Halifax Mooseheads: 2017-2018 Thread

SnaGG

Dec 16, 2014
Training camp kicked off today , any names to watch out for other then our first rounders ? Im a season ticket holder and have been sitting next to Brandon Stones uncle since day 1 , hopping he can make a name for himself .

SnaGG

Dec 16, 2014
Kyte and Barron looked great together really big game from both of them .

Parent showed his speed and hands more then once .

Thought Rich had a great game as well , lots of breakaways and rushes .

Patten could fight for a roster spot as well showed lots of hustle .

SnaGG

Dec 16, 2014
It was always a long shot but ,Would Newhook and Merritt need to report to Rookie camp if they decide to play for us this year or could they still show up for main camp ?

CrazyPucker27

Jun 25, 2012
Charlottetown
It was always a long shot but ,Would Newhook and Merritt need to report to Rookie camp if they decide to play for us this year or could they still show up for main camp ?

Could show up at any time from now until their 20 year old seasons if they remain on the protected list. That said, extremely wishful thinking.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I like Blais. I think he should probably be Gravel's backup this year. and they should go grab a 20 yo Dmen to mentor that young D

It'll be a battle between him and McLaren for that backup spot, tough to say who'll win. It'll be interesting going in to the season as a team that could possibly contend with two 17 year-old goalies.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
It'll be a battle between him and McLaren for that backup spot, tough to say who'll win. It'll be interesting going in to the season as a team that could possibly contend with two 17 year-old goalies.

Must confess I was a little upset to see Blais cut; He's looked very good this training camp and would have made a more than capable backup to Gravel.

Also kind of against wasting one of our overager spots on a backup goalie...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Must confess I was a little upset to see Blais cut; He's looked very good this training camp and would have made a more than capable backup to Gravel.

Also kind of against wasting one of our overager spots on a backup goalie...

Blais needs to play more minutes and he won't be playing behind Gravel. Makes sense to me. Personally, I like Mann-Dixon as our back-up. He's going to help us in the back to back games and I'm sure Gravel can learn a bit from him. Also, it's hard to say what our roster will look like heading into the playoffs. Maybe we trade Blade at the deadline and call up Blais?

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
I like keeping Mann-Dixon as backup. He's proved to be very capable when filling in for Gravel and if we want to have a decent season this year, he will be needed. Wouldn't feel extremely comfortable having a McLaren/Blais duo if Gravel were away or injured at some point. However, hopefully the two of them will get some starts this year to gain more experience leading into next season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes . unless Nico has a HORRIBlE time in NJ.

Is Nico coming back to Halifax or back overseas if he don't make the Devils roster? I'm hearing all kinds of rumors. Personally, I think Nico needs to bulk up more if he wants to make the NHL. Devils should not insert him into the line-up as a 18 year old. Same situation as Drouin and Ehlers. They are very talented and can skate very well but not tough enough to take the pounding they will get in the NHL with less time and space. Mark my words, if Nico makes the Devils, he gets a shoulder injury before January and this derails his development

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
Is Nico coming back to Halifax or back overseas if he don't make the Devils roster? I'm hearing all kinds of rumors. Personally, I think Nico needs to bulk up more if he wants to make the NHL. Devils should not insert him into the line-up as a 18 year old. Same situation as Drouin and Ehlers. They are very talented and can skate very well but not tough enough to take the pounding they will get in the NHL with less time and space. Mark my words, if Nico makes the Devils, he gets a shoulder injury before January and this derails his development

Drouin and Ehlers were very different situations. For Drouin it was more a combo of no room for him on the roster, and his attitude issue. Not physicality. Ehlers is a better comparison IMO.

SnaGG

Dec 16, 2014
Rich , Hart , Stewart , Toner & McGovern are the final cuts .

Not gonna lie , I thought Rich was far better then Crossley , I get it he's plays forward and D , but I honsetly haven't seen him do well at either , so I'm kinda blown away they wouldn't give the spot to someone else .

Keep in mind that alot of this team will miss time for the World Jr's and NHL camps so early on there will be calls ups .

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Lines prediction based on final roster to start the year:

Zadina - Groulx - Fortier
Parent - Somppi - Moynihan
Durandeau - Lavoie - Higgins
Petten - Bishop - Dachyshyn
Crossley (might play some D)

McIsaac - Barron
Chainey - Jones
Kyte - Barbosa
Injured: Flower, Lepage

Gravel
Mann-Dixon

Once Flower and Lepage are back we'll likely see:

McIsaac - Barron
Chainey - Flower
Kyte - Lepage

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site

McIsaac - Barron
Chainey - Jones
Kyte - Barbosa

Gravel
Mann-Dixon

McIsaac - Barron
Chainey - Flower
Kyte - Lepage

Parent ahead of Durandeau?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

McIsaac - Barron
Chainey - Jones
Kyte - Barbosa

Gravel
Mann-Dixon

McIsaac - Barron
Chainey - Flower
Kyte - Lepage

Is it Flower or Lepage who was playing top 4 last year and couldn't pivot at all, leading to multiple odd man rushes last year in the play-offs?

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013

McIsaac - Barron
Chainey - Jones
Kyte - Barbosa

Gravel
Mann-Dixon

McIsaac - Barron
Chainey - Flower
Kyte - Lepage

although promising, what has zadina proved in noth america to be slotted 1st line ?

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
although promising, what has zadina proved in noth america to be slotted 1st line ?

Technically nothing but he's done plenty in Europe and internationally to prove that he's a high-end caliber player at the junior level. He might not slot in there right away but it won't take long for him to prove it to the team.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Technically nothing but he's done plenty in Europe and internationally to prove that he's a high-end caliber player at the junior level. He might not slot in there right away but it won't take long for him to prove it to the team.

agreed it wont be long

my concern with this team is their ability when things will get physical
imo a soft team in that aspect

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
agreed it wont be long

my concern with this team is their ability when things will get physical
imo a soft team in that aspect

Their D has pretty good size and physicality overall and then you've got big guys Moynihan, Dachyshyn and Lavoie up front. Hopefully Somppi shows a bit more grit this year. Some smaller guys and a young team, but I think they'll hold their own physically in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad