Happy retirement Carter

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
It just goes to show you that Sully can turn an "offense first" 2nd line C into a "skating last" 4th line C.

He was probably a good guy and all, (maybe not) with that handsy picture of him. I don't know what to say about this.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

Carter was obviously terrible for the Penguins in his last 2 years, but it really seemed like the team loved him. Hope he has a good retirement.

Yeah Carter sucked by the end of his time here, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a great locker room guy. People shouldn't extrapolate his poor on-ice performance into poor locker room leadership.

I think this is part of the problem though. Everyone is a friend and family. So instead of putting a young player that can help the team Carter was wheeled out over and over to bleed goals. Someone has to make unpopular decisions and there’s no one to do that.

It’s a far cry from the hard decision to go with Murray over MAF that lead us to a cup.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Good for BJC. Seems like he was genuinely liked and respected. But he was cooked on the ice.

Reactions: vodeni

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
In all seriousness he was great at first here and had a hell of a career.

Not his fault he got signed and got played a lot. I’m not saying no to that much money and minutes.

Definitely representative of what this franchise has become but I don’t hold it against him.

Reactions: Peat and Pens1566

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Hated playing against him (and Richards) on the Flyers. Guy was a beast, and totally clutch!
Imagine we had gotten him at that time!

It wasn't his fault that Hextall signed him for 3 years, and that the league doesn't provide any cap relief for players above 35. Otherwise, they could have moved him into a off-ice role sooner.

Good luck to him in his 2nd phase of hockey life!

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
The penguins players presented Big Jeff with a riding motor for a retirement gift.

Attachments

• 1713503939508.png
    1713503939508.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • Love
Reactions: wizmet12

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Thank you Jeff. For saving saving Sully and Dubas from themselves. I couldn't take another 2 years.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Is this because it's faster than he skates? Not sure I get it.
He bought a house end of August in Pittsburgh. My guess is he paid someone to mow the lawn and then fall/winter hit. So now that it’s spring and he’ll have time, they got him a mower.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Very good player.
Terrible Penguin for the last 2.5 years. Let the Kings celebrate him.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
He was done and Hextall gave him the contract he agreed to on the trade. Hextall never thought he would decline to where he was not able to keep up. It was a Hextall special that just hammered the cap and Pens. Dubas unloaded what he could and has to deal with a couple signings as well. I am not in the camp Jarry is not a good goalie but Pens D is not very good and any goalie will be exposed. The 4 years remaining is in line with what goalies of his caliber make. Graves can be a LD that is a stay at home D man who needs to play with more grit and heart. With a partner like J ST Ivany, he can be better. If he is better, Pens D can be good enough.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Good luck to Carter the person in retirement. He certainly earned all his accolades. The team clearly loves him, and TBH he has been pretty professional overall.

But its a bit disturbing how he came to represent so many things wrong with the Pens over the past few years. Obviously he should've been benched alot of the last 2 years, but Sullivan loves his vets.Then there was the extension, another galaxy brain move by a GM that was in love with him. Then the mishandling of the expansion draft. That one really rankles me the most. Everyone knows the NHL is an old boys club. If Carter told Seattle "dont take me", they would've passed over him. Losing Tanev and McCann over that, when lack of scoring depth has killed us for years since then, hurts alot.

I feel the same way I did when John Leclair retired. Should have never been a Penguin and negatively contributed to the team overall. I don’t care what he accomplished before he got here. Good riddance.
He wasnt quite that useless in my eyes. When he first came in the trade and reeled off alot of goals in the spring of 2021, I thought we had hit paydirt. He didnt keep that level up obviously, but I thought he was good in 2021 against the Isles and alright in 22 against the Rags.

I was randomly wondering the other day: if the Pens had moved to trade for him in 2019 or or so, and seen the same kind of immediate response they got in 2021, if he might've still had the juice to be a top six winger. His numbers in LA sucked at that time. But he got an immediate shot in the arm after the trade. I wonder if that was a 33 year old carter, rather than a 36 year old, if he could've ridden shotgun with 71 or something.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The thing about Carter is he always looked better when his minutes were managed and he was platooned. He was fine with the shortened season. But when we leaned on him hard when Geno was out, he cratered hard. He had moments where he looked good after he got sat for a bit, and then we were playing him for 16 minutes a night and he looked awful for all of them.

Just absolute malpractice.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
He got way more hate than he deserved.

He was very solid his first year and a half year. Blame Hextall for giving him that ridiculous contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad