HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY 75th BIRTHDAY ROBERT GORDON ORR

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Happy Birthday Bobby!

My dad's best friend had a framed photo of the famous goal in his dining room. I always thought it was awesome and his wife was completely ok with it.

My memories are of him post playing. The stature, banner captain and alumni events. Please keep telling your memories of Bobby playing. For someone who relies on them, the stories my dad would tell and videos, it helps to understand how special he was and still is to this organization and hockey.
I've told this story before but after the Cup win in 1970 we were in church (good young catholic boy I was) and I will never forget what the priest said in his sermon:

"But just like Bobby Orr is a superstar, Jesus Christ is a superstar." (I found out later he was not a Bruins fan)

Like Wally and Fenway, I've been lucky to see many of the greats in the game. Howe (it was actually because of him that I fell in love with the game), Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby....

The closest player to Orr when it comes to dominating his era, and I say this with all due respect to the other players is McDavid.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I never got to see him play very often. Bobby was my generations McDavid.

happy birthday.

I like to say peak Orr was absolutely the Michael Jordan of his era.

Two things stand out beyond The Goal. On my 12 B-Day, I saw 18 year old Orr drop the gloves and drop Habs tough guy twice in a pure boxing match.

The backhand goal from literally the corner picking the top of the net. Was greatest goal I have seen to this day. I know its on video because I saw it several years ago.
Can't remember if it was against Rangers or Habs.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I got this for Christmas one year and loved it to death.
CC12F001-2F51-4F75-8A2F-1532F5E85D58.jpeg

I thought these pictures were so cool. :DD
A16E455B-0E37-4A50-89D0-4D5AC79D6FCB.jpeg

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I got this for Christmas one year and loved it to death. View attachment 672947
I thought these pictures were so cool. :DD
View attachment 672948
I have that book as well. :)

Happy Birthday Bobby Orr, the GOAT. The reason I became a Bruins fan at the age of 3! Also later the reason I became a RedSox, Celtics and Patriots fan and pro Boston, all because of #4.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Watching the second cup after game interviews. Wow. Why a f***ing time it was. Sanderson smoking a cigarette while being interviewed by Cusik and Pierson. Crazy

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
It's why I'm a Bruins fan for all these years! Saw him in the 70's when my dad got tickets right behind Bruins bench in Vancouver. The Bruins were like the Beatles of hockey visiting. Met him once at a radio talk show in a pub. Such a nice fellow!

Last edited:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Like a lot of others here I can say that Bobby Orr was the player that made me a hockey fan and a lifelong Bruins fan too. But unlike those that grew up in or around Boston my story is probably a bit different. I grew up in a small town about an hour outside of Montreal so everybody I knew cheered for the Habs. I think I was around 7 when my Dad started the process of making me a hockey fan and a ( shudder ) Montreal Canadiens fan. The first couple of games I watched on TV were Montreal blowouts as they always seemed to play crappy teams on Thursday nights ( local French telecasts ) and on Saturday nights ( HNIC ). I didn't really understand the rules or strategy of the game but I did like the speed that it was played in. Then one weekend afternoon I turned the TV over to WPTZ ( NBC affiliate out of Burlington, Vermont ) and they were airing an afternoon game between Boston and ( I think ) Detroit. That's when I first saw this #4 guy in black just flying all over the ice and even without fully understanding the game at that point I just knew that this guy was so much better than anybody else out there. The announcers ( Tim Ryan and Ted Lindsay ) were trying to make the game sound competitive while still gushing over Orr. That was the day I knew that I had found my team. That night I told my Dad that I was now a Bruins fan which did not go over very well - this was way before the Nordiques were around and the Leafs were pretty much irrelevant so there was not a more hated team than the Bruins for Montreal fans. I think my Dad would have been less upset if I had told him that I was having relations with the family dog. Even though I had some tough years along the way ( High School was the worst with the Bruins seemingly losing to Montreal in the Playoffs every freaking season ) I'm still glad that watching Bobby Orr on a cold winter day back in the early 70's made me a Bruins fan for life. Happy Birthday Bobby !!!!! :bday:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
30 years ago BayBank had a grand opening for their new office in Harvard Square and bought print ads that Bobby Orr would be there.

TEN THOUSAND PEOPLE SHOWED UP

I wish the entire video existed but one night in Oakland back in the early 70s the Bruins were called for a penalty and on the faceoff, Orr wound up with the puck and for 1 minute and 50 seconds never lost control of it and then scored a shorthanded goal.

He routinely played 35-40 minutes a game in that era.

He was the best I have ever seen.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
30 years ago BayBank had a grand opening for their new office in Harvard Square and bought print ads that Bobby Orr would be there.

TEN THOUSAND PEOPLE SHOWED UP

I wish the entire video existed but one night in Oakland back in the early 70s the Bruins were called for a penalty and on the faceoff, Orr wound up with the puck and for 1 minute and 50 seconds never lost control of it and then scored a shorthanded goal.

He routinely played 35-40 minutes a game in that era.

He was the best I have ever seen.

Grapes often spoke of when a rookie was in the lineup for someone (can't recall who) and Orr was ragging the puck and this rookie chasing him. Orr pointed and told him where to go stand and the rookie listened and then Orr fed him the puck and then quickly went and took it away,

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Best team athlete ever seen

McDavid playing in college right now is my comp he was that dominant

Reactions: DominicT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad