OT: Happy Birthday John Short!!!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Today on my show on TSN 1260 I'm honouring the great John Short. John turns 80 tomorrow. Between 2-5 p.m. today we will have many guests from John's past on the show today, including Wayne Gretzky, sharing some stories. This is a surprise and John has no idea we are doing it. John influenced many sports fans over the years, and told and wrote many outstanding stories. I believe he deserves a day to be honoured. If you have a fond memory of John, please email it to [email protected] so we can read on air or I can forward it to him. Thank you.

http://oilersnation.com/2017/1/30/monday-musings-nhl-debates-and-a-special-tribute

Hope this is thread worthy, if not please move mods.

Might have to figure out that podcast thing as I'm sure there are going to be some great stories.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Many years ago before sports radio matured in Edmonton I used to take John to bed with us as my wife and I would listen to his 9 pm show. Well, I listened while my wife read a novel. Now there are so many sports shows on radio but I thank John for what he's done for the local sports-radio scene. He always had a love for minor sports and devoted many hours to kids' sports. I ❤️ John for that.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Many years ago before sports radio matured in Edmonton I used to take John to bed with us as my wife and I would listen to his 9 pm show. Well, I listened while my wife read a novel. Now there are so many sports shows on radio but I thank John for what he's done for the local sports-radio scene. He always had a love for minor sports and devoted many hours to kids' sports. I ❤️ John for that.

Sounds kinky :naughty:

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
I'm not familiar with him.

I assume I should feel really bad about that, and rectify my ignorance.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I'm not familiar with him.

I assume I should feel really bad about that, and rectify my ignorance.

He's the best sports reporter Edmonton has ever had.

Happy Birthday, John. Hope he is in good health and all is well.

Oct 15, 2008
John would call it like it is. Regardless of the circumstances, which I believe led to him being shut out of the Oilers and led to his demotion to the community based/amateur beat.

A man of integrity. Happy birthday Mr Short, and thanks for the years of information and entertainment.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Caught a bit of the interview on the radio today. Great job for putting that together Gregor. Listened to his no punches pulled show at night as well back in the 80's.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Loved listening to his post game show back in the day coming home from a game or night ski lessons at Rabbit Hill.

Happy Birthday John! All the best.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for this thread! I haven't heard John's voice since about 1991, but I was just thinking of him the other day for some reason and wondering what happened to him.

He was a class guy, on air, and very good to listen to.

I'll never forget the night -- this'd be circa 1990 -- when some old dude called in after a slow, dull game and said, "John, that game tonight was about as exciting as Jan Reimer at a stag party!"

Short had to go to emergency commercial break a few times because he was laughing so hard...

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I miss his logical well thought out programs . Way better than those 2 jerks on 1260.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I miss his logical well thought out programs . Way better than those 2 jerks on 1260.

If your talking about Dustin Nielson, he's not that bad. He's one of the few TSN guys who acknowledges you on Twitter and from time to time spews out the truth about the team. I like his stuff.

Oct 15, 2008
John was the father of Edmonton sports radio and Hall was the weird uncle who always embarrassed himself.

Not even close.

Hall probably overstayed his welcome but he was a pioneer in the field and was here long before John arrived on the scene.

Sad and a little embarrassing that this needs to be pointed out here.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Not even close.

Hall probably overstayed his welcome but he was a pioneer in the field and was here long before John arrived on the scene.

Sad and a little embarrassing that this needs to be pointed out here.

I guess it depended on the type of guy you wanted to listen to. Short was always respectful to his callers, no matter what they were like or what their opinions were. Hall was only interested in his own opinion and was frequently rude to his callers.

Oct 15, 2008
I guess it depended on the type of guy you wanted to listen to. Short was always respectful to his callers, no matter what they were like or what their opinions were. Hall was only interested in his own opinion and was frequently rude to his callers.

I'm a big fan of Mr Short. Bryan Hall not so much but he started calling Eskimo games in 1965. I believe he also had the first or one of the first call in sportstalk shows.

I believe John worked with one of the news services before taking a job as PR guy for the Oilers, which was before he ever had his sports talk show. But he never cow toed to the team. Neither did Rod Phillips. If things stunk they said so and didn't truck in the nonsense and pandering we see today.

Those guys are missed and won't ever be replaced sadly.

Today we have to stomach The Information Minister and his handpicked chatty Kathy doll. We have to listen to wet behind the ears Poindexter's like Tencer be rude to people/callers twice his age.

Its quite sad actually.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
That was a blast listening to Short on Gregor's show yesterday. Love John Short and would always listen to his show, even called in a few times in the 80's. His laugh brought back a flood of memories as well. Truly a legend of Edmonton Radio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad