Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Maine Mariners Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
SO hypothetically Whats the AhL roster?
So hard to project. Here is your pool of players, with others likely to be added (AHL means they're on an AHL deal):

Defensemen:
Bitetto
Crawley
Geertsen (AHL)
Giuttari (AHL)
Hajek
LoVerde (AHL)
Miller
Reunanen

Forwards:
Barron
Blackwell
Brodzinski
Elmer
Fontaine
Gettinger
Greco
Khodorenko
McBride (AHL)
Newell
O'Leary (AHL)
Thompson (AHL)
Richards
Ronning
Rooney
Rueschhoff
Whelan (AHL)

Goalies:
Huska
Kinkaid
Wall

From Bitetto, Hajek, Miller, and Reunanen, at least one and probably two are on the NHL team in some capacity.

From the forwards, I think Rooney might stick in the NHL and Barron could make it right out of camp.

So purely hypothetically, you could have something like...

Greco-Brodzinski-Thompson
Gettinger-Blackwell-Khodorenko
Newell-Richards-McBride
Fontaine-Rueschhoff-Elmer

Ex: O'Leary, Ronning, Whelan

Miller-LoVerde
Reunanen-Geertsen
Crawley-Guittari

Kinkaid
Wall

That defense is terrifying with two promising rookies and a bunch of trash. LoVerde is okay, but Geertsen is pretty bad, Crawley is a tweener (AHL/ECHL), and who knows what Giuttari is. This is with Hajek in the NHL and also Bitetto hanging on as a spare. They clearly will have to add some more depth in this area.

The forwards are literally impossible to project. I mean you have Brodzinski, Blackwell, Khodorenko, Richards, Fontaine, and Rueschhoff who can all play center. And in the AHL they always move guys all around anyway. I assume if the waive Kinkaid and send him to Hartford, Huska will then go to Maine to get the majority of the starts.

So, while my lineup is probably way off, I think it gives and idea of what they could have. They could/should be strong up front, particularly if Khodorenko and Richards are ready to contribute. And of course you just don't know with guys like Barron, Rooney, even Gauthier, or possibly even Kravtsov. The defense would be a lot better if only one of the guys I listed was in the NHL--like if Bitetto was in the AHL that's a huge help.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
@nyr2k2 I think the team qualified Darren Raddysh, so I'd add him in on one of the pairings.

Overall though, that's a pretty rough looking roster for HFD. Maybe they'll be a team where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts if Knoblauch gets them all to buy into his structure. Kinkaid should be a pretty solid AHL goalie too.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
@nyr2k2 I think the team qualified Darren Raddysh, so I'd add him in on one of the pairings.

Overall though, that's a pretty rough looking roster for HFD. Maybe they'll be a team where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts if Knoblauch gets them all to buy into his structure. Kinkaid should be a pretty solid AHL goalie too.
You're 100% right about Raddysh. You can pencil him in as the 1RD and then the defense doesn't look quite as bad.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
So hard to project. Here is your pool of players, with others likely to be added (AHL means they're on an AHL deal):

Defensemen:
Bitetto
Crawley
Geertsen (AHL)
Giuttari (AHL)
Hajek
LoVerde (AHL)
Miller
Reunanen

Forwards:
Barron
Blackwell
Brodzinski
Elmer
Fontaine
Gettinger
Greco
Khodorenko
McBride (AHL)
Newell
O'Leary (AHL)
Thompson (AHL)
Richards
Ronning
Rooney
Rueschhoff
Whelan (AHL)

Goalies:
Huska
Kinkaid
Wall

From Bitetto, Hajek, Miller, and Reunanen, at least one and probably two are on the NHL team in some capacity.

From the forwards, I think Rooney might stick in the NHL and Barron could make it right out of camp.

Newell-Richards-McBride

Miller-LoVerde
Reunanen-Geertsen
Crawley-Guittari

Kinkaid
Wall

That defense is terrifying with two promising rookies and a bunch of trash. LoVerde is okay, but Geertsen is pretty bad, Crawley is a tweener (AHL/ECHL), and who knows what Giuttari is. This is with Hajek in the NHL and also Bitetto hanging on as a spare. They clearly will have to add some more depth in this area.

The forwards are literally impossible to project. I mean you have Brodzinski, Blackwell, Khodorenko, Richards, Fontaine, and Rueschhoff who can all play center. And in the AHL they always move guys all around anyway. I assume if the waive Kinkaid and send him to Hartford, Huska will then go to Maine to get the majority of the starts.

So, while my lineup is probably way off, I think it gives and idea of what they could have. They could/should be strong up front, particularly if Khodorenko and Richards are ready to contribute. And of course you just don't know with guys like Barron, Rooney, even Gauthier, or possibly even Kravtsov. The defense would be a lot better if only one of the guys I listed was in the NHL--like if Bitetto was in the AHL that's a huge help.

Bitetto has not played in the AHL regulary since 2014-2015 season, you think he would sign with Rangers to play in the AHL. if he really stinks, then he will get sent down. but to start the year, he will be on the NHL roster.
Anthony Bitetto Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Reactions: egelband

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Think you might want to add two more defensemen if there aren't any prospects coming over. If there's a way to get another pick by taking a high priced AHL or one-way deal, I'd explore that option.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Bitetto has not played in the AHL regulary since 2014-2015 season, you think he would sign with Rangers to play in the AHL. if he really stinks, then he will get sent down. but to start the year, he will be on the NHL roster.
Anthony Bitetto Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
That's why I didn't include him in my lineup. I expect him to stick in the NHL as the spare. Similar as to why I think Rooney hangs on as the spare.

He did sign a two-way contract, though. So I guess the Rangers at least consider it a possibility he's in the AHL for some of the year.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Every year the day after Free Agency: Hartford got a lot of good vets they're going to be lit this season.

Every year 8 weeks into the season: It's a tire fire down there! It's stunting prospect growth!

I kid, I kid. Knoblach did a nice job last season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Every year the day after Free Agency: Hartford got a lot of good vets they're going to be lit this season.

Every year 8 weeks into the season: It's a tire fire down there! It's stunting prospect growth!

I kid, I kid. Knoblach did a nice job last season.
Last year was tough. They started off well even they they really needed one more 4A guy on offense, which I kept saying. Then Kravtsov quit, Lias quit, Shesterkin was recalled, and PDG was recalled. Then Keane is traded for a guy who then plays exclusively for the Rangers. That was way too much for them to overcome, particularly because Huska kinda fell apart.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Last year was tough. They started off well even they they really needed one more 4A guy on offense, which I kept saying. Then Kravtsov quit, Lias quit, Shesterkin was recalled, and PDG was recalled. Then Keane is traded for a guy who then plays exclusively for the Rangers. That was way too much for them to overcome, particularly because Huska kinda fell apart.

Hopefully this year Pack get greater contributions from the ELC forwards than they got last season...

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hopefully this year Pack get greater contributions from the ELC forwards than they got last season...
Yeah last season Newell was a decent player but only had 13 points, Elmer barely played and did nothing when he did, Ronning did nothing, Meskanen was bad before they terminated, same for Day, Hajek was ok, Andersson had literally one good game before he gave up, and Kravtsov struggled. Gettinger was decent and Keane was obviously a bright spot. Fontaine got hurt and so did Rykov, who then struggled (despite his numbers) once he came back. Even Huska struggled once Shesterkin left. All in all the ELC group was a big disappointment.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Really curious how the Huska/Wall/Kinkaid triad will work this year especially if Maine is shutdown due to the pandemic. It's an important development year for the two yutes. Either Huska is going to improve and force Georgiev out the door, or Wall will surpass him at minimum the Hartford starter.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Really curious how the Huska/Wall/Kinkaid triad will work this year especially if Maine is shutdown due to the pandemic. It's an important development year for the two yutes. Either Huska is going to improve and force Georgiev out the door, or Wall will surpass him at minimum the Hartford starter.

possible that in that scenario that they just leave huska on loan for the season?

Reactions: nyr2k2

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Defensemen:
Bitetto
Crawley
Geertsen (AHL)
Giuttari (AHL)
Hajek
LoVerde (AHL)
Miller
Reunanen

Forwards:
Barron
Blackwell
Brodzinski
Elmer
Fontaine
Gettinger
Greco
Khodorenko
McBride (AHL)
Newell
O'Leary (AHL)
Thompson (AHL)
Richards
Ronning
Rooney
Rueschhoff
Whelan (AHL)

Goalies:
Huska
Kinkaid
Wall

Newell-Richards-McBride

Miller-LoVerde
Reunanen-Geertsen
Crawley-Guittari

Kinkaid
Wall

Great work, saved me a bunch of unproductive name jotting time

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

So for those that don't read the article, only about a dozen teams are starting on that date. The rest--including Maine--will start January 15 and play 62 games (the others play 72). This makes a lot of sense given that the NHL said they are planning for a start around January 1.

Atlanta will not play and all their players became free agents.

I expect the AHL will start around the same time in January and play a similar slate--60 or so games. The AHL is too important for the NHL's regular operations to not have a season. Even a big taxi squad or whatever, it's not the same. Too many guys would really be losing a full year of development.

Reactions: egelband

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Thompson is a very good AHL player. He's a good addition.

It wasn't posted, AFAIK. I did include him in my "mock line-up" earlier.

I don't get something with certain players. certain players can have good stats in the AHL and never make it and yet some players don't have the best stats but are at least NHL regulars. shocked he never made the NHL as a NHL regular

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Thompson is a very good AHL player. He's a good addition.

It wasn't posted, AFAIK. I did include him in my "mock line-up" earlier.

Saw him a ton in Springfield, he hits the body and can provide depth in their lineup. I really like the pickup.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't get something with certain players. certain players can have good stats in the AHL and never make it and yet some players don't have the best stats but are at least NHL regulars. shocked he never made the NHL as a NHL regular
Some guys have skill sets that translate well to the NHL, others don't. You can take someone like Vinni Lettieri--he's a volume shooter and a good skater. He's on offensive-minded guy. He was a great AHL player because he had the time to find the space to use his good shot to pile up the points. In the NHL, though, the game speeds up. He couldn't find the time and space to be an effective scorer; and since he wasn't scoring, and he wasn't a guy who was going to contribute on your PK, or push anyone off the PP, he was stuck on the fourth line which made it even more difficult to excel. He may move somewhere else and earn a bigger role and show some production, but it's also possible that the speed of the NHL game was just too much of an adjustment for him to overcome.

The speed of the game is the biggest thing that separates successful junior/NCAA/European prospects from successful North American pros and successful North American pros from being bona fide NHL players. Ryan Gropp, Michael St. Croix, Sergei Zborovskiy, Evgeny Grachev, Tomas Zaborsky, etc. Those were all guys who, at least partly, failed because when they were amateur prospects, the game moved at a slow enough pace where they could process it at a high-level (respective to their peers). Gropp could find seams and open spots to shoot, Grachev could blow by his peers or just ragdoll them, Zaborsky could dangle around, and so forth. But when they turned pro they didn't have the time to do these things since the game was so much faster, which neutralizes some of their best skills. Not just talking about how quickly they can move around on the ice, but how quickly they process the game.

And then the NHL, it's just like an entirely different experience. If the AHL is the perfect speed for you to be successful, then the NHL is probably going to be too fast. And so you have to do other things well to be able to stick. There really aren't very many players who actually do better in the NHL than the AHL if you exclude guys who were really young in the AHL and the finished their development in the NHL. But for those guys that do, they're all capable of managing the speed of the game in the NHL and it's really just a matter of learning the nuances of the their positions and gaining experience. Some guys, like Boo Nieves (I know, your favorite), will keep getting looks because they're big, fast, not a total liability defensive and show flashes of offensive competence. Even though he wasn't that productive in the AHL he has enough things NHL teams look for (also C/W versatility) that he'll keep getting looks. Steven Fogarty may get more looks as well. He's big, strong, and defensively responsible. Lots of guys like him, though. He offers nothing offensively. If he could think the game a fraction of a second faster he could be a 15-20 point guy and a staple on an NHL bottom line. Kevin Rooney who we just signed is another guy. He's a better Fogarty. Strong, excels defensively, he's by all accounts an excellent leader and character guy, but can chip in just enough offensively to stick. Never even a .5 PPG guy in the AHL.

Some guys' games are just built to be able to play in the NHL even if they don't have great offensive ability. Other guys have offensive ability that is predicated on finding success in slower, more deliberate environments and can't hang when they're in the NHL. For me, it's all about the speed of the game, and can guys adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad