News Article: Hall an undervalued asset for Flyers

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Hall an undervalued asset for Flyers

His stats bear out that he is one of just a handful of players who shows up every night ready to play. Hall leads the Flyers in face-offs (59.8 percent, 205-for-343) while taking 10.8 percent of the team’s overall draws. He plays nearly a third (3:16) of his average time on ice (9:43) on the penalty kill, which explains why he has registered 54 hits and 24 blocked shots.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Hall-an-undervalued-asset-for-Flyers.html

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I was beating this drum in the offseason and was happy when he got signed.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
I remember many people were pissed how a guy that was waived by the canes could make our roster this year. Glad he proved them wrong.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I like him, but I want my fourth line center to be Laughton next year, so unless he can move to wing, I don't think we can keep him.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He needs to stay, I get that Laughton needs to be up here, but Hall is a proven depth player that doesn't make mistakes.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I like him, but I want my fourth line center to be Laughton next year, so unless he can move to wing, I don't think we can keep him.
I really don't get why everyone has a hardo for laughton "having" to play in the nhl, especially for 5 minutes a night. How about letting him play in the ahl first getting top minutes.

hall is a fine role player.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
I mentioned it on another thread - he does a fantastic job at faceoffs. I hope they keep him on board after this season

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I really don't get why everyone has a hardo for laughton "having" to play in the nhl, especially for 5 minutes a night. How about letting him play in the ahl first getting top minutes.

hall is a fine role player.

Laughton's ice time would likely be higher than that because of his defensive play. He's a valuable PKer & this team takes a **** ton of penalties which doesn't seem to be changing any time soon since we're annually in the top 3 every season.

Laughton also brings two other elements to the table that we currently lack in skating & speed.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Laughton's ice time would likely be higher than that because of his defensive play. He's a valuable PKer & this team takes a **** ton of penalties which doesn't seem to be changing any time soon since we're annually in the top 3 every season.

Laughton also brings two other elements to the table that we currently lack in skating & speed.
if he is 4th line c, he won't get much time.

I'd rather he get 1 season of #1C in the AHL.

you want to destroy a young player...bounce him around like we are doing to Downie because we don't have room.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

you want to destroy a young player...bounce him around like we are doing to Downie because we don't have room.

It didn't hurt Richards & didn't seem to hurt Couturier starting their careers off on the forth line.

Adam Hall currently plays 10 minutes a game at the 4th center spot, plus injuries always happen & will lead to chances for increased time. There's really no problem with him playing in the NHL next year. He's played well in the preseason games & his five game stint last year to prove he's capable of playing in this league.

He's got some decent upside but it's not off the charts to where you'd worry about ruining it.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
He's a very hard worker and a great face off guy. Wanted this guy on the team for a long time and I'm happy he did come here.

Raffl-Laughton-Hall for the 4th line next year. That would be great.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Put him at wing while Laughton plays C. Have him take key draws though, the guy has a 60% FO winning %.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It didn't hurt Richards & didn't seem to hurt Couturier starting their careers off on the forth line.

Adam Hall currently plays 10 minutes a game at the 4th center spot, plus injuries always happen & will lead to chances for increased time. There's really no problem with him playing in the NHL next year. He's played well in the preseason games & his five game stint last year to prove he's capable of playing in this league.

He's got some decent upside but it's not off the charts to where you'd worry about ruining it.

Hall is too valuable to get rid of in order to give Laughton a spot. Let Laughton play wing like pretty much ever other center the Flyers draft.

Edit: or Laughton at C and Hall at W as others suggest. Haven't seen enough of Laughton to know how he would play at wing. I would much rather give Rinaldo's spot to Laughton than Hall's.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hall is too valuable to get rid of in order to give Laughton a spot. Let Laughton play wing like pretty much ever other center the Flyers draft.

I never said get rid of Hall but he'll likely get relegated to the wing spot if anything.

Laughton's good at draws in juniors obviously that doesn't mean it will necessarily translate right away but it's an asset of his none the less. Laughton hasn't played much on the wing during his junior career in Oshawa (it's a main reason he hasn't been getting ton of minutes until these last two years because of what was in front of him).

Giroux & Carter played the wing with the Flyers at certain points & were successful but I think both of them are too talented of players to where it doesn't really matter where you put them up front. Other times it hasn't really worked out like what we have been seeing with Schenn the last few years.

Laughton's not as skilled as the guys so I think it would be a tough transition much like Schenn has had because of the lack of experience & the fact that neither of them are as talented enough as Giroux or Carter.

Laughton's defense is also a big part of his game so moving him out of the center spot would kind of take a bit off his overall package to what he brings to the game.

Last edited:

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I wouldn't be displacing Hall and his 60% faceoff winning percentage, especially with a shaky back end like this.

He's a great 4C to flank with a couple of smart guys who can skate.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

Exactly. There is nothing wrong with Laughton playing a full season (or even half) in the AHL playing top minutes.

Hall is the type of player you need at center on the 4th line. Wins faceoffs and plays defense.

Won't ruin Laughton at all to play in the AHL. Remember, he actually did not look good this past preseason. Now not saying it will happen again, but if he comes into preseason looking average he should be in the AHL. Now I am not against keeping him if he really impresses but the AHL is not a bad place.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Exactly. There is nothing wrong with Laughton playing a full season (or even half) in the AHL playing top minutes.

Hall is the type of player you need at center on the 4th line. Wins faceoffs and plays defense.

Won't ruin Laughton at all to play in the AHL. Remember, he actually did not look good this past preseason. Now not saying it will happen again, but if he comes into preseason looking average he should be in the AHL. Now I am not against keeping him if he really impresses but the AHL is not a bad place.

We'll see but having Adam Hall in the fold wouldn't decide Laughton's fate for next year in my opinion. If Laughton can play & help the team (even if it's on the forth line) next year I would put him in the lineup that's my point.

It's still a half a year away until training camp for next year so anything could happen from now until then though. Hell Hall is a question mark himself for next year seeing as he's not signed for then.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
He's a very hard worker and a great face off guy. Wanted this guy on the team for a long time and I'm happy he did come here.

Raffl-Laughton-Hall for the 4th line next year. That would be great.

This, I want a 4th line that the team can role out on a consistent basis and play significant minutes (relative to the role), if needed, without being a detriment to the team. The Flyers really haven't had that since the days of Lappy, Powe and Betts.

And as others have said, playing 10mins a game as a 4th liner isn't hurting a player's development. That is as long as you keep your expectations in check. Expecting big things from young players but only giving them limited opportunities and then punishing them for not living up to expectations is how you ruin players. Developing players need opportunities (that can come in the form of pk duties for Laughton in year one for example) and patience. Not all players are future All-Stars who become major/impact players in the first couple years of their careers.

Edit: This is all assuming that Laughton is good enough to earn a spot in camp.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Laughton is talented enough to help this team on the 4th line next season. He will help us win games in a way that Rinaldo, Rosehill and VdV don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad