Hank--30 wins?

MorrisWanchuk

Sep 23, 2008
Hank and Ken Dryden are the only goalies to go their first 7 seasons with 30 wins?

Is it crazy to think Hank could possibly get 30? If he plays 40 that means winning 3/4 games...

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Lundqvist is the only player.

In Dryden's first season, he played 6 games. That's how he was able to win the Calder the next year (the season after winning the Conn Smythe).

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
That sucks that the lockout could jepordize that distinctive record.

This year aside It was not too far fetched for Hank to obliterate that record.

I'd also go as far as saying when all is said and done, if Hank and Brodeur are neck and neck in stats; provided Hank wins a few cups as well. The consecutive 30w seasons thing could have set him apart from Marty if it ever comes to that arguement years from now.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Last season Lundqvist played 62 games in a 186 day season. One game every three days. If he plays the same proportion that would be 33 games in this 99 game season.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
they're playing 48 games in 99 days

hank's not playing 45 games are you nuts?

he'll play my guess around 35 games give or take a few

he won't win 30 games this year. not possible imo

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
if he wins 30 games its because he won 30 in less than 40 games

not gonna happen

at MOST hank plays 38 games this year. AT MOST

so unless he goes 30-8 which would be nuts, you are dreaming

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
While Lundqvist has been wonderful since joining the league, let's also remember that 30 win mark doesn't have much historical significance since it does include shootout wins.

**And before someone complains, yes, Lundqvist is phenomenal in shootouts, and he should be recognized for that, but goalies in previous eras were not given that opportunity for the win, so that record will only matter in the context of comparing to shootout-era goalies.**

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
it absolutely does have significance has anyone else done it since?

a win is a win. they used to not have overtime either.

by the way let me add i hope i'm wrong and hank plays all 48 because imo biron is terrible.

the only thing is we need a fresh hank for the playoffs. if that means biron has to play 10 to 15 games so be it

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
30 isnt happening.

Unfortunately the lockout has screwed up all of these types of records so the historical significance is ****ed even if he gets 18. (the new 30)

We can thank Gary for that

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

by the way let me add i hope i'm wrong and hank plays all 48 because imo biron is terrible.

the only thing is we need a fresh hank for the playoffs. if that means biron has to play 10 to 15 games so be it

Biron is "terrible" because we are comparing him to the best goalie in the world. Hes a serviceable backup at the least.

This year I'm a little worried about his play going into the season though.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens

Actually the significance really isn't much at all. A guy like Brodeur got 27 in his rookie season (barely played half the games), then 19 in a lockout shortened season (prorated that's >> 30), then he got 30 wins for something like 13 straight years after that. So when you look at it in context, it's really not significant, it's just rare because most goalies don't play enough to win 30 games in their first season. But we love Hank, so a lot of us like to follow this streak. Personally for me, i'll consider the mark still valid if he wins 18 games this year.

Also, Biron is far from terrible.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
I'd be shocked if he plays much more than 30 games. Let alone wins 30.

Depends on what kind of start we get off to. If the team starts slow, I doubt they'll have much choice but to ride Hank hard to make up lost ground.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
38-0-0.

:laugh:

Seriously though, it's doable IF he's still in Vezina form while other tenders are in poor form AND his team become the best in the league.

30-6-2 sounds impossible but with consistency and sheer brilliance which are are capable of, who know?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad