Recalled/Assigned: Hartikainen sent down

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Still not ready to give up on him yet. Just needs to up his physical game at the NHL level, he's shown some decent offence as well.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Still not ready to give up on him yet. Just needs to up his physical game at the NHL level, he's shown some decent offence as well.

well, he'll have to prove he's decided to play the game the way he needs to play in OKC. he can kiss starting next year in Edmonton goodbye.

dixs35

Jan 26, 2010
E-town
He will be traded at the draft. Always liked him and still do, but have to figure he will be used in a package to land an actual NHL player.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Hartikainen-Barkov-Yakupov with Barkov being the translater for his linemates.

plenty of size and skill on t..

/dream..

bye bye Jean Francois Hartikainen

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
lol @ everyone writing him off, relax. I'm glad he got sent down, OKC playoff experience is a good thing.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
lol @ everyone writing him off, relax. I'm glad he got sent down, OKC playoff experience is a good thing.

No doubt. So many fickle fans that write players off then when they perform well elsewhere its like why didn't he do that here... Maybe because he is a kid and needs time to develop; oh wait, we don't do that.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
I'm sorry are we expecting Hartikainen to be an offensive producer here? I thought he was groomed to be a checker.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's pretty awful defensively and in the neutral zone, so whether he was supposed to be a scorer or a checker, he failed on both accounts and deserved to be sent down.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Too many people expected this kid to eventually play on the 2nd line, some even thought he could play on the 1st line.

He's just not that kind of player and probably never will be. I see a 4th line player, 3rd line if we're lucky.

Hopefully he has a strong playoff run, helps earn the Barons a championship and comes back a little better next year.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
To be a checker you have to want to check. I don't think he's interested in doing what it takes to stay on the team. He had one good game two years ago and everyone got excited. Lots of guys have one good game or stretch but never become full time NHLers. This callup was his last chance to do something and he failed miserably.

I just don't think his body or mind are fast enough to be in the nhl and he doesn't work hard enough. Always a half step behind what's going on.

I think he's done. I don't even think he gets offered a contract. Definitely not a MacT kind of guy. I think a lot of marginal prospects and tweeners are getting flushed out once the year's over.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think he's done. I don't even think he gets offered a contract. Definitely not a MacT kind of guy. I think a lot of marginal prospects and tweeners are getting flushed out once the year's over.

:laugh:

Wow.

Would you like to make a friendly wager?

dobiezeke*

To be a checker you have to want to check. I don't think he's interested in doing what it takes to stay on the team. He had one good game two years ago and everyone got excited. Lots of guys have one good game or stretch but never become full time NHLers. This callup was his last chance to do something and he failed miserably.

I just don't think his body or mind are fast enough to be in the nhl and he doesn't work hard enough. Always a half step behind what's going on.

Harti is "Jones' lite"...without the ability to score. Not worth crying over when he is gone. He was given his chance and showed what his worth was.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No doubt. So many fickle fans that write players off then when they perform well elsewhere its like why didn't he do that here... Maybe because he is a kid and needs time to develop; oh wait, we don't do that.

Who was the last prospect the Oilers gave up on that succeeded elsewhere?

Guys like Stoll, Cogliano, Greene etc were established NHLers with multiple seasons under their belts.

Hartikainen has shown he is cut out for the NHL in about 3 games this season. Not nearly enough considering the amount of time he has had in NA and the AHL.

He lacks the compete level that is required for a player of his talent level to have success in the NHL. It just isn't there.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
1 year, 1 way QO. That's it.

We will be losing Jones, Smithson and Petrell to free agency and should buy out Smyth and Eager. Belanger can actually stay as the 14 forward IMO.

Horcoff and Brown on the 4th line next season.

Seriously, they will be forced to keep Horcoff. It's inevitable.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Gagner-stop-gap C- Yakupov
Paajarvi-UFA-UFA
UFA-Horcoff-Brown
Hartikainen-Belanger

Whatever. Hemsky dealt, hopefully for a good third liner or no.6 d-man. Smyth and Eager bought out.

This UFA season will be key. They can add 4 players, including 3 top-9 forwards.

A third line spot could be there for Monahan or Barkov.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Lander and Paajarvi actually know how to play defense and create chances offensively. They have immeasurably better hockey IQ than Hartikainen does. Lander was great as our 4C last year and I think he's our 3C of the future maybe as early as next year. Hartikainen is useless above the AHL level. If he doesnt want to play in the AHL then he can go home. A lot of people forget that he was a longshot prospect to begin with and the Oilers thought they might have a diamond in the rough. But he hasn't progressed at all in three seasons over here.

I'm always amazed at the seperation anxiety fans here have with marginal players. People had better prepare themselves for letting a lot of guys walk after this year. The cupboard's not as full of potential NHLers as the Oilers thought.

This is what happens when a team sucks so long. Fans of good teams don't get all wound up about potential 4th liners and marginal prospects. Fans think they may be getting rid of a way out of the suck but Hartikainen isn't a way out.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Harski had one shift against Chicago where he made a couple of good hits, he is very capable, but he is sooooo inconsistent with the physical game. I think that we've seen the last of him in Edmonton TBH.

MetaOil1993

Jun 22, 2012
Edmonton

Agreed. Hopefully he comes to training camp with a lot of confidence and rebounds. If he can play the way he can in OKC then he is a valuable player on the team. He has been very underwhelming this year though.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Its funny.

MP, Lander, and Harti all look really good for short stints in the NHL but none of them at the same time. Its like they take turns.

MP took a decent step forward this year. He needs to continue to get better to truely be an NHL regular but I like where his game is slowly but surely going.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
We keep giving him chances to be the hard hitting spark plug he needs to be and he disappoints consistently.

Remember Kyle Brodziak. He kept dissapointing in his ability to make the jump then just when people really started to write him off he had an excellent training camp and carved out a nice role on the 4th line (and should have been part of the future here).

Hartikainen is still a young player (22 this season), he's just finished his ELC now and this is the norm for most players not taken in the 1st round. He's a big body that can hit and he's certainly shown some nice puck skills and touch around the net in the AHL and SM-liiga. He's had trouble asserting himself at times in the NHL but lets not forget the team he's trying to assert himself on. People act like terrible teams should be easier to become an effective NHLer on due to opportunity but that's not neccessairly true as it's harder to establish yourself as an effective player when you play on an ineffective team with presumably ineffective teammates. Let's not forget he's shown some flashes of solid ability, he looks like a guy who can win board battles and pin the other team in the own zone in the very least, and like i said was only 22 this season. This team is littered with kids up front it's arguably not very prudent for the Oilers to have roster spots assured to 6-7 guys on ELC's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad