Harold Druken

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Why did he get drunk

He unfortunately - allegedly - struggled with alcoholism. I remember a story in the paper a number of years back where his hometown had a sign saying the "home of Harold Druken", and someone vandalized it to say "Drunken".

As far as I am aware, he beat that particular demon and has been healthy, and has participated with the Canucks Alumni on occasion - which is excellent news to hear. Alcoholism is no joke.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Harold Druken had serious potential. Very much had the skill to be a top6 scorer at the NHL level.

He was a bit thin needed to get stronger and become consistently committed to competing and making good decisions 200ft. Actually a similar prospect to Jared McCann a little less fast and defensively needed more work but he was that talented

Instead he drank his way into the AHL and into retirement by 25/26. I heard many a story then about him

Kinda sad but not the first not the last. So many young players 18-22 think they can get by without putting in huge amounts of off ice training and commitment. It never goes well when you got serious flaws

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
He unfortunately - allegedly - struggled with alcoholism. I remember a story in the paper a number of years back where his hometown had a sign saying the "home of Harold Druken", and someone vandalized it to say "Drunken".

As far as I am aware, he beat that particular demon and has been healthy, and has participated with the Canucks Alumni on occasion - which is excellent news to hear. Alcoholism is no joke.

He's on LinkedIn! https://www.linkedin.com/in/harold-druken-209a20138/?originalSubdomain=ca

Seems to be doing fine :)

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Salo never had the skating or dynamic skills to put himself into a Norris conversation but he was excellent and in many cases underrated. His slapper was a absolute bomb

Funny story about Salo. The Wilds Brian Rolston scored a shoot out slapper goal against the Canucks and after in practise Alain Vigneault asked Sami Salo if he could do that (Rolston like Salo had a cannon) Salo told AV i'm not reallly sure but i can try and practise it to see

AV apparently looked over saw Luongo in net taking shots and said hey Roberto i need you to take a rest. :laugh:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
He was really likeable and small is what I remember. Lucky to be in the league, however I swore he scored 4 goals in a game one time.
I'm pretty sure a 2nd round pick who had like a goal per game his last year in the OHL, and then put up 20G/45P in 47GP as a 20 year old rookie in the AHL didn't make it into NHL play out of luck.

Reactions: MS and LuckyDay

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
He exceeded expectations by making the team in the first place. NHL history is littered with guys who "have potential" but can't cut it, and he's no different in that regard than every other guy in Canucks history who was given a good shot for a year or two and then disappeared from the NHL completely. Always same old story with these talents: didn't have the work ethic, conditioning, skating, timing, etc. to play consistently at an NHL level, or was a one-trick pony who couldn't adjust their game to enough to keep an NHL job. Lather, rinse, repeat, with always more guys like this showing up during down cycles (ie, the Benning years.)

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

I think we can all agree that if we had the last name Druken, we'd have taken a few passes at the ol beverage.
Like I don't really care for horses but if my last name was Gallop I'd give them a chance.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I do not know why, but the moment I saw Druken's name again I thought, that guy was from Newfoundland, right?

Yup. The name Harold Druken somehow screams Newfoundland.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
everyone give your thoughts on harold druken

Good player. Was a better AHL player than NHL player but there are a lot of players like that. I hope he has found happiness and joy in his post career. He falls into the category of prospect fans thought more of than they should have. He had that one really good year but never came close at the nhl level repeating it

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah, I thought he had a skate cut to the wrist or something.

I think you're mixing him up with Josh Holden.

Also it's amazing how badly folks would be absolutely losing their goddamn f***ing minds if they had a player in the system today putting up Druken's numbers up to the point where he got hurt and missed most of his D+5.

Reactions: supercanuck

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I think you're mixing him up with Josh Holden.

Also it's amazing how badly folks would be absolutely losing their goddamn f***ing minds if they had a player in the system today putting up Druken's numbers up to the point where he got hurt and missed most of his D+5.

Yes, I think you’re right. Mixed up with Holden.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00