Hartford’s defense-first style plays to Graves’ strengths

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
ryan_graves_ny_rangers_092215_1.jpg
Photo: Hartford Wolf Pack defenseman and New York Rangers prospect Ryan Graves, shown here in 2015 preseason action with the Rangers, competed at the 2015 Memorial Cup Tournament with the Quebec Remparts before turning pro (courtesy of Gavin Baker/Icon Sportswire)

</p>As April approaches and the final three weekends of the 2015-16 regular season play out, the Hartford Wolf Pack find themselves just two points out of the final playoff spot in the AHL’s Eastern Conference. Despite going 22-12-1-0 since the beginning of the 2016 calendar year, however, the New York Rangers’ AHL affiliate still find themselves one win away from being in a playoff position.… read more

The post Hartford’s defense-first style plays to Graves’ strengths appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I can't believe we got this kid in the 4th round. Might actually be a mainstay in our defense especially of Skjei can stay on the right. I guess it's going to depend on which of Staal/Girardi are shipped out--there's simply no room for both of them with all of McIlrath, Skjei, and soon Graves all pushing for spots.

Maybe I am optimistic, but this kid seems like a keeper

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
With McIlrath not really solidifying a regular spot this year the Rangers are very unlikely to break both Skjei and Graves in on their blue line next year. To go further I think it's just as unlikely that AV and his coaching staff try to work either Skjei or Graves full time into the lineup on their off side. If either are the 7D next year they might get spotted in here and there on the right side as injuries happens but other than that I'm thinking they'll try their best to keep left shot D on the left side and right shot D on the right.

Skjei because of his skating skills and being defense first and getting a few NHL games this year would seem to me to have the edge over Graves next year. I expect Ryan will spend the bulk of next year in Hartford unless the Rangers D get hit hard with injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad