.

-He said they have a really good working relationship.

-Treliving doesn't interfere with Hartley's coaching and decisions, although they have open discussion and debate every day and he's always there to offer support.

Brad's criteria for a coach are 3 fold: he wants a hard and well prepared working team, he wants a team that has a clear identity and is well structured, he wants a coach that can push players yet still walk that fine line and focus on positives; Hartley checks all boxes.

Treliving is impressed with all our coaching staff as a hole but a decision on everyone's future hasn't been made yet.

To add to this here's my bullet points from the interviews

Treliving:

-It was re-sign Hartley, or light himself on fire and run downtown to distract fans from the losing streak
-Gives Jay Feaster a lot of credit for bringing Bob in.
-Very deserving of the extension. Timing with the losing streak is a coincidence.
-Hartley checks all the boxes in what Treliving thinks a coach needs to be
-Believes the relationship between coach and GM needs to be strong. Feels that theirs is
-Believes continuity of coaching a very important. Teams need a consistent message.
-Wanted to make sure that it was clear who the coach is going to be moving forward. Thinks the players need to see that this is the guy
-Loves Bob's energy. Head Coach is a very hard job, long hours, Hartley always full of energy
-He's changed the mentality here. Lots of work behind the scenes that Hartley's done
-They talk numerous times a day
-Still just a "multi-year" deal. Won't talk about exact numbers yet

-No decision on Clouotier or Gelinas, or the rest of the coaching staff. Will worry about that later. But believes they've done terrific as well

-Talking more on the value of continuity especially in coaching. Obviously if they don't get the job done, that's it, but says there's a better chance of having success with one coach that having lots of starts and stops

Hartley:

-Feels great. Y'know like, we have a chance to keep growing as an organization. That's what matters most.

-Team hit a skid. He's disappointed. Young guys learning to lose part of a rebuild. Will work through it
-The guys are hurt right now. Too much pride
-Missing solid 60 minute effort

Steinberg steers convo back to the extension

-Also believes in continuity.
-Felt like he had support from both Burke and Treliving right away. Felt like he connected with the new GM immediately and felt like he knew him for 10 years. Both dream about being a part of the next red mile
-It's clear where we want to go. Feels there's that commitment from everyone in the organization all the way up to King and the owners
-Not just a hockey team, loves being a part of this community

-Was never worried about going through the year with no extension. Both Treliving and Bob wanted to work together for a while and just worry about doing the job before moving onto this. Has loved every second of working with Treliving

*Tunein app crashed, not sure what I missed. Sorry guys

-Talking about working with 3 different gm's since being here. All 3 unbelievable human beings who have made his job easy

-The day Hartley comes to the rink with any intention other than winning is the day he goes fishing instead.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The last thing to add to Hartley's interview, he did hire an agent so Hartley could just focus on coaching. He told his agent to let him know when it was close.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I love Hartley, but he won't ever get a fair shot with him here. Hartley is obviously more important to the Flames organization though so Sven should be traded for a similar RW or D prospect. It's best for him and the Flames imo.

Pretty much. It's not really that big of a deal; not every prospect or player is compatible with every coach or playing style. Baertschi's situation here doesn't mean he's a bust or that Hartley's a bad coach, just that they're a poor fit.

And give Hartley's emphasis on mobility, the same can likely be said for Bollig, Engelland and Smid.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
7-8 minutes a night is not a fair shot.

The problem isnt Sven getting his shot, its him not taking advantage. When he came in the first time, he was the only prospect of note, the Golden Child. He came in, played how he wanted and had a little success. Fast forward a couple seasosns and he finds that he's no longer the only prospect of quality. In fact, I'd say that Monahan, Gaudreau, Jooris, Granlund and Ferland have all passed Sven as prospects. Instead of a coronation, he has stiff competition just to make an impression. To make this team regularly, he almost has to be better than Glencross, Gaudreau, Raymond, Bollig, and anyone else who happens to be playing the left side. To date, he hasn't even out performed Bollig. That's saying something.

If he cant be one of the 4-5 best LW on this team, he rides the bus in Addy until he IS. Right now, it sounds like he's pouting, feeling sorry for himself. If he's going to do that, he can do it Addy. I don't know why he doesn't just suck it up, do everything that's asked of him on both teams and work his ass off. From what Ive seen, he's kinda working hard, but he's obviously got SO much more in the tank he's not using.

When he's proven he can perform along side Glencross and Raymond, he can be considered for the big club. This team owes him absolutely nothing. If he can't do whats asked of him on the fourth line, he's got no chance of seeing top 6 responsibilities.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Right now, it sounds like he's pouting, feeling sorry for himself.
Any evidence of this? Because it seems to me this is nothing but pure made up ********.

From everything I have seen he has gone down quietly and gone about his business like a professional. He's still wildly inconsistent but he's stayed quiet.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Baertschi's comments after being sent down last week:

But recently things have been starting to turn around for the third-year pro, who returned to the AHL on Wednesday. Baertschi is happy about the progress he's made and said the Calgary coaching staff is too.

"I've just got to continue to go the same way every day," he said. "Now it's up to me to start building more confidence, start putting up some points."

Baertschi is used to the up-and-down life of a prospect. He knows to just working on his game and not to worry about the things that he can't control, like being called up. After all, Baertschi pointed out, he's still playing hockey for a living.

Wow, what a pouting crybaby.

May 27, 2012
Earth
But you just said he was competing with Raymond!

gfGIszP.gif

blobloblaw

Nov 6, 2014
Earth
Great day for Hartley. He deserves it and has definitely put the work in to make them successful so far. I was always wondering what would happen since he was a good friend of Feaster and probably didn't expect such a drastic change of the players at once. We have to give credit to Treliving and Burke for being open minded and not automatically wanting to get their guy behind the bench.

I'm happy they extended him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Why do people think Sven needs to beat Raymond for a spot? As I understand it Raymond will mostly be a RW for us. Baertschi can't play RW. Maybe I'm missing something.

Hartley doesn't like Raymond at right wing. When he was talking about it, he said "he's a good left winger for us (grin)."

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With Glencross becoming a free agent next year, that is Baertschi's opportunity to make the club full-time. He needs to seize that opportunity.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
With Glencross becoming a free agent next year, that is Baertschi's opportunity to make the club full-time. He needs to seize that opportunity.

The only thing I'll say to that is Glencross plays a different role on the team than Sven would. I think Ferland is more of a guy who would take Glencross' spot on the team, and I think he will also be on the team full time next year. Raymond is that top 6/9 skill player, so that's why I think Sven needs to take his spot from him.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Wouldn't it be something, in a couple years, to have down the left side;

Gaudreau
Baertchi
Klimchuk
Ferland

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

My thoughts exactly. I think depending on how well Sven plays in Addy, determines whether or not we extend Glencross.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad