News Article: Hall an undervalued asset for Flyers

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Not sure why the disjunction is: Hall or Laughton.

I'd rather have both of them over Rosehill, potentially Rinaldo and VV.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Not sure why the disjunction is: Hall or Laughton.

I'd rather have both of them over Rosehill, potentially Rinaldo and VV.

It's really not one or the other. VV was playing C with Hall at RW, sliding over when necessary. There's no reason that can't continue with Laughton and Hall. A 4th of Raffl-Laughton-Hall would be pretty damn good IMO.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why not re-sign Hall AND another 4th liner and let Laughton start in the AHL. Then, IF Laughton shows that he can handle playing against men for over half a season, look at bringing him up then. We are so impatient to have out prospects play. Let them PROVE themselves in the AHL for awhile. I would rather Laughton gets tons of ice time on the 1st line in the AHL. Allow our prospect to develop their offensive game instead of smothering them in defensive roles. We can get cheap UFA's for that.

While it has been good having Couts in the 3rd line defensive role, it would be nice to have a rookie come in like Scheifele and actually PRODUCE offensively as a rookie. We all use Richards as an example of it working playing 4th line minutes. People forget ghost he went back after being drafted and played 2 more years of Jr. And got a whole playoff run in the AHL before touching the NHL.

Stop rushing our top prospects to play 4th line minutes. Pay the Hall's of the world to do it.

RJ8812*

Why not re-sign Hall AND another 4th liner and let Laughton start in the AHL. Then, IF Laughton shows that he can handle playing against men for over half a season, look at bringing him up then. We are so impatient to have out prospects play. Let them PROVE themselves in the AHL for awhile. I would rather Laughton gets tons of ice time on the 1st line in the AHL. Allow our prospect to develop their offensive game instead of smothering them in defensive roles. We can get cheap UFA's for that.

While it has been good having Couts in the 3rd line defensive role, it would be nice to have a rookie come in like Scheifele and actually PRODUCE offensively as a rookie. We all use Richards as an example of it working playing 4th line minutes. People forget ghost he went back after being drafted and played 2 more years of Jr. And got a whole playoff run in the AHL before touching the NHL.

Stop rushing our top prospects to play 4th line minutes. Pay the Hall's of the world to do it.

because that makes too much sense

I personally think Laughton won't be anywhere near as good as most fans think he'll be

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
They highlighted Adam Hall in the new Flight Plan. I really liked his contributions to the team, and I certainly notice his effort on the ice. Some nights when the Flyers are really stinking it up, Adam Hall makes our fourth line the best line on the team.

We should definitely keep him going forward

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I like Hall and I think he's a solid 4th liner. With that said I'm hoping for a 4ty line of Raffl-Laughton-McGinn/Cousins next year. The truly good teams in the league have a 4th line that can play 12 minutes on a regular basis and contribute. Hall, while he's more versatile then Rinaldo and Rosehill, is two one dimensional. He's a very good pker, wins loads of face offs and is OK defensively as ES but going forward we can do without his pking (Raffl, Read, Couturier, Laughton, Giroux and if need be Schenn). I don't think his face off skills are enough to keep him around.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would rather have Hall stay around 1 more year then throw Laughton on the 4th line. I want Laughton to go to the AHL and prove he can contribute against men and then call him up if he is ready...like we did with Giroux.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I would rather have Hall stay around 1 more year then throw Laughton on the 4th line. I want Laughton to go to the AHL and prove he can contribute against men and then call him up if he is ready...like we did with Giroux.

I'm not suggesting you just hand him a job in the NHL but if he outplays Hall then give him a spot. Richards only played in the AHL for the PO run, he was in the NHL centering the 4th line the next season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And it didn't hurt him one bit. With the Flyers cap issues having Raffl as the third line winger next season and Hall, Laughton and Rinaldo on the 4th line makes a ton of sense.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Flyers 1st round picks don't go to the AHL if they anticipate them being a significant contributor for the future. Giroux is an exception, it was half of a season, and they didn't even want to have to do it, but they were capped out.

RJ8812*

Flyers 1st round picks don't go to the AHL if they anticipate them being a significant contributor for the future. Giroux is an exception, it was half of a season, and they didn't even want to have to do it, but they were capped out.

Giroux had a bad training camp as well. I think he was battling mono

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Great fourth liners are generally vastly undervalued just because they're fourth liners. In reality though a great fourth line can be an ace on face-offs (or at least very good) and provide a lot of PK ability with defensive responsibility so that the minutes can be more evenly distributed.

It's why guys like Hall or Betts have been so easy to acquire in the past. They fly under the radar and sometimes get shoved to the side for goons or face-punchers like Cote or Shelley.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00