Blue Jays Discussion: Halladay Retires as a Blue Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I still have this feeling that Iwakuma will be available at the winter meetings. Wouldn't be surprised if rumours will come up around the meetings involving him. Gallardo too.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Sure; if we're assuming that Fister was ever made available by Dombrowski to any AL team, including the Blue Jays. Judging from the haul, its safe to assume only a few teams were involved.

I'm sure the media will spin it as AA not doing his due-diligence though.

I don't get it, why would he not trade him to an AL team? He already traded Fielder to an AL team. Teams try not to trading within division but I am pretty sure no team has any problem trading a player in the same league. Trading him to the Jays makes zero difference to Detroit because they barely even play each other.

Teams missed the boat on this one or maybe they just thought he was only a #4 starter or something because of his fastball velocity.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
I don't get it, why would he not trade him to an AL team? He already traded Fielder to an AL team. Teams try not to trading within division but I am pretty sure no team has any problem trading a player in the same league. Trading him to the Jays makes zero difference to Detroit because they barely even play each other.

Teams missed the boat on this one or maybe they just thought he was only a #4 starter or something because of his fastball velocity.

He also traded Granderson to the Yanks. Hopefully A.A. did his due dilligence on this deal and didn't miss the boat or has something else lined up.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Yep - Detroit wouldn't care about trading their back-of the rotation guy to one of the worst teams in the AL.

This is either AA being asleep at the switch again, or else he's closing in on other targets.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
The Nationals pretty much stole a top 25 pitcher for nothing. Good for them.

This is what we needed:

Eno Sarris: This is your best year as measured by ground balls. If you look over your career, it’s more ground balls every year. Are ground balls something you focus on?

Doug Fister: That’s my main focus, really. I try to attack the hitter and get as bad contact as I can in the first three pitches. If I can do that, I feel I can go longer in the game and have more effectiveness throughout the game. I’m trying to be as efficient as possible, I’m trying to get every ground ball. If I could, I’d get 27 ground balls straight. If I didn’t strike anybody out, that wouldn’t worry me.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I still have this feeling that Iwakuma will be available at the winter meetings. Wouldn't be surprised if rumours will come up around the meetings involving him. Gallardo too.

In Davidi's book he said AA was actually close to aquiring Iwakuma at one point.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

I don't know man. If you and I are smart enough to know that he's far more than a #4 starter, isn't it safe to assume that professional baseball minds would know the same? Moreover, would there not be a far superior package to be had if the bidding had been open across all of baseball? It's clear that the market was limited, whether it was AL teams, or another reason we're unaware of.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
People can complain about AA being certain things, notion he's asleep at the switch seems demonstrably false. He talks to GMs more than their respective wives do.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
I don't know man. If you and I are smart enough to know that he's far more than a #4 starter, isn't it safe to assume that professional baseball minds would know the same? Moreover, would there not be a far superior package to be had if the bidding had been open across all of baseball? It's clear that the market was limited, whether it was AL teams, or another reason we're unaware of.

As long as A.A. did his due diligence and Dombrowski replied with saying it'll cost Sanchez, Stroman, or Osuna +++ I am fine. If he didn't then it worries me.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
sucks that the jays couldn't get Fister but the silver lining is that he's out of the AL

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
As long as A.A. did his due diligence and Dombrowski replied with saying it'll cost Sanchez, Stroman, or Osuna +++ I am fine. If he didn't then it worries me.

Is it possible that AA is planning a larger deal that addresses several needs at once? Similar to (but not the same magnitude) of the Marlins deal?

Today we could be disappointed in the lack of a deal for Fister, tomorrow they could announce a larger deal for two starting pitchers, a 2B and a guy to replace Rajai. Who knows.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

But why would they do that and get a poor return? They have already traded bigger name and players just as good, if not better than Fister so why wouldn't they trade him to an AL team? I could understand maybe if it was Verlander but I have a hard time believing that for Fister.

I think Detroit must have really loved Robbie Ray or something.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

I wouldn't think for a second that AA wasn't in contact with Detroit knowing they were always rumoured to be moving a starter. My assumption is the same as others that unless the jays were willing to pay a steep price he would be going to the NL. I just don't understand this from the Tigers perspective. They go no value out of the deal at all. Just made themselves worse which is good for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad