Movies: Halloween Ends - October 14th, 2022

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Get Out was good. I like "Us" probably even better, but they do use the gore in the scenes where their friends die. Not necessary. The Conjuring comes to mind as another somewhat recent movie that relied on suspense mostly.
It follows was the best horror movie in the last 15 years that I saw. May check these out

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Good post. I just watched it recently, and feel the same way. I liked it, but understand how a lot of fans viewed it as a bait-and-switch. It was focused away from Michael, and more about another fledgling killer, and an old Laurie coming to terms with her ordeal.
This one didn't have the long, tense pursuits of victims, didn't have the trademark theme rolling (much), not a large body count.. It wasn't a typical Halloween sequel, but I liked it's subtleties. I thought it was a good stripped down story of vengeance. The protégé seeking revenge against his tormentors & Laurie getting final vengeance ( it's never really final, but..).

Fellow Halloween fans who hated it, I get it.. but I liked the elements (& mood) that made it a different kind of sequel. And I do think giving co-stars more focus is actually originalist.. the first Halloween story was co-written as much about Laurie as Michael. I think by audience-demand, Michael became the star, but I don't know if that's what Carpenter & Hill had in mind(?)
I'm waiting for Make Halloween End Again.

The problem with trying to be original is compounded by the fact that as a whole the franchise has set certain expectations and this was the third installment of the reboot. Why would you wait until the third installment of the reboot to introduce new elements? The time for that was in the first one, not number three, after expectations were already set.

Reactions: Osprey

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
The problem with trying to be original is compounded by the fact that as a whole the franchise has set certain expectations and this was the third installment of the reboot. Why would you wait until the third installment of the reboot to introduce new elements? The time for that was in the first one, not number three, after expectations were already set.
Yeah, I can't speak for them. I haven't really read any interviews with the director/writers etc. Don't remember if I've even seen all three of the reboot triology to be honest. (After H20 I basically checked out as an attentive fan..)
And I mentioned, I'm not trying to shill for the movie, I just personally enjoyed it.

Maybe as the trilogy was progressing, they felt like they had to address the aging issue. Seeing a 65 year old Laurie being chased isn't cute anymore. Possibly midstream, they wanted a movie that was more toned down & introspective, which mirrors the natural aging process. And whether it was pre-planned or not, they felt compelled to age the vibe of the last movie(?)
I'm certain there will be more Halloween(s) tho. I kinda took away they're willing to bring up more Michael protégés & circle back to time-tested babysitter killings, etc.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah, I can't speak for them. I haven't really read any interviews with the director/writers etc. Don't remember if I've even seen all three of the reboot triology to be honest. (After H20 I basically checked out as an attentive fan..)
And I mentioned, I'm not trying to shill for the movie, I just personally enjoyed it.

Maybe as the trilogy was progressing, they felt like they had to address the aging issue. Seeing a 65 year old Laurie being chased isn't cute anymore. Possibly midstream, they wanted a movie that was more toned down & introspective, which mirrors the natural aging process. And whether it was pre-planned or not, they felt compelled to age the vibe of the last movie(?)
I'm certain there will be more Halloween(s) tho. I kinda took away they're willing to bring up more Michael protégés & circle back to time-tested babysitter killings, etc.

I understand what you're saying, it just didn't work for me at all. They toned down the Laurie stuff in the second and third movie, she could've been cut from the second one altogether and it wouldn't have made a difference for the plot. Would've been nice for them to introduce that boyfriend character way earlier on in the trilogy rather than trying to speed through that entire transformation process in a drawn out way (I love the opening of the movie with him and there was potential there for sure).

Meh, it's whatever. Like you said, you're not trying to push it as a good movie and I respect that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad