HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY 75th BIRTHDAY ROBERT GORDON ORR

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I love it how on the main board, they are calling modern players generational. No f***ing clue! Nobody in today’s game except probably McDavid has dominated or changed the game like Orr.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I love it how on the main board, they are calling modern players generational. No f***ing clue! Nobody in today’s game except probably McDavid has dominated or changed the game like Orr.

McDavid never changed the game like Orr did and isn't as dominant. The only thing McDavid can say on his behalf and there is no denying it, is the competition
he faces is better than Orr faced.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Best team athlete ever seen

McDavid playing in college right now is my comp he was that dominant

Bill Russell still is the greatest team athlete I saw. NCAA Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist and I believe 11 NBA Titles. For Boston sports, Orr would be
ahead of Tom Brady because too often Brady showed teammates up
publically. Larry Bird would probably be closely behind Orr.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Bill Russell still is the greatest team athlete I saw. NCAA Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist and I believe 11 NBA Titles. For Boston sports, Orr would be

Orr is incomparable.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Don't think that is true.

To each his own and Orr is The GOAT in hockey.

However, Russell dominated against much better athletes. If you think your average Canadian NHL player back in the 1960's and early 70's was anywhere near comparable to the NBA athletes of that era, I think you didn't watch much BB back then.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
To each his own and Orr is The GOAT in hockey.

However, Russell dominated against much better athletes. If you think your average Canadian NHL player back in the 1960's and early 70's was anywhere near comparable to the NBA athletes of that era, I think you didn't watch much BB back then.

The Celtics were dominate, not Russell.

A great team player, their most valuable, no doubt. But never dominate. One of, if not the best defensive players ever, but Satch Sanders and KC Jones were also great defenders at forward and guard respectively. No one at that time ran a fast break like the Celtics. They were ahead of their time. An all-star team with the greatest coach ever.

Reactions: Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The Celtics were dominate, not Russell.

A great team player, their most valuable, no doubt. But never dominate. An all-star team with the greatest coach ever. One of, if not the best defensive players ever, but Satch Sanders and KC Jones were also great defenders at forward and guard respectively. No one at that time ran a fast break like the Celtics. They were ahead of their time.

Except Russell did it at the NCAA and Olympic level. Boston doesn't win one single NBA Title w\o Russ out of 11. Come on man how can you diminish him like that?.

Orr didn't even win a Memorial Cup and despite his being the GOAT, won 2 Cups when they should have won literally 5. Russell has more hardware, (2) NCAA Titles, Olympic Gold and 11 NBA titles (again none of them occur w\o Russ).

Brewin8

Jul 17, 2008
British Columbia
Was fortunate to see him play once in 1971, my Dad took me to my first NHL game in Vancouver because I was already Bruins fan.. have vague memories as a 9 yr old that I’ll cherish forever.
Happy Birthday Bobby Orr!

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Except Russell did it at the NCAA and Olympic level. Boston doesn't win one single NBA Title w\o Russ out of 11. Come on man how can you diminish him like that?.

Orr didn't even win a Memorial Cup and despite his being the GOAT, won 2 Cups when they should have won literally 5. Russell has more hardware, (2) NCAA Titles, Olympic Gold and 11 NBA titles (again none of them occur w\o Russ).

I'm not trying to diminish him.

I think you are overrating him based on team success alone.

Perhaps the best defensive player ever, one of the best rebounders also. But, in the highest scoring era of basketball, Russell never averaged 20 points a game.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'm not trying to diminish him.

I think you are overrating him based on team success alone.

Perhaps the best defensive player ever, one of the best rebounders also. But, in the highest scoring era of basketball, Russell never averaged 20 points a game.

Russell dominated the defensive boards which led directly to the Celts fast break on offense.

The Celts after Russell retired became a rather bad team until Cowens and White came. When Orr left after the 1975-76 season, Boston went to consecutive Cup Finals. So yeah, you are selling Russ short.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Russell dominated the defensive boards which led directly to the Celts fast break on offense.

The Celts after Russell retired became a rather bad team until Cowens and White came. When Orr left after the 1975-76 season, Boston went to consecutive Cup Finals. So yeah, you are selling Russ short.

So is your point still that Russell was more impressive than Orr?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
So is your point still that Russell was more impressive than Orr?

Absolutely in the context of greatest team player impact, which was my original response.

Bobby Orr was a human highlight reel with the puck but for all the greatness he had,
the team he led at his peak (1968-69 thru 1973-74) fell short 3 times in 6 years.
Compare that to Russell only losing once in the playoffs when able to play (he was injured and out in the late 50's) over 12 years, then I can't see anyone coming to any other conclusion.

To each their own. Boston fans were lucky to have had Orr and Russell. I know I was fortunate to watch both with memories from literally 1962-63 until Orr's final year
in Boston the 10 games with Brad Park in 1975.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Absolutely in the context of greatest team player impact, which was my original response.

Bobby Orr was a human highlight reel with the puck but for all the greatness he had,
the team he led at his peak (1968-69 thru 1973-74) fell short 3 times in 6 years.
Compare that to Russell only losing once in the playoffs when able to play (he was injured and out in the late 50's) over 12 years, then I can't see anyone coming to any other conclusion.

To each their own. Boston fans were lucky to have had Orr and Russell. I know I was fortunate to watch both with memories from literally 1962-63 until Orr's final year
in Boston the 10 games with Brad Park in 1975.

So is Jean Beliveau the greatest team player in hockey history?

By the way, the only thing I really objected to was this:

"Outside of hockey fans, next to no one will say Orr exceeds Russell."

Last edited:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Just wanted to post these. Forgive me if you’ve seen these before.

1679484673980.png

1679484703054.jpeg

Signing with the Bruins:

1679484744927.jpeg

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
We have been very fortunate living in Boston as far as seeing some of the all time greats, not the greatest player but the greatest hitter Ted Williams . great QB Tom Brady , greatest winner Bill Russell again like Ted maybe not the greatest player but if we were to have a all time draft Russell would be my first pick because I know I drafted a winner . Marvin Hagler who did it the hard way not just with talent but also with hard work and determination and was not a sellout so he could take the easy road , and add loyalty to his trainers the Petronellis . Larry Bird like Orr made the game a terrific watch , not same anymore . Orr the greatest of all time and responsible for changing the game that made it possible for for future players to be able to go out and play some of the greatest hockey ever played , he opened up the game that so many future Defenseman could only dream of playing like they are now. He also helped past player like Howe, Hull and others get paid like they should so richly deserved , after being screwed by ownership for so many years . Thank you to you all you made our sports life so much better.......

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
We have been very fortunate living in Boston as far as seeing some of the all time greats, not the greatest player but the greatest hitter Ted Williams . great QB Tom Brady , greatest winner Bill Russell again like Ted maybe not the greatest player but if we were to have a all time draft Russell would be my first pick because I know I drafted a winner . Marvin Hagler who did it the hard way not just with talent but also with hard work and determination and was not a sellout so he could take the easy road , and add loyalty to his trainers the Petronellis . Larry Bird like Orr made the game a terrific watch , not same anymore . Orr the greatest of all time and responsible for changing the game that made it possible for for future players to be able to go out and play some of the greatest hockey ever played , he opened up the game that so many future Defenseman could only dream of playing like they are now. He also helped past player like Howe, Hull and others get paid like they should so richly deserved , after being screwed by ownership for so many years . Thank you to you all you made our sports life so much better.......

Going back even further for boxing don't forget Rocky Marciano!!!

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I think he being mentioned with those other greats is quite an honor and I would put money on it that he would feel that way ...........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad