Friedman: Hanzal talks heating up (multiple teams interested)

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

Yeah, not a direct Friedman tweet but it's talking about his 30 thoughts. Talks are that Hanzal's name is heating up with lots of interest and as the tweet says, young NHL ready centreman is the price.

As for MTL, imo; Hudon, McCarron are the names that come to mind. McCarron would be enough probably, but MTL would require a cap dump. Hanzal would fit MTL's needs well enough, even though they need a top 6 LW probably more, if they want to contend they need to be stronger up the middle.

AZ fans, how do you guys feel about moving Hanzal for a young centre? What do you realistically expect in return?

Here is the quote from Friedman's piece:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-will-nhl-walk-away-2018-olympics/

15. Arizona has told teams that pending unrestricted free agent Martin Hanzal will not be dealt unless the Coyotes receive a young player who can step in now. The preference is a centre. It sounds like there’s quite a bit of interest. Could see San Jose and St. Louis being among them. Fits what both need and both do.

Dog

Habs don't really need him
Danault is playing well and we have Galchenyuk and Pleks

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
AZ fans, how do you guys feel about moving Hanzal for a young centre? What do you realistically expect in return?

It will depend on how much a team values faceoffs and how much risk tolerance they have. For what it's worth, Hanzal's condition is chronic from what we are told, but that he can manage it and play through it if needed. So, playoffs.

I don't know what their plan is because, quite frankly, it seems like they don't have one right now. Dvorak was sent down and Strome can't buy a game. Tippett has converted Martinook to center and they're going to trade Hanzal? A center probably has to come the other way.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
It will depend on how much a team values faceoffs and how much risk tolerance they have. For what it's worth, Hanzal's condition is chronic from what we are told, but that he can manage it and play through it if needed. So, playoffs.

I don't know what their plan is because, quite frankly, it seems like they don't have one right now. Dvorak was sent down and Strome can't buy a game. Tippett has converted Martinook to center and they're going to trade Hanzal? A center probably has to come the other way.

Montreal does have Hudon and McCarron in the minors who are both ready to play minutes in the NHL. Hudon leads the league in goals, but for whatever reason MTL just doesn't like him. They've never given him a real shot, but he's a player. As for McCarron, I'm not sure they'd deal him or at least would be hesitant.

Also, Montreal would have to send Desharnais back I would imagine, possibly Plekanec instead and make the deal bigger.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada

We would certainly be interested the bolded text. We need help in that respect.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I'd move Kasperi Kapanen+Peter Holland if the Leafs were able to talk extension prior to the deal.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
The only young center the Blues have is Barbashev and I'd be pretty pissed if Armstrong traded him for Hanzal. Actually we have Bleackley as well but he's nothing special.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Would the Coyotes be interested in a pair of prospects/picks? Is Lukas Sedlak, who is performing quite well at the moment centering the Jackets 4th line, of any interest?

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
there is no way Montreal trades Hudon or Mac for a30 yeard UFA to be 40 point C

rather Keep Plek at 2nd C and let him put up the 40 points himself and not have to give up anything.

if habs get a C it should be someone that can impact the team in a ver positive way. Otherwise get a LW

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
As a Wings fan i would gladly do something around Sheahan for Hanzal. But if Arizona thinks that they're getting a potential top 6 ready now NHL Centerman with tons of potential for an almost 30 year old Martin Hanzal that's not happening. Would love Hanzals big 6'6 frame on the 3rd line here.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
The return should be ex-NCAA AHL forward on ELC. Cheap long term for budget team. Team can also save close to 3mil cash by dropping Hanzal.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
there is no way Montreal trades Hudon or Mac for a30 yeard UFA to be 40 point C

rather Keep Plek at 2nd C and let him put up the 40 points himself and not have to give up anything.

if habs get a C it should be someone that can impact the team in a ver positive way. Otherwise get a LW

McCarron is a no.

I wouldn't mind trading Hudon, I don't see a future with us but he could be worth a try with Arizona, but only if they take Desharnais in the deal !

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is Arizona is motivated, I'm sure they can retain on Hanzal or take some expiring contract back for the right deal.

Would hate to see him go, even with the injuries and impending UFA. He's been a beast of a player.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Bergevin will never trade BigMac for a rental. Never.

Hudon though makes some sens as he is unhappy with the Habs and is tearing it up in the AHL.

NHL ready and center, young and talented. Fits the bill.

We would obviously have to include a salary so DD is the go to guy. He still could help younger guys for the rest of the season in Arizona.

Don't know if Hudon and DD is enough though. Maybe add a pick or something woul do it.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
With Helm going down and Holland desperate to make the playoffs I have a bad feeling he will do something stupid here.

Montreal makes the most sense and he would be a big addition to their lineup.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm not keen on letting McCarron go though. I'd do Hudon though.

No.

He is a 40 point UFA. We aren't trading our best F prospect for him.

I'm just speculating here.

Not completely sure of the Canadiens needs, I assume it's wingers, but let's say they trade Desharnais + McCarron for Hanzal + Rieder or another winger(?)

I highly doubt Montreal trades Desharnais considering he seems to be a management/coaching favorite and an integral part of that locker room. Interesting idea. At the same time, I just don't see how the Coyotes can trade Hanzal without getting a quality center back in return. They'd end up leaving their young kids out to dry.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
With Helm going down and Holland desperate to make the playoffs I have a bad feeling he will do something stupid here.

Montreal makes the most sense and he would be a big addition to their lineup.

I was thinking the exact same thing, With Helm expected to be out 6-8 weeks i could see Holland making a dumb move for Hanzal after all he is a 40 point centerman. Actually would rather rely on Hanzal to help us out here then Sheahan. Wonder if Chayka would retain on Hanzal that's the only way we could afford him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad