Harold Druken

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Most known for this goal.

IIRC - he had decent offensive talent and put up some good goal totals, including 15 goals in 55 games in 2001. But his defensive game was atrocious. It was so bad that even Marc Crawford, not exactly the coach of the stingiest offenses in the world, felt he was pretty much unplayable.

But he was part of a decent crop of rookies we had going at one point. Sopel, Cooke, Chubarov, Allen, Druken, Schaefer.

NailsHoglander

Feb 20, 2024
He kinda had a funny looking face.

He looks like Zach Galifianakis now

IMG_5408-e1561053358106.jpg

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Most known for this goal.

IIRC - he had decent offensive talent and put up some good goal totals, including 15 goals in 55 games in 2001. But his defensive game was atrocious. It was so bad that even Marc Crawford, not exactly the coach of the stingiest offenses in the world, felt he was pretty much unplayable.

But he was part of a decent crop of rookies we had going at one point. Sopel, Cooke, Chubarov, Allen, Druken, Schaefer.

My dad and I thought that team was about to be great, largely because of Druken and Schaefer. But I was a teenager and my dad was an alcoholic so it's not surprising we were wrong.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Talented player who probably could have had a decent career as a 2nd line winger if he was more committed but he was a lousy defensive player, had conditioning issues, and rumours were that he played into all the stereotypes about newfies and booze. Ended up retiring from the sport at age 27.

But he had some great stretches and fun moments for 2 years between 1999-2001 and one very big goal, before that team kind of outgrew him as it became more of a contender. More responsible players like Chubarov/Letowski/Ruutu ended up taking his roster spot.

Had an injury in there as well (knee IIRC?) that didn’t help.

Reactions: Vector

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Talented player who probably could have had a decent career as a 2nd line winger if he was more committed but he was a lousy defensive player, had conditioning issues, and rumours were that he played into all the stereotypes about newfies and booze. Ended up retiring from the sport at age 27.

But he had some great stretches and fun moments for 2 years between 1999-2001 and one very big goal, before that team kind of outgrew him as it became more of a contender. More responsible players like Chubarov/Letowski/Ruutu ended up taking his roster spot.

Had an injury in there as well (knee IIRC?) that didn’t help.
I would add to this that Brian Burke at one point said Druken's agent had no other clients and was trying to hit a home run with him in contract negotiations. Druken drove wedges between himself and both management and the coaching staff, and Burke doesn't give a lot of chances to those players.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I would add to this that Brian Burke at one point said Druken's agent had no other clients and was trying to hit a home run with him in contract negotiations. Druken drove wedges between himself and both management and the coaching staff, and Burke doesn't give a lot of chances to those players.

Yup. Peter Schaefer did the same, actually played in Finland for a year holding out for a contract. Burke then managed to turn him into Sami Salo.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yup. Peter Schaefer did the same, actually played in Finland for a year holding out for a contract. Burke then managed to turn him into Sami Salo.

I can't remember Druken's case as well but Schaefer's case was 100% Brian Burke just using his leverage to try and bully someone into an unreasonable contract.

If memory serves he was trying to get him to sign for $275k CDN which was comical even then and absolutely ridiculous given comparables around the NHL.

In the case of both Schaefer and Umberger Burke's hubris cost us a good young player. Luckily he was able to salvage the situation with an excellent trade in Schaefer's case.

Reactions: Vector

lawrence

May 19, 2012
the young fan In me didn’t like the fact he was traded with hlavac for malik and Langdon. 2 second line players for a 4th line player and a dman. Didn’t understand it. Drunken was 23 ish etc.

Now I get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad