Music: Hall and Oates? More like Hall Vs Oates

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

This is interesting but not surprising. Daryl Hall has been less then nice in interviews when asked about John Oates. I remember an interview last year were he made it clear they were not friends and were just business partners and that was it.

from a few years ago

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
What's with these old geezers?

Simon & Garfunkel would be another example, but that's easier to understand, since it was so lopsided; Simon was the creative one and thus also the clearly richer one, which must have been a somewhat hard pill to swallow for Artie (not that he is the only one to blame). In this case, though, the more successful partner (i.e. Hall, he was obviously the main face & voice) seems to be the more bitter party. Does he feel nowadays that he should have been a solo artist from the start and/or that Oates has gotten too much credit for their work, even though I think Hall has always dominated the writing credits slightly?

I guess it's all too easy for me to say, since these things can get very complicated. :dunno:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I have a ton of respect for Daryl Hall as a musician. His YouTube channel, "Live From Daryl's House", is a joy to watch. He has such obvious respect for the talented musicians he brings in to play with, making it sadly ironic his relationship with his oldest collaborator has become toxic.

Oates wrote or co-wrote some of H&O's biggest hits. After so many decades I doubt they'd be battling over those old tunes. Whatever the issue, I hope these two guys avoid ripping each other apart in public and resolve it.

Dec 29, 2004
They haven't actually broken up as a band... so, how bad can it be?

This kind of reminds me of those Beatles law suits, where it really wasn't personal but a contract is a contract and business is business. I would guess that Oates wants to tour and Hall doesn't and a contract clause has been violated and in stepped the lawyers.

In November 2023, Hall filed a lawsuit against Oates and his trust due to contractual and financial disputes; the details of the case are currently confidential.[59] Hall additionally issued a restraining order against Oates in the wake of the charges.[60]

Last edited:

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Not knowing the details, I can't for certain say which one's ego is getting the better of him, but it sure looks like Daryl Hall's ATM. I mean, why shouldn't Oates be allowed to sing at least those songs that have him listed as co-author?

On Bill Maher's podcast, Hall claimed that he has collaborated more with other people than ever with Oates, even though the writing credits tell otherwise; so apparently he suddenly has a problem with those credits. But why only now and not before? Seemingly it was never a Lennon-McCartney type of arrangement where both got credited in spite of the actual author.

Dec 29, 2004
Not knowing the details, I can't for certain say which one's ego is getting the better of him, but it sure looks like Daryl Hall's ATM. I mean, why shouldn't Oates be allowed to sing at least those songs that have him listed as co-author?
It might be that neither of them is allowed, contractually, to perform those songs solo or without financial compensation to the other.

On Bill Maher's podcast, Hall claimed that he has collaborated more with other people than ever with Oates, even though the writing credits tell otherwise; so apparently he suddenly has a problem with those credits. But why only now and not before? Seemingly it was never a Lennon-McCartney type of arrangement where both got credited in spite of the actual author.

That podcast is over a year old and full of juicy bits to sensationalize for clicks, it might not even be relevant to the current impasse. Only Daryl knows, at this point, and he will have been advised not to comment on the ongoing dispute.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
It might be that neither of them is allowed, contractually, to perform those songs solo or without financial compensation to the other.
I'm pretty sure that at least Hall has performed some H&O songs in solo performances in the past and even more recently. I think it's given that writers will be financially compensated when their songs are played publicly?

The podcast is over a year old and full of juicy bits to sensationalize for clicks, it might not even be relevant to the current impasse. Only Daryl knows, at this point, and he will have been advised not to comment on the ongoing dispute.
Hey, don't start nitpicking; a 1+ year old podcast in a career spanning over 50 years is "now". 😊

Of course when a person is dismissive of his long-time partner and their collaboration (in contrast with the song credits), it creates at least some controversy. It's only natural. But for now I'll just say that hopefully they are able to settle their dispute somehow.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I caught the end of a radio show out of NYC and it sounds like last year... there were certain songs Oates was not suppose to sing solo and it sounds like Oates has now ignored the list and that is where the problem started. Sounds like Oates sang songs the Hall 100% wrote like Rich Girl, Everytime you go away, Kiss in my list and a few others. IF he did--he was suppose to pay Hall some money as well as Sarah Allen and he sisters estate, This might not just be Hall getting his ego out of hand by Oates doing songs it was agreed he would not do.

For those who know the band, there is that duo was/is called Daryl Hall and John Oates. Two individuals that perform together. If Oates has stuck to his songs or songs he co wrote with Hall--sounds like things would have been okay

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I caught the end of a radio show out of NYC and it sounds like last year... there were certain songs Oates was not suppose to sing solo and it sounds like Oates has now ignored the list and that is where the problem started. Sounds like Oates sang songs the Hall 100% wrote like Rich Girl, Everytime you go away, Kiss in my list and a few others. IF he did--he was suppose to pay Hall some money as well as Sarah Allen and he sisters estate, This might not just be Hall getting his ego out of hand by Oates doing songs it was agreed he would not do.
If so, that would certainly change things, and it would make the latter TMZ article that you posted misleading; it lists also songs that they co-wrote (according to the songwriting credits) and makes it sound like Hall doesn't allow Oates to do what he is doing himself.

While it still sounds a wee bit petty to me, Hall would definitely have a case and it would make Oates' actions unnecessarily defiant... After all, there are plenty of big hits/classic songs that he did co-write, and he could've stuck with those, along with his solo stuff/compositions.

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2004

It’s now been revealed that Hall is attempting to block his longtime musical partner from selling his share in their joint venture to Primary Wave Music.

According to the AP report, what it is that Hall can’t go for is Oates’ desire to sell his share of the duo’s Whole Oats Enterprises to the investment firm, which already purchased a “significant” stake in their catalog rights 16 years ago.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I have a ton of respect for Daryl Hall as a musician. His YouTube channel, "Live From Daryl's House", is a joy to watch. He has such obvious respect for the talented musicians he brings in to play with, making it sadly ironic his relationship with his oldest collaborator has become toxic.

Oates wrote or co-wrote some of H&O's biggest hits. After so many decades I doubt they'd be battling over those old tunes. Whatever the issue, I hope these two guys avoid ripping each other apart in public and resolve it.
Darryl Hall is one of the best singers of all time.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I can understand WHY Hall is pissed.

The moment I heard Primary Wave was the company that was involved I understood. PW has a long history of screwing artists over.

Hall has every right to be concerned that PW would keep accurate records on just how much they made of their "half" of Hall and Oates publishing rights.

So far 3 CEOS of the company have resigned due to how they did their math and how they decided to what they were suppose to pay the people/companies who owned part the catalog.

PW has a very bad reputation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad