Hall/Holtby vs Pastrnak/Vasilevskiy

Discussion in 'General Fantasy Talk' started by jaric1862, Sep 24, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. jaric1862

jaric1862 Registered User

Whats a better tandem to have for fantasy? Typical stats G,A,P,+/-,Shots,PPP,Wins,GAA,Sv%,Shutouts

2. AnomX

AnomX Registered User

1 year Pasta/Vasi
    keeper Pasta/vasi

/thread

3. jaric1862

jaric1862 Registered User

So basically Pasta/Vasi either way? its not a keeper league by the way

JayF likes this.
  4. AnomX

AnomX Registered User

For me yes, -- Vasi will have better stats than Holtby and Pastrnak will be better or equal to Hall

5. sholi2000

sholi2000 No One Gets Left Behind

Owner Sholi2000.com
    Home Page:
    Holtby had a poor season by his standards, and Vas is superior in all areas of fantasy, so it comes down to how your points system works. You have 4 goalie categories, and 6 player categories. That means what? Hall/Holtby produce more that Pastrnak and Vasilevskiy.

For me the difference is Hall......unlike the above opinion I like Hall in all areas of fantasy. I don't know what I am seeing in Pastrnak to pick him over Hall.

6. AnomX

AnomX Registered User

While I agree if you directly compare last years results directly Hall would be the more valuable player. Look at it over a number of years and Pastrnak is the more consistent player. Looking at Halls career shooting percentage and PP output I would be bet on Hall regressing. Pastrnak just turned 22 with room to improve. From that perspective I take vasi/pastrnak as being the safe play where I know both will perform.

Also -- 4 out of 10 categories is 40%. That 40% falls on 2/3 players... this puts a lot of value on a few players (your goalies). Where the 60% falls on many players 10-20 skaters.

Therefore, if Holtby has another poor season, you're going to feel it a lot more than losing out on a few skater peripherals every week, as long as you drafted properly.

My 2 cents.

7. rangerssharks414

rangerssharks414 Moderator

Vasilevskiy and Pastrnak for me. I don't think it's that close to be honest.

8. ConorMcGregor

ConorMcGregor Registered User

Holtby had a poor regular season(by his standards) then went on a run and won the cup lol

34 Wins and 16 losses was a bad year for Holtby(his GAA and save% were poor with 0 Shutouts).

That bad year is still above most goaltenders in the league AND the previous 3 years he had 41-48 wins, a 2.02-2.22 GAA and 92.2%-92.9% sv and he had 9, then 3, then 9 shutouts.

Usually, Holtby is a safe pick every year for top 5 goalie and that kind of consistency makes me feel safer. I have him in 2 keeper leagues and while he was "Not good" last year, he also wasn't bad. Only 6 goalies in the league had more wins than him.

Tampa looks to be a destroyer moving forward and Vasi was a big part of that. But I HATE grabbing a guy based off of 1 good fantasy year.

In recent memory.

Varlamov looked to be a nuclear beast 1 year, then was league worst the next.

Cam Talbot was a workhorse on an up and coming McDavid lead Oilers team then stuttered badly the next year, etc

Matt Murray won a cup and ousted Fleury as #1 goalie. On a strong team he looked invincible. But he had a bad year last year on a strong team after 1 good year. but good old consistent Fleury went to a new team and was a world beater(Concussions aside)