Happy Birthday Mr. Orr :bday::hbday::party::cheers:
1710912069801.png

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I wonder how many Bruin fans here on this site ( especially those that don't live in or around Boston ) became Bruin fans because of Bobby Orr ????
WVNY Channel 22 in Burlington, Vermont was a station that struggled to gain acceptance but their sports director drove to Boston to meet with WSBK-TV 38 management and over an evening of heavy drinking was able to secure the rights to simulcast all TV38 games in Vermont. Then that same sports director was able to convince the major cable TV operator in Montreal to add the station. Suddenly there were more Bruins games on TV in Montreal than Habs games. The Habs then demanded that the NHL make Vermont Canadiens TV territory and Clarence Campbell said NO.

@Gee Wally - That sports director did OK for himself.

The Ohio native began his career in 1969 at WVNY in Burlington, Vermont after earning a Masters’ degree in education from the University of Vermont. He moved on to WGIR in Manchester, New Hampshire in 1972 and joined WBZ-TV as weekend sports anchor in 1979. He became sports director in 1981, remaining in that role until 2008.

1710922638911.png

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I wonder how many Bruin fans here on this site ( especially those that don't live in or around Boston ) became Bruin fans because of Bobby Orr ????
Here's one.....way back when I was a kid, his brother was involved with the team in Binghamton NY. Heard Bobby was going to be at the arena....pushed my way through the crowd and was able to get his autograph.....my favorite childhood memory.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
We all know Bobby Orr's story, and what he means to several generations of fans who saw him play.

I was an infant when he played his last full season in Boston. On one good knee, he won the Art Ross Trophy, the Norris, the Pearson and was First Team All Star. I'm thankful that my life overlapped with his time with the Bruins (born in September of '74), even if I can't remember it.

I was actually in a fight once with another kid over who was going to be Bobby Orr in a street hockey game. We were both too young to remember him as a Bruin, but he was still very much larger than life to us.

Last year, I ordered a Bobby Orr jersey from Custom Throwback Jerseys in Quebec, and fulfilled a lifelong dream of mine to own an Orr jersey. There were so many styles to choose from, but I settled on the '74-'75 jersey since that's what he wore during my very early childhood. It arrived one year ago today on Mr. Orr's 75th birthday and I couldn't have been happier. Thankfully, the good folks up at Custom Throwbacks didn't send me a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey (or a Habs jersey) instead!!! You get bonus points if you get the reference...

Wearing the Orr jersey today in honor of the greatest player I've ever heard of. A man who would dominate in any decade of any century.

Thank you for everything, Bobby.

Last edited:

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
WVNY Channel 22 in Burlington, Vermont was a station that struggled to gain acceptance but their sports director drove to Boston to meet with WSBK-TV 38 management and over an evening of heavy drinking was able to secure the rights to simulcast all TV38 games in Vermont. Then that same sports director was able to convince the major cable TV operator in Montreal to add the station. Suddenly there were more Bruins games on TV in Montreal than Habs games. The Habs then demanded that the NHL make Vermont Canadiens TV territory and Clarence Campbell said NO.

@Gee Wally - That sports director did OK for himself.

View attachment 838805
On non-Broons nights, Lobel was joined by Upton Bell for Calling All Sports on WBZ radio. They were great. ICYMI, Upton was the son of former NFL Commissioner Bert Bell. Loved that program.

On their last night on the air, we had custom t-shirts made that said Bring Back Bob and Uppy. They asked us to come to the station and bring several (can't remember the exact number) extras for which they reimbursed us. Also, they read a humorous "Intelligence Test" that I developed, that I called the "Boston Intelligence Test," which really was a Boston trivia test.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I became a Bruins fan because of my dad, who I assume became a Bruins fan because of Orr.

I finally got to meet him before a Bruins game in 2010 when they were celebrating the 40th anniversary of the 1970 cup team. I was pretty awestruck and he spent most of the time talking with my daughter. Apparently I regaled her with enough Bobby Orr talk because she was beaming at the idea of talking to him.

Reactions: rfournier103

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
he was fine, but his defensive awareness was lacking
I wish there was a highlight reel of just his great defensive plays, which were often as spectacular as his goals (currently they are sprinkled throughout his general highlight reels). When anyone says that Gretzky was the GOAT, I reply, "Give me a team of 5 Orrs and you take a team of 5 Gretzkys. You can have first choice of goalies. The Orrs will win in a rout."

One season someone calculated that Orr was on the ice for 2/3 of da Broons' goals for, but only 1/3 of the goals against. If he was a one-way player, you wouldn't see such a huge discrepancy.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
WVNY Channel 22 in Burlington, Vermont was a station that struggled to gain acceptance but their sports director drove to Boston to meet with WSBK-TV 38 management and over an evening of heavy drinking was able to secure the rights to simulcast all TV38 games in Vermont.
I grew up in a small town called Ormstown ( located between Chateauguay and Valleyfield ) about an hour south of Montreal. Back in the TV antenna days ( no streaming services back then kids - can you believe it !!!!! ) we could get both WPTZ ( NBC affiliate out of Plattsburgh ) and WCAX ( CBS affiliate of of Burlington ) pretty clearly unless it was a really cloudy day but the WVNY ( ABC affiliate ) was a different story. No matter how much we turned our grounded antenna ( and that was a chore when there 4 or 5 feet of snow on the ground ) the picture was always pretty crappy.

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
I became a Bruin fan at 8 yrs old, the main reason was because of Bobby Orr, he was awe inspiring to watch him play and the team had so many characters, I have loved ever since and to this day!
Thank you Bobby Orr, blessings to you always and forever!
I wish that had met him at least once in my life.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad