Hardest Slap Shot: Eric Gelinas or Stephane Richer?

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
What says the hive? Richer once broke Martin Brodeur's jock in half with a slapshot before a game and left serious bruising. Then factor in that Richer was using wooden sticks before composite stick technology really took hold.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Wasn't old enough to see Richer, but the guys with the hardest slap shots that I've seen play were Arnott, Rolston, Kovy, Sykora and I have to add Gelinas to the list as well

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Rolston, Souray, Gelinas.

Rolston's shot was unbelievable...I'm not sure the year, but I believe it was Nagano Japan, 98' Olympics maybe 1996 Lil'Hammer, they had winter Olympics 2 years a part when they separated the Summer and Winter -- but it was the last year amateurs played hockey, Rolston was on that team and I remember him BLOWING shots by goalies...Rolston had an incredible shot.

Souray in his younger days has no control of his shot and I remember him hurting people in practice but he may very well had the hardest shot of any Devil.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Souray in his younger days has no control of his shot and I remember him hurting people in practice but he may very well had the hardest shot of any Devil.

It has been clocked at 106.7 mph.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

GhostofKenKlee

I grew up for a minute in Flyers country and the Richer admirers society on the street hockey/rec hockey was huge. Now I was younger, but his slapshot was something else. Souray post Devils years hone his shot/craft. I'm going to go with Rolston/Foster and Gelinas in terms of Devils slapshots I've witnessed over the years.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Bret Hull or Al MAacinis leaue wide? But I would have to say Souray as a Devil. What about Roston, was his hard?

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
Rolston's second stint here when he was constantly missing the net definitely didn't do his shot justice. When he was younger he was unbelievable.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Al Iafrate was probably the fastest I've seen in person. Either him or Al MacInnis, and they both did it with wood sticks = greater than anyone currently playing today IMO.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Al Iafrate was probably the fastest I've seen in person. Either him or Al MacInnis, and they both did it with wood sticks = greater than anyone currently playing today IMO.

I forgot about "The Planet"

When got trade to Boston and we played them in the playoffs Bourque and Iafrate was the scariest point tandem I've ever seen

But here is a vote for MacInnis

Richer would score 3 or 4 goals a year shooting his slapper from outside the blueline.

Guy with the best Devils slapshot in all honesty was a player that played 2 games for them as a teenager. Corey Foster. A first round bust that played another 25 games with the Flyers years later. He was a terrible defender and lazy. But his shot was beyond world class.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Richer would score 3 or 4 goals a year shooting his slapper from outside the blueline.

Guy with the best Devils slapshot in all honesty was a player that played 2 games for them as a teenager. Corey Foster. A first round bust that played another 25 games with the Flyers years later. He was a terrible defender and lazy. But his shot was beyond world class.

It's all Foster had. He was cone other wise but it was a good shot.

I was thinking about Rolston ( first stint) he did have an excellent slap shot.

It's all Foster had. He was cone other wise but it was a good shot.

I was thinking about Rolston ( first stint) he did have an excellent slap shot.

Not Kurtis Foster, Corey Foster.

Kurtis Foster was the guy with the badly broken leg who played for us 4 years ago. Corey was the Devils first round pick in 1988 who the Devils dealt a year later to the Oilers. The Oilers dealt him a year later to the Flyers in the Scott Mellamby deal and played about 25 games for the Flyers before they released him. But when he played in the pre-season for us as an 18 year old, he had an unbelievable slap shot. He made the big club in training camp in 1988-89 but last 2 games before Schoenfeld realized he was BRUTAL in his own end. Lou got rid of him at the next draft for a 1st round pick.

Which leads me to think there were other problems with him not hockey related...

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Souray's was the hardest in IMO.
Rolston had a great slapper, and Richer's was very good, but wasn't as highlighted as it tended to get lost in his overall game.

I think Gelinas's is actually the best of the lot. It is just a pure bomb.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Kurtis Foster had a hell of a slap shot as well

Arnott's slap shot was huge and I always love watching the first goal below, what a rocket

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad