Halfway Point Predictions/Hopes?

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Here we are, done 41/82 games after a 5-0 win over the Canucks. We're sitting at 2nd in the divison, and 2nd in the league with 56 points (27-12-2), and a +39 goal differential. What are your hopes and/or predictions for the next half of the season? Will we continue our pace and hit 112 points, or get more or less? What about total team goals. Currently we're on pace for 304 GF, and 226 GA. For reference, Tampa scored 296 last season, the highest in the league, and LA allowed 203, lowest in the league. Best difference was Tampa at +60. Which players will slow down, which ones will pick it up down the stretch? Anticipating any major deadline moves? Improvements in certain areas of the game?

I for one hope to see our PP evolve. Ever since Nylander has come back I haven't been particularly impressed, and we currently sit 8th, scoring at 22.9%. Not awful, but with the skill we have on those two units, I'm thinking we could get that up to around 25% by year's end. Also, the PK could do better, we're about 2% lower than last season's, and sitting at 16th in the league, which is just about average. But overall, special teams are good, I just think they could be a bigger strength if we can improve. I personally think that we might do slightly worse down the stretch, maybe dip into the 105-110 point range, hit around 290-295 GF, and 230-235 GA.

As far as individual players go, I think Marner, JT, and Rielly are the obvious candidates to slow down. I don't see Marner sustaining a 110 point pace, JT sustaining a 54 goal pace, or Rielly sustaining an 88 point pace.

A couple of mine:
- I want the PP to get up around 25%, especially with Nylander boosting the 2nd unit
- Predicting drops in offensive production level for team as a whole, especially Marner, JT, Rielly, & Matthews
- Kadri will hit 25 goals by season's end
- Dermott to play more minutes than Hainsey & Zaitsev in the second half
- Moore will earn a spot with the team come playoff time

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I expect a similar record for the next 41 games, so something along the lines of a 26-12-3 record. Which would see the Leafs finish with a 53-24-5, 111 point record. But with this ridiculous seeding system our fantastic season will be rewarded by having to face another 100+ point top Atlantic team.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
That, plus I hope we can stay at least in 2nd and have home ice advantage in the first round. It's been like 15 years since the Leafs started a playoff series at home lol. It's such a relaxing feeling when you know you have a potential game 7 in your own barn.
That's my #1 hope this season too. Get home ice advantage for the playoffs.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Predictions

Matthews/Nylander line becomes the #1 line
Nylander scores 45+ pts
We will see Rosen come up sooner or later
Hutchinson becomes our defacto backup
Sparks gets traded
Tavares scores 50 goals

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not really expecting to catch Tampa, but I'll be happy to maintain second place and have home ice advantage for the first round. I imagine there will be at least one trade deadline addition. Hopefully for depth purposes rather than injury. Would be great to have a relatively healthy second half and the stability that comes with that. If not, that's what depth is for.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We barely hold off Boston for 2nd place and they bounce us in 6 ,,,,1rst round

Their style will get us totally tilted and the penalty imbalance will be heinous , just like last POs.

Nylander will be a complete and utter non factor for the rest of this season , including POs.

Matty and Mitch will run us 23 million minimum and with 4 forwards taking up half the 23 man roster cap space, we will have to start thinning/diluting our roster before we have even won a single PO round.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Just hope they keep winning, a lot can and will happen before seasons end. Can't wait!

member 298589

I want Hyman - Matthews - Nylander back together as our #2 line for an extended period.

I also want to sniff Round 2 of the playoffs. I don't think our SC window is truly open until we integrate Sandin in a top 4 D role, which is probably 2 years out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad