Harder transition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
There seems to be a harder and longer transition period to the NHL for rookies these days, resulting in a lot of players busting early. For instance, Yzerman, 22 years ago, had what would be considered a very good draft year (he was picked 4th overall) posting 91 pts in 56 games with Peterborough. The next year he made the jump to the NHL and led the Wings in scoring (he was only 18). Now I can't imagine any 18 year old (and that includes Crosby, Ovy) jumping in straight away and post excellent numbers. There are many cases of that in the '80s as well (Jimmy Carson, Lafontaine, etc...). Has the NHL improved drastically over the years?

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Leachmeister2000 said:
There seems to be a harder and longer transition period to the NHL for rookies these days, resulting in a lot of players busting early. For instance, Yzerman, 22 years ago, had what would be considered a very good draft year (he was picked 4th overall) posting 91 pts in 56 games with Peterborough. The next year he made the jump to the NHL and led the Wings in scoring (he was only 18). Now I can't imagine any 18 year old (and that includes Crosby, Ovy) jumping in straight away and post excellent numbers. There are many cases of that in the '80s as well (Jimmy Carson, Lafontaine, etc...). Has the NHL improved drastically over the years?

I think the players are bigger, faster and there's less open space on the ice. It's easier now to lean on rookies and to accomplish what you said, the player would have to learn to take some punishment, if he wants to score goals. The NHL of the 80's were highly offensive games. If a player had a tremendous amount of skill, it's highly likely he's going to put up points. I just think the NHL is too physical (clutch and grabbing too), for a rookie to come in and dominate.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Particularly since Ovechkin is with Washington. He is going to be targeted every night, seeing as he will be one of the more talented players there. Malkin will have it even worse with Pittsburgh, the AHL
team masquarading as an NHL team. Same for Crosby, if he ends up on a bottom feeder team. It is pretty unrealistic to expect teenage boys to come in and dominate the league these days.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
It's because the game is less skill and more hitting with less space. I really think the NHL should make the rink larger which would make it easier for rookies and scorers while weeding out the huge defense with no skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad