Happy Birthday, Rick!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's another former Canuck with the first name of 'Rick', who's live ended tragically. In 2005, Rick Blight was found in his truck on a farm near Lake Manitoba, having taken his own life.

The Province story quoted his good friend Ron Chipperfield, who together with Blight formed a formidable scoring combo on the Brandon Wheat Kings teams of the 1970's.

"I really miss him", said Ron Chipperfield, the former NHL'er/WHA'er who stayed in contact with Blight. "I know it's coming up to the 15th anniversary. He was a great friend of mine. I talked to him two weeks before it happened, but he didn't tell me anything. He made it sound like everything was OK. I just wished he'd have reached out to someone."

The story also quoted Donna Blight, Rick's widow. "Rick was a strong guy. He never talked about his feelings. Everything was always fine. Now, whenever someone says they're fine, I want to dig deeper and start asking questions."

Amen to that.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
There's another former Canuck with the first name of 'Rick', who's live ended tragically. In 2005, Rick Blight was found in his truck on a farm near Lake Manitoba, having taken his own life.

The Province story quoted his good friend Ron Chipperfield, who together with Blight formed a formidable scoring combo on the Brandon Wheat Kings teams of the 1970's.

"I really miss him", said Ron Chipperfield, the former NHL'er/WHA'er who stayed in contact with Blight. "I know it's coming up to the 15th anniversary. He was a great friend of mine. I talked to him two weeks before it happened, but he didn't tell me anything. He made it sound like everything was OK. I just wished he'd have reached out to someone."

The story also quoted Donna Blight, Rick's widow. "Rick was a strong guy. He never talked about his feelings. Everything was always fine. Now, whenever someone says they're fine, I want to dig deeper and start asking questions."

Amen to that.
I didn't even know that he had died. I moved to the states in 2004, and it wouldn't have been a big story there. As the famous quote goes, most people live lives of quiet desperation.

Lucky to be fairly privileged ....

Reactions: gsharpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad