Proposal: Hanifin to Boston

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He would be, especially in the playoffs where he’s proven he can elevate his game which is what Boston need. In terms of cost, many here have told me Boston will be flush with cap space from here on out so apparently that’s not a problem.
Couture is 34 and has 3 years left at 8 million.

I haven't seen him play in his return but the stats don't look very good, the Bruins would be better off trading for Kadri and I don't think that is a good option either.

Maybe they swing a deal including a couple of really good pieces and Ullmark for Hertl but then that would need a 3rd team that can use Ullmark and in the NHL that's a lot harder than on these boards.

In short I don't see a market for Couture and Hertl is probably too rich for the Bruins to inquire about.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yeah with a rental it’s a roll of the dice. Of course with Hanifin it would be to keep him around long term, so if he can’t pick up the system (like Orlov) in a couple months you don’t lose sleep.
Having a season like that you want to stand pat. Keep your future. Chemistry is touchy thing to roll dice on

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Kadri plays for the Flames. Both teams suck.

Thats like saying a hand held battery powered vacuum and an industrial strength vacuum both suck.

Having a season like that you want to stand pat. Keep your future. Chemistry is touchy thing to roll dice on

It’s as much, or more, about the fact that their LD group is all UFAs on the wrong side of 30 or rookies except for Hampus Lindholm.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Couture is 34 and has 3 years left at 8 million.

I haven't seen him play in his return but the stats don't look very good, the Bruins would be better off trading for Kadri and I don't think that is a good option either.

Maybe they swing a deal including a couple of really good pieces and Ullmark for Hertl but then that would need a 3rd team that can use Ullmark and in the NHL that's a lot harder than on these boards.

In short I don't see a market for Couture and Hertl is probably too rich for the Bruins to inquire about.
I think it’s unfair to assess Couture in 6 games coming off a major abdominal injury and a constant juggling of lines, but the play has been far better than the numbers. The sheer fact he’s a plus player on that team not to mention they’re 4-1-1 since his return speaks volumes about his impact.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He's clearly substantially better. Hertl has the 2nd worst defensive numbers of any player in the league. Kadri has way more jam and better offensive numbers. Couture has 1 assist in 6 games. He's average well under 50 points for the past 5 seasons and has become a liability in his own end.
I don’t even know where to begin here. I guess I’ll start with the fact Logan is averaging 63 points per 82 game season in his last 5, which is a number Kadri has reached once in his career.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think it’s unfair to assess Couture in 6 games coming off a major abdominal injury and a constant juggling of lines, but the play has been far better than the numbers.
If you say so I'm just seeing 7 SOG in 6 games that's a real drop-off in rate.

Even with SA he is at 20 in 6 games, last year it was 342 in 82 but like you said it's a small sample but certainly doesn't scream that he hasn't dropped off.

Also maybe it's unfair to asses his game after 6 games but exactly how is his performance in the 18-19 playoffs relevant?

The sheer fact he’s a plus player on that team not to mention they’re 4-1-1 since his return speaks volumes about his impact.
Or it could be a coincidence?

His 8 X 3 after this year really hurts his trade chances.

Also I have no idea if NHL GMs think this but the last 2 guys that left San Jose haven't lived up to expectations so maybe the Big fish in small pond doesn't translate for Hertl either.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don’t even know where to begin here. I guess I’ll start with the fact Logan is averaging 63 points per 82 game season in his last 5, which is a number Kadri has reached once in his career.
You probably have an argument with Kadri over Hertl but this one for Logan is weak since Logan has only had 2 seasons over 63 points with 67 and 70 while Kadri broke 90 points.

So this probably isn't the best argument here for Logan.

Having said that the poster you are quoting is pretty easy to respond to since his arguments aren't that great.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If you say so I'm just seeing 7 SOG in 6 games that's a real drop-off in rate.

Even with SA he is at 20 in 6 games, last year it was 342 in 82 but like you said it's a small sample but certainly doesn't scream that he hasn't dropped off.

Also maybe it's unfair to asses his game after 6 games but exactly how is his performance in the 18-19 playoffs relevant?

Or it could be a coincidence?

His 8 X 3 after this year really hurts his trade chances.

Also I have no idea if NHL GMs think this but the last 2 guys that left San Jose haven't lived up to expectations so maybe the Big fish in small pond doesn't translate for Hertl either.
You’re right. It’s all just a coincidence.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You’re right. It’s all just a coincidence.
I'm saying it could be and what you are saying that 6 games isn't fair to draw a conclusion then you drew one despite the additional stats.

Sorry but I don't trust your judgment here.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
You probably have an argument with Kadri over Hertl but this one for Logan is weak since Logan has only had 2 seasons over 63 points with 67 and 70 while Kadri broke 90 points.

So this probably isn't the best argument here for Logan.

Having said that the poster you are quoting is pretty easy to respond to since his arguments aren't that great.
Kadri was traded for spare parts from Toronto and found success playing with top tier players in Colorado. Logan is a seven time 25 goal scorer. Nazim did it twice in back to back years in Toronto almost a decade ago. Logan had more PPG, SHG (which Kadri doesn’t even do) and GWG. He plays more than a minute more per game which means he’s probably utilized in more important scenarios. Last year he still put up 27 goals playing with a mix of Noah Gregor, Barabanov, Matt nieto and Andreas Johansson.

I'm saying it could be and what you are saying that 6 games isn't fair to draw a conclusion then you drew one despite the additional stats.

Sorry but I don't trust your judgment here.
Not really. You’re looking at things strictly through the lens of points production. I’m merely stating his return had a much more profound effect on the team than you’re accepting, and I assume much of that is due to the fact that you’re basing everything off a stat sheet and not actually watching what his contributions are. The points will come but declaring him basically toast because he hasn’t put up points 6 games into a return from an injury he thought, at one point, he wouldn’t return from is a knee jerk reaction.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Kadri was traded for spare parts from Toronto and found success playing with top tier players in Colorado. Logan is a seven time 25 goal scorer. Nazim did it twice in back to back years in Toronto almost a decade ago. Logan had more PPG, SHG (which Kadri doesn’t even do) and GWG. He plays more than a minute more per game which means he’s probably utilized in more important scenarios. Last year he still put up 27 goals playing with a mix of Noah Gregor, Barabanov, Matt nieto and Andreas Johansson.
Man your analysis on Kadri being traded from Toronto to the Avs for spare parts shows a lack of nuance and I'll help you out here.

1. Kadri was done in Toronto because of back to back first year playoff exits in which Kadri got suspended for the rest of the first round, his value was low due to that.

2. The spare parts that he was trade for included the future top scoring Dman in the 20-21 in the NHL and Kerfoot who was a decent middle 6 center.

Maybe Couture is better than Kadri but if the scale is 100 and Couture is 100 , Kadri is in the high 90s we are talking about what these players are doing now and will do in the future not what happened 5 years ago.

Not really. You’re looking at things strictly through the lens of points production. I’m merely stating his return had a much more profound effect on the team than you’re accepting, and I assume much of that is due to the fact that you’re basing everything off a stat sheet and not actually watching what his contributions are. The points will come but declaring him basically toast because he hasn’t put up points 6 games into a return from an injury he thought, at one point, he wouldn’t return from is a knee jerk reaction.
I stated that I haven't seen him play upon his return then you replied that 6 games wasn't a fair enough example to evaluate him on the counting stats but then when on to do so with your POV which I dare say might have rose colored vision here?

The whole argument is pretty moot as the Bruins, nor any other team, aren't trading for that contract.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
39, 31, 56, 67 and 1 is an average of 63? I don't imagine teams care about his production or lack there of when he's out half the time. Especially when in his current season he has a total of 1 point.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Personally I think the Flames can do better, particularly in regards to getting a younger prospect and a 1st that is in 2024. The only thing that would make me intrigued is if the 2025 1st was unprotected.

As much as I hate to say it, the Stars are gonna make a better offer, I am pretty sure they are gonna offer 2024 1st + Stankhoven for Hanifin which would be more attractive to the Flames. I hope he goes to the Bruins though.

• Wow
Reactions: FLAMESFAN

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
39, 31, 56, 67 and 1 is an average of 63? I don't imagine teams care about his production or lack there of when he's out half the time. Especially when in his current season he has a total of 1 point.
I think it was the last 5 years b4 this current one and at an 82 game rate to boot.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Personally I think the Flames can do better, particularly in regards to getting a younger prospect and a 1st that is in 2024. The only thing that would make me intrigued is if the 2025 1st was unprotected.

As much as I hate to say it, the Stars are gonna make a better offer, I am pretty sure they are gonna offer 2024 1st + Stankhoven for Hanifin which would be more attractive to the Flames. I hope he goes to the Bruins though.
Dallas needs a high end defenseman for sure. I just would be stunned if they would give up Stankoven for him. Even more stunned than I was when we passed up on him to draft William Stromgren.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Man if the Flames can get Stank and a first from Dallas for a UFA they gotta jump on it right?

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Dallas needs a high end defenseman for sure. I just would be stunned if they would give up Stankoven for him. Even more stunned than I was when we passed up on him to draft William Stromgren.
To be fair it was the Covid draft and Stank only played 10 of the Blazers 22 games and wasn't a top 6 player yet.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Sure. He was out when the team was out of contention. I also literally said per 82 game season. If we’re gonna argue about games lost in the last 5 years, I got some bad news about Kadri. Also, arguing about not immediately productive 6 games after returning from an injury is just dumb. Frankly, if y’all are so in love with Kadri’s production then I guess Calgary is better off keeping him then.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
To be fair it was the Covid draft and Stank only played 10 of the Blazers 22 games and wasn't a top 6 player yet.
I was screaming it at the time. Anyone who watched him and didn't see it I question their ability to identify talent. He was the biggest surprise I've seen fall from the WHL (The only junior league I watch a lot) since Brayden Point.

Sure. He was out when the team was out of contention. I also literally said per 82 game season. If we’re gonna argue about games lost in the last 5 years, I got some bad news about Kadri. Also, arguing about not immediately productive 6 games after returning from an injury is just dumb. Frankly, if y’all are so in love with Kadri’s production then I guess Calgary is better off keeping him then.
Such a silly post. You get we are rebuilding right? Were you guys better off keeping Timo Meier, Brent Burns and Erik Karlsson? Everyone who has watched Couture can tell he's cooked. Kadri is on pace for 30 and 65 while actually playing in his own end.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I was screaming it at the time. Anyone who watched him and didn't see it I question their ability to identify talent. He was the biggest surprise I've seen fall from the WHL (The only junior league I watch a lot) since Brayden Point.
This sounds a bit revisionist to me and I'm a huge stank supporter but Kamloops was a factory then and he was small and didn't scream NHLer and the Covid thing cut short both his years and more importantly no playoffs.

Such a silly post. You get we are rebuilding right? Were you guys better off keeping Timo Meier, Brent Burns and Erik Karlsson? Everyone who has watched Couture can tell he's cooked. Kadri is on pace for 30 and 65 while actually playing in his own end.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This sounds a bit revisionist to me and I'm a huge stank supporter but Kamloops was a factory then and he was small and didn't scream NHLer and the Covid thing cut short both his years and more importantly no playoffs.
It's not. Go look at the draft thread on our forum. I said it at least 3 times when he hadn't been taken yet and our pick was coming up. I had him in the top 15 and even that was only because he was so small.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Stars have said that they are looking for a high end upgrade on D and I think they might see Stankoven expendable since they also have Borque. Esp since they have a chance to re-sign Hanifin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad