Confirmed with Link: Hamilton going to a red team (The F1 Thread)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Is F1 still so boring? I was never a big race fan but when I lived up north, my brother in law was a big fan so we’d go to the Grand Prix in Montreal every year with a couple other friends. Michael Shumacher won most of them, something like 6 out of 8. Nobody really ever passed except in the pits.

time trials were more exciting than the race.

Montreal is a fun city but during F1 it’s exceedingly fun. I’m sure the locals don’t think so .

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I can't answer the "still boring" part but then and now I'd rather watch F1 than one second of NASCAR, which aside from the computer games they put out in the 90s I just never cared for, have yet to even visit the HOF, which I tend to forget is about 15 minutes from me.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Is F1 still so boring? I was never a big race fan but when I lived up north, my brother in law was a big fan so we’d go to the Grand Prix in Montreal every year with a couple other friends. Michael Shumacher won most of them, something like 6 out of 8. Nobody really ever passed except in the pits.

time trials were more exciting than the race.

Montreal is a fun city but during F1 it’s exceedingly fun. I’m sure the locals don’t think so .
I used to have racing completely off my radar for sports watching. However, I became an avid fan once I started working for an automotive OEM and lots of my colleagues were interested in F1. The thing that made it "click" for me was recognizing the drivers as individual athletes with their own personalities rather than a product of their cars; I never saw it this way and it helped me realize how in depth the sport can go. I think Drive to Survive type shows are a good way to demonstrate this even though the show itself is over-dramatic and often creates fake rivalries

To speak about the current state of F1, this year is tight between Mercedes and Red Bull. In particular for the drivers, Verstappen and Hamilton are battling for the title. Verstappen has the edge this year after prior years of Hamilton dominance, but it's close and the races have been pretty tightly fought.

Next year, F1 is introducing new regulations for the cars which will hopefully tighten up the contenders. Specifically, the regulations were made to improve overtaking chances by helping drivers follow closer to each other. No one really has any idea how it will go, but in theory it sounds like a positive direction to shake up the contenders and make races more interesting

The other aspect is the circuits. Overtaking chances are also very track dependent unfortunately (looking at you Monaco...). Luckily, some of the culprits have been tweaked recently but I fear this will always generate boring races regardless of the actual competitiveness of the field. As a result, tuning in on a bad weekend can paint F1 in a bad light and there's nothing to be done about that sadly

I don't have any viewing history prior to the mid 2010s, but I'd say F1 is heading in the right direction if nothing else, especially this year

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
What's stopping you now?
The sport becoming a contest of who saves gas and tires and engines the best, compared to the olden days when there were fuel re-fillings and the engines were taken to the limit and bursting in a massive cloud of smoke ever so often.

The day I broke down was when Nico Rosberg was asking his team in middle of a Gran Prix what he should be doing and he was told to "give it all you got"... for the next three or so rounds.

Also, half the drivers in the supposed king class of motor racing being rich daddy's boys who are paying the team so that they can drive Formula 1.

The sand around the track being replaced with asphalt so no one has to retire and feel bad after going wide.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I've been here for almost 11 years, I think this thread might be the most discussed about auto racing of any kind in that time here at HFCanes

Reactions: DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I've been here for almost 11 years, I think this thread might be the most discussed about auto racing of any kind in that time here at HFCanes
False. Every time some Northern troll comes down to tell us we shouldn’t have hockey, we are told that all we care about is “Nas Car”. Lots of racing talk then.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3